Electric drill bearing source?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am

I inherited my Dad's old drill - a real workhorse.
It is a Dunlap / Sears Roebuck 1/2" drill 425 rpms.
Model # 107.25830
I am looking for the ball bearing in the front end of the drill right behind the chuck.
Sears parts can't find the model # in their database.

Anyone have any ideas where I could find one?
Thanks for your help.

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Electric drill bearing source?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:34 am

Dave, This doesn't answer your question, but may give you a few leads: http://antiqueradios.com/forums//viewto ... 2&t=195919
Have you taken the bearing to a bearing shop or looked at McMaster-Carr or Grainger?

Bob

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm

That appears to be a ball thrust bearing. If no numbers are visible with magnification, measure with precise calipers every dimension of the bearing. Using those plus a little imagination in an Internet search should find a suitable substitute.
If all else fails, a machine shop could make a brass substitute which will work rather well.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Dave:

The link Bob provided is interesting as it deals with your drill. Might be worthwhile investigating that.

Them old 1/2" drills are real bears for work -- I love my MasterCraft that I inherited from Em's Dad. It ain't ever going anywhere. I think the best place to source parts would be a shop that repairs these tools. They usually have huge parts catalogs that cross reference all different makes/house brands. Here - Power Plus repairs all makes and models and they were able to source parts for some 40 and 50 year old tools we have.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:46 pm

When I needed a bearing for a Singer vacuum that singer said could not be repaired, I went to the local family owned supply house. Mostly auto now, but back in the day they supplied Cannon Mills Co. Fortunately I had a number to go by. Loctite bearing set and good to go as long as we owned it. BTW need a bushing for bendix end of a starter for B&S 8 horse engine.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Since you've got it out, take it to a bearing supply house. They should be able to match it up.

My Dad had one just like it. Those things will hurt you. I don't know how many times I got wrapped up in ours.Image

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Bob, did you scroll down a little on the antique radio site and see this? :D
I once was on a burial detail for a retired dentist. He had been working on his boat and he electrocuted himself entirely with his drill. (I heard he had been standing in water, at the time).

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Yes, but I don't have a boat so I wasn't too concerned. :D

Bob

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Yes, but I don't have a boat so I wasn't too concerned. :D

Bob

Just don't stand in water while working on your Cub.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks for all the guidance Guys !!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 am

I had good luck with this company… http://www.bearingheadquarters.com

Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:51 am

Don McCombs wrote:Bob, did you scroll down a little on the antique radio site and see this? :D
I once was on a burial detail for a retired dentist. He had been working on his boat and he electrocuted himself entirely with his drill. (I heard he had been standing in water, at the time).

Don that is usually the result of the old drills being wired two wire, after the cord or plug are replaced not putting the hot or the neutral on the proper screw results in the casing of the drill heating up. I found out laying under a truck with my electric impact wrench, every time i needed leverage and got a good ground on my self it had me hopping. :shock:

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:35 am

Many of the older electrical tools, drills, saws, etc. had metal housings but only 2 wire cords when I was younger. Came that way form the factory. Of course in this same time frame, (50+ years ago) very few houses had a ground on the outlet also. It sometimes made life interesting. I have a couple of old drills that I have replaced the original 2 wire cord with a 3 wire, but that can get challenging at times to get it in and find a place to attach the ground.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Just picked up a brass bushing my machinist/welder friend made for me. We will see how many times it will start before it fails. B&S starter.