This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

eBay sellers

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

eBay sellers

Postby tmays » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I don't do business with eBay sellers who make money off shipping. What is your take on the subject?
Thomas

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: eBay sellers

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Consider the total cost of the contemplated purchase. eBay even has a sorting option that will list by the lowest cost including shipping for a search category. The State of NC charges sales tax on the shipping cost, too. A tax on postage, if you will.
Years ago, the new car dealers in my area would show the price of a car f.o.b.. Naturally, the price the customer would pay would have several items/dollars added to the f.o.b. amount. I told one salesman that I wanted the price p.m.d. He asked what that meant. Parked My Driveway. :{_}:
Luck favors those who are prepared

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby redfin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Thomas , My take

If the seller inflates shipping and sells their items at a reduced price . It saves them on fees and I am fine with that.

Boxes , tape and a trip to the post office all cost money so some allowances could be made on that.

If the seller is jacking up shipping for more profit , I dont do business with them unless I really have to have what they are selling.

Either way its my choice and i am fine with it.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I usually do not charge enough for shipping. I also usually only use e-bay if i NEED money, and only sell stuff I do not NEED.

Lower shipping will usually sell my item better than not.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Tom, E Bay charges you on the shipping cost too , and if you live 30 miles from the post office :?
gas at over $3.00 a gal. Well that is my case anyway. I loose on most of my shipping cost.
Gota be a real thin pancake not to have 2 sides :lol: But you do need to watch some.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I buy a fair amount on :eBay: especially manuals, brochures, data sheets and that sort of thing. For most eBay I find the shipping is pretty reasonable and in some cases super cheap. Very seldom do I run across those who charge outrageous amounts. I guess I sort of mentally cherry pick when I am looking at items listed on eBay. In my experience over the last 12 years the vast majority charge very reasonable rates and I have no reason not to leave excellent feedback on that line.

My biggest beef is those who refuse to ship to Canada via USPS Regular Letter Post - those that insist on US International First Class are selling me something I do not want nor cannot get. Since 9/11 there has been a number of idiotic changes - that simply add layers of red tape and expense whilst at the same time reducing service and extending transit times. USPS IFC used to be 2-4 days with a tracking #, now it is held up at the border on the US side and then on the Cdn side. I never get them under 14 business days yet I have to pay 5 to 10 times the price of USPS Regular Letter Mail depending on what I buy. A manual to Canada costs a grand total of $1.75 for a normal 75 page Cub Owner's Manual. It costs a bit more for up to a 100 page manual. A TC-37 usually costs less than $5.00US. A PO-9 may cost up to $9.50 or so. Yet, USPS IFC costs a minimum of $12.50. Also tracking and delivery confirmation is no longer available and I don't like paying for something I cannot get so for shippers who insist on USPS IFC I simply do not do business with them. I will say this though, the majority of those whom I contact and explain the situation before the auction ends, usually will end up shipping via my preferred route and I haven't lost one yet :{_}:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Here's what started my rant. Guy has a small item for sale that he is going to ship in small flat rate box. He is charging $10.00 shipping, almost double what he is paying. I just don't agree with doing business that way.
I asked him why and he responded "how much is your time worth?" Really?
I've had one person charge me more for shipping than cost. When I asked, he gladly refunded my money. I even had one seller refund difference on his own. By and large that is what I've encountered on eBay.
He's definitely lost a customer in me.
I'm through ranting now. Ain't I supposed to mellow with age? :-)
Thomas

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:09 pm

t , i know what you mean, charging high shipping cost , sometimes will offset the "fees" ebay charges , i guess, buyer beware . coppersmythe...............................

Return to “Off Topic”