Second Time's a Charm...

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am

Missouri Turkey Season.

Opening day, spooked 3 birds off the roost--ugh! Didn't have a successful day (if bringing home a bird is your definition of success). Went again yesterday, got in earlier to set up w/out spooking anything. Set up only to find the only two birds gobbling were south of me on another property (no permission) and way east of me (difficult to get to). But, within an hour, the eastern bird had moved or another bird had moved between me and the eastern bird. Long story short: called in a 2 year old tom; 21.5 lbs, 9-1/2" beard and 1" spurs. Took two shots to down him, so second time's a charm in more than one way. :D

Image

:lol: Camera on tailgate of truck isn't always the best way to frame a picture!! :lol:

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:24 am

Congrats !!

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm

Congrats!

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Got mine this morning at 0635. Ten inch beard, 1 1/4 inch spurs. No means to weigh it, but my guess is 20 to 22 pounds. Standing beside the decoy when his lights went out.

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 5:41 am

Great job Stanton. To me it is the hunt, especially when I get to spend time with grandson's. Turkeys are not cooperating with us this year, plus the weather on weekends when the grandson's are off. Picture from the tailgate looks great.

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 am

randallc wrote:Great job Stanton. To me it is the hunt, especially when I get to spend time with grandson's.


I agree, but wanted to qualify "success." Just being out in the Spring turkey woods is a pleasure; calling in and bagging a tom is icing on the cake! Some of my most memorable times spent turkey hunting was with a gentleman I rarely bagged a turkey with, but it was time well spent.

Thanks and hope the weather starts cooperating for you before season closes.

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 am

Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Our season opened up on Monday and I had my first bird of the season on the ground at 6:15 AM. Roosted him the night before..30 minute walk the next AM...I called him away from 2 or 3 hens and shot him at 25 yards. Two year old..18.5 lbs. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Had one gobbling this Am but he had 5 hens with him...no way I was convincing him to come to me.

Blair

Image

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 10:15 am

Bigschuss wrote:Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Our season opened up on Monday and I had my first bird of the season on the ground at 6:15 AM. Roosted him the night before..30 minute walk the next AM...I called him away from 2 or 3 hens and shot him at 25 yards. Two year old..18.5 lbs. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Had one gobbling this Am but he had 5 hens with him...no way I was convincing him to come to me.

Blair


AWESOME! Next time a tom is "henned up", try sounding like several hens; use several differnt calls at once. If you can get the dominant hen to answer you (i.e. challenge her authority), you might be able to pull the whole flock into gun range. But be ready, the tom is always the last to come, so you'll likely have several hens all around you before he's in range. Did that several years ago and had hens behind me, beside me and in front of me (about a dozen), before one of the two toms was within range. Talk about exciting AND fun!!

Again, way to go! Great story!!

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 am

Stanton wrote:
Bigschuss wrote:Nice Stanton! Congrats on a nice bird!

Our season opened up on Monday and I had my first bird of the season on the ground at 6:15 AM. Roosted him the night before..30 minute walk the next AM...I called him away from 2 or 3 hens and shot him at 25 yards. Two year old..18.5 lbs. 8 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.

Had one gobbling this Am but he had 5 hens with him...no way I was convincing him to come to me.

Blair


AWESOME! Next time a tom is "henned up", try sounding like several hens; use several differnt calls at once. If you can get the dominant hen to answer you (i.e. challenge her authority), you might be able to pull the whole flock into gun range. But be ready, the tom is always the last to come, so you'll likely have several hens all around you before he's in range. Did that several years ago and had hens behind me, beside me and in front of me (about a dozen), before one of the two toms was within range. Talk about exciting AND fun!!

Again, way to go! Great story!!


Boy did you just about summarize my morning! This is exactly what I did this AM. I pulled out my slate and used it along with my mouth call. The dominant hen was going nuts...she really did not like my calling. I realized I could get her to come in close if I kept it up. The problem was I had a bad set up...too much open cover and I did not have a good tree to sit against. I knew even if I could pull the flock in out of the field they were in I would stand a good chance of getting busted. I was on my private land and I know they aren't going far, so I just kind of backed out and let them be. I'll try to set up a bit different tomorrow.

Good luck to you if you get back out there!

Re: Second Time's a Charm...

Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Nice hunting guys. I am envious. I wish we still had wild turkey up here. I have been tossing around the idea of raising/releasing wild turkey and seeing if we can get the population restarted. It worked nicely with the pheasants -- now those are pretty much native. Be nice to have native birds come back. Enjoy the turkeys guys ... I imagine they are going to make some nice eating :{_}: