This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

anybody make a skating rink?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

anybody make a skating rink?

Postby gusbratz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 pm

we dug a pond last summer. I want to make a skateing rink on it. it was iceing up about an inch thick then it snowed. i went out to shovel it and it seems to be all slush under the snow now. what gives? warm water melting it from under side maybe? maybe i should just spray it with water to finsish melting the snow. it's in the 20's here and i would think it would freeze if the snow wasn't insulating it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: anybody make a skating rink?

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 pm

I have a rather large pond --

I have considered making a skating rink on it, but before I ever would venture out on the ice, I would make sure it is a lot thicker than an inch. Back home in Northern Ontario, we used to flood the snow to liquefy it and then it let it freeze. You need a good 6 inches to be somewhat safe for walking and skating. I would be hoping for much more. A minimum of 12 inches before I would put Ellie on it to clear snow. That is the goal eventually to have a skating hut/sugary on the south end of the pond. Ramp is already built to get on the ice. May try it this year .. we will see.

Here is a chart from the Old Farmer's Almanac

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Tried making a small one for roommates daughter to play on in backyard when I lived in MA. Leveled off an area and surrounded it with scrap 2x6 and put plastic down and flooded it. It had to get really cold for quite a while before it would freeze solid. Once the ground started to warm even a little it would thaw very quickly. If I was going to do it again I would try some type of insulation under the plastic to keep the warm ground away from the ice. Probably the same thing happening with your pond, warmth from underneath keeping it from freezing to deep. No idea how to fix that.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm

:idea: :idea:

Just a guess,but the snow will insulate and make the top of the ice warmer plus warm water rises so it may be warming the bottom of the ice.
Always try the easiest thing first.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 pm

We would set up 2x4's in a big retangle with clear plastic as a base to hold the water on my lawn. The kids had a blast playing hockey.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 pm

i am trying to flood it with a pump today to see if it freezes when it is all water. that is how the King of obsolete does it when he is building ice roads.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Just remember, when KoO is building ice roads, it is usually 10 or 20 below zero. At 20 degrees f the ground is not frozen very deep yet. it will need to get colder and longer for it to make safe ice on a pond.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 am

I remember back when we had a member here that done this every Winter. He flooded a pretty large area each time just for skating, I can even remember pictures posted but can't find a thing in the search about it..... :roll:
I belong to no other forums so it had to be here. :roll:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:44 am

Yogie:

That would be Ed up in Hornepayne I believe. Here are a few threads - Skating Rink
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 pm

Rudi wrote:Yogie:

That would be Ed up in Hornepayne I believe. Here are a few threads - Skating Rink

Thanks Rudi, that's the very one.
The link you gave shoud help a bunch. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Return to “Off Topic”