This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

adds

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: adds

Postby birddog » Sun May 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I ran the malwarebytes and it found 3 problems but getting rid of them made no difference. My virus protection ran Friday and apparently didn't find anything.

I guess I'm going to try a system restore next.

Thanks again for the help.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun May 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Run Spybot Seek and Destroy too. I find that they both catch things the other does not. Spybot has an immunization feature that blocks known bad things. You need to update it manually, but it always works in the background protecting you. They have a excellent system scan and you should run that.

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Sun May 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Looks like the system restore did the trick.

I wonder if the problems that the malwarebytes found and removed were the root cause but it took the restore to completely remove them from the system.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Did you reboot the computer after running the scan? You still should load Spybot and immunize your machine.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Mark:

Glad you got it fixed. Just a couple things to think about.

A lot of people automatically reformat/reload or whatever one wants to call it. This usually isn't what is required. A low level format/return to factory specs is not required unless there is some damage to the hard drive. A system restore should be used when drivers and such end up corrupted, sys restore is not a fix for malware etc., because if the problem is still in the boot record it will be there once the restore has been completed as the infection would still be in the restore point.

Most other problems can be resolved by proper maintenance and following all of the steps. SpyBot S&D, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware happen to be 3 of the best. There are a couple others that are useful -- even Windows Firewall has it's uses surprisingly. But they are only useful if they are used on a regular basis or as recommended by the software provider. Do consider loading these three and running them at least weekly.

bob in CT wrote:Did you reboot the computer after running the scan? You still should load Spybot and immunize your machine.

Can't stress that enough. Rebooting after a maintenance cycle is a must, it removes the traces as well as anything that was in the boot sector. By using the best of the maintenace programs out there (and these ones I have used for many years now both on all of our family computers plus ALL of the computers that I have built/re-built/repaired. One of the biggest problems that I have run into over the years is that most people do not run their protection programs often enough or properly. Even my kids need to remember to run em cause most of their problems with their computers are simply a lack of maintenance.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 am

Did you run the scan while the computer was in Safe Mode? Most, if not all, background programs and spyware just reinstall if you don't start up in Safe Mode to run the scan and then reboot the computer.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Return to “Off Topic”