This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Never assume

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Never assume

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 pm

I let rabbit Holler Flash and Scrivet store their 18 foot flat bed trailer under my lower lean too, and a 22 ton wood splitter in my shed most of the time. A ton service truck belonging to Flash's son has also been stored there hitched to the trailer for the last month or more.

There are a couple of night time Christmas parades in this area In the next couple weeks, and I needed room to get my trailer and a cub in the shop together to rig lights. Due to a cub belonging to the local Lions club being spread around my shed, I decided to move the log splitter out onto Flash's trailer to get a little more room. I lowered the center and left ramp on the rear of the trailer, hitched the log splitter to the front hitch I got from Rick, and proceeded to push the splitter up the ramps onto the back of the trailer just as I have done 4 or 5 times. Since getting on and off the cub with it partway up the ramps is a pain, I just drove all the way upon to the trailer. Just as I got the rear wheels of the tractor I got a SURPRISE. The truck and trailer were setting right where they had been for the last month or so, but this time it was not hitched. The rear of the trailer went down, the tongue came up and the trailer rolled forward some. I reached down into the tool box and got a long screwdriver that I used to pry myself loose from the seat cushion, and got off and looked things over.

The tongue was about a foot and a half in the air, and the left ramp sticking up at about a 45 degree angle. The legs are attached to the ramps at an angle and as the weight of the tractor passed the attach point the weight caused the ramp to push the trailer forward as the rear went down. I decided everything that was going to happen had happened, so I unhitched the log splitter and put the stand on it. No easy task at the angle the trailer was setting. I then got on the tractor, and calmly (yeah, right) backed the cub down the ramps, which was a little interesting considering the center one was down and the left one at a 45 degree angle upward. As soon as the tires pushed on the raised ramp a little it started down with the leg dragging the trailer backward soem and as te tongue came back down the jack stand sat right back down on the 6x6 block that it was setting on before I started. I decided I had enough excitemnet for the day, so I put the ramps up, parked the tractor and closed the shed up then went to the house.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Never assume

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Just reading it took my breath away :big what:

Glad it all turned out well and yeah, right decision was go back to the house :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:35 am

I guess now is not the best time to mention I unhooked the trailer but didn't move the truck just in case you needed to reposition the trailer. You could just crank the jack back down onto the ball.
Glad you're OK and the only damage can be fixed with an extra scoop of TIDE.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:...................................... then went to the house.

For a clean pair of skivvies? Vern

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:37 am

:big say what: Glad you got through it OK, John. Had something similar happen myself, except that the trailer was actually hitched to the truck. Mr. E's Super M was the tractor and it lifted the trailer AND the back of the truck up. Pure pucker power. :roll: Never told Roy that story. Roy, I've got a couple more to tell you sometime about that SM. :shock:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:35 am

John , I was afraid just reading this :shock: . Glad it worked out for you..

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Scrivet wrote:I guess now is not the best time to mention I unhooked the trailer but didn't move the truck just in case you needed to reposition the trailer. You could just crank the jack back down onto the ball.......
When I was letting the 2 ramps down I noticed the trailer light extension cord laying on the front end of the trailer deck, but did not realize why. I just thought you had changed it for the one you had made for the trailer

Denny Clayton wrote::big say what: Glad you got through it OK, John. Had something similar happen myself, except that the trailer was actually hitched to the truck. Mr. E's Super M was the tractor and it lifted the trailer AND the back of the truck up. Pure pucker power. :roll: Never told Roy that story. Roy, I've got a couple more to tell you sometime about that SM. :shock:
I had loaded and unloaded my H behind my Heavy half F150, with no problems, but never thought about just how close I was until I put 2 additional sets of wheel weights on it intending to install the loader. Took a little ride, truck and all with that one too, but was still quite a ways down the ramps and when I realized the truck was moving I just stepped on the clutch and let it roll back down the ramps till it all stopped. Used stands under the trailer from then on when loading the H.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Denny Clayton wrote::big say what: Glad you got through it OK, John. Had something similar happen myself, except that the trailer was actually hitched to the truck. Mr. E's Super M was the tractor and it lifted the trailer AND the back of the truck up. Pure pucker power. :roll: Never told Roy that story. Roy, I've got a couple more to tell you sometime about that SM. :shock:

Well, I can hardly wait!!! I bet "pucker power" is understating the way you probably felt!!! :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Return to “Off Topic”