This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Truck Prices

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Truck Prices

Postby Peter Person » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 am

Larry,
Here in CT the DOT is using a salt-magnesium chloride and/or a salt-calcium chloride brine to pre-treat the roads before a snow storm and then salt after the roads have been plowed. Little to no sand is being used in CT.
The trucking industry in CT has been in an uproar over this for the last few years claiming their trucks are literally rotting out from under them. The DOT response - wash your trucks regularly. Here's a quote from an article earlier this year;

HARTFORD, Conn. —
A group representing trucking companies is asking Connecticut lawmakers to ban an ice-melting chemical the state uses on its roads, saying it's too corrosive.

The Motor Transport Association of Connecticut says legislators should make deicers like magnesium chloride illegal. Association President Michael Riley told the Republican-American of Waterbury that the chemical is corroding trucks at an unprecedented rate and officials should be worried about it affecting bridge metal.

Truckers have been questioning the state's use of a salt and magnesium chloride mixture over the past few years. The state used to use a salt and dirt mix to clear snow and ice off the roads.

State DOT spokesman Kevin Nursick says the mix works well and it's up to motorists to wash their cars to avoid corrosion.

I took a look at the underside of our van back in March when we were doing some engine work - not pretty. Spent about $20 at a car wash getting the underside completely rinsed off.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

That is it! This truck had virtually no rust on it when I bought it, the usual bubbles over the rear fender well. I drive it on several long trips in the winter and two years ago never got a chance to flush the underside. The stuff they use is incredibly destructive.... entire sections of the bed-rails where they attach to the frame were GONE!

Tough on brake lines too!

I painted the hind end of the frame with KBS Rust Seal (package with acid etch) after I scrapped the bed. I will see about the front hopefully this summer. It was a pretty big job, but it's the best vehicle I have ever owned!

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Fri May 03, 2013 6:22 pm

looks good larry, that should help a lot. i spray the underneath of my vehicles with fluild film, hopefully will give me a few more years of life.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 am

I have a 2011 Chevy Impala that looks very similar to that (Buzzard Wing's truck) because the car spent the last two winters in a city that used those types of chemicals for road treatment. I tried to claim rust warranty with GM and they said it was a lack of maintenance on my part.What’s really scary ,the steering tie rod ends and brake hydraulic fluid lines are rusted badly.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun May 05, 2013 8:03 pm

Jack:

JackF wrote:I tried to claim rust warranty with GM and they said it was a lack of maintenance on my part.

That is another reason why I now purchase extended zero deductible warranty and I take my vehicle to my local dealer for every scheduled maintenance and unscheduled maintenance .... this way, they can not ever say it was lack of maintenance because they would have the records. We put the electronic rust protection on our new 2012 Honda .... it is guaranteed to work. We will see what happens.

The City of Moncton, City of Dieppe and the Town of Riverview all utilize the brine solutions and have for a number of years now. Very seldom see any sand in the mix.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed May 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Yep Jack, whatever they use is truly corrosive! I discussed it some at the CT Fest and it seems to be a horror show for big trucks and the trucks spread the stuff. Every metal brake line has been replaced. I had the one between the fuel tank and frame let go on Christmas Eve in the driveway when I was picking up a Cub... :cry: That was the only line that had not been replaced. The Cub is 'Rudolph' the red long-stripe. All the stainless lines (fuel) looked perfect, as was the top portion of the fuel tank (I was warned, but the guy that did works for a fleet place that has mostly Chevys)

My little 2004 Malibu isn't bad, but the truck is usually what sees the highways in the winter.

The biggest problem is the spray chlorides (?) stick like crazy and not too easy to flush off.

What ever happened to Ziebart?? I think they should have a good market now considering even the OEM corrosion can't seem to hold up to the new stuff.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm

Larry:

Buzzard Wing wrote:What ever happened to Ziebart??

Ziebart - there is a location in Shrewsbury, MA - within 50 miles of 02840

My 2000 DGC had the Ziebart treatment. The undercart is still - 14 years after it was built, in almost pristine condition. The only problems were the rocker panels -- as the design is pretty lousy - collects dirt/crud/salt and water. I really like Ziebart. However, Honda doesn't recommend Ziebart - on top of their own undercoating -- recommend the electronic rust prevention option. We will see what happens.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”