This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Winch Wiring

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Winch Wiring

Postby Brent » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 pm

:? :? :?

I have a remote control winch on my Cub trailer and the remote unit took a dive. I disconnected the remote box and ran positive and negative wires directly from the motor to a batery and the motor does run. With positive to positive from battery to motor the winch unwinds, winds in when negative is connected to the positive battery terminal. What I want to do is eliminate the remote and run the winch with one or two switches to wind and unwind. Problem is I don't know how to wire it. Any help will be appreciated. To replace the remote box costs almost as much as a new winch.
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Winch Wiring

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Search the internet for "reverse polarity switch and/or solenoids".

Really can't be of help. I would need to know the current wiring diagram, wire sizes or motor amp draw. If you knew the motor amp load you may be able to find an inexpensive 12 volt polarity reversing switch. Most switches have a wiring diagram - or you can use a multimeter to figure out the switche's routine.

Next issue is that there are probably several dozen possible solutions, just depends on appliances used and how configured.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Brent:

Something like this might be useful:

ATV Winch Control - the manual is available for the wiring schematic :idea:

or this one at Harbor Freight:

Wireless Winch Remote Control - should be able to get a wiring schematic for this one as well.

Northern Tool:

Ramsey Winch Remote Control Switch for Winches

Dutton-Lainson StrongArm Wire Remote Handheld Switch — 10ft.

Couple ideas anyways.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Position-Reverse- ... B001PNHBW6

Above link. 30 amp reversing polarity switch for under $10-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I never thought of looking for a switch on the internet. That was too simple. I guess I wanted to make things harder. Thanks for the info.
Always try the easiest thing first.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

Would a simple double pole toggle switch work? Any hardware, electrical supply or big box store would have them. The switch has three positions with four posts on back. The middle position is "off", two posts on one end is "on" when toggled to that end and the other two posts are "on" when toggled to that end. Positive to positive to two posts on one end and positive to negative to two posts on other end.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am

It requires a double pole double throw switch. You wire it as shown at the other end of this link. Center is off, the other 2 positions power it one way or the other. The catch is that you are dealing with quite a bit of current. A light weight switch will not handle it. I doubt that the 30 amp eBay switch referenced above is even heavy enough to do the job. You can also handle the current by using relays, which complicates the wiring a bit. You probably would want a momentary contact switch so the winch only runs while you hold the switch.
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/images/reverse.gif

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:Would a simple double pole toggle switch work? Any hardware, electrical supply or big box store would have them.
Probably not if the switch is directly connected in to the battery cables. Most common switches found in hardware stores, etc., are rated at 15 amps and a few at 20 amps.

Checked Northern Tool's ads for winches. Some winches list the motor horse power. 1 electric motor horse power = 750 (746) watts. Divide the motor watts by 12 (nominal volts) to get amps. 62.16 amps per rated motor horse power.

First thing is to find out the start up amperage draw under load for the DC motor. Then select switch, switches, switching mechanism, and fusing, capable of handling more than the start up amp draw.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:07 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Continu ... 488&sr=1-3

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-7465-winc ... -volt.aspx

Above, a couple of 12 volt reversing solenoids. More research would be required as amperage rating is not stated. A suitable reversing solenoid and a reversing momentary switch might be the way to go.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Off Topic”