This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Say What

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Say What

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 pm

My order shipped By Federal Express. Fedex Tracking no.: 9102927010281135013944

Jun 25, 2012 11:02 AM At U.S. Postal Service facility LINN, MO
Arrived at local Post Office - Allow one to two additional days for delivery

Jun 25, 2012 11:27 AM In transit LINN, MO

Jun 22, 2012 9:46 PM Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMART POST EARTH CITY, MO
-----

Wouldn't it have been faster to just drop the shipment of at my house. Located 1 block off the highway on which the truck had to travel to get to the post office.

Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just drop off the shipment at my house then to pay postage to the US post office for shipping the package the 1/2 mile back to my house.

Wouldn't it have been faster and perhaps cheaper just to use the US Postal Service in the first place.

I'm saving this post. Gonna send it to the firm that sold me the products and to FedEX after I receive the package.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Say What

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:36 am

There is no accounting for what some of these companies are doing regarding shipping. the idea is probably that it is less expensive to drop several packages at the post office than for a driver to run to different places in the Linn area, and that decision as to which packages is made by a computer, not by someone with common sense. As has been stated before, common sense is not so common anymore. I am seeing more and more often that companies are using computers to do scheduling, routing, etc. rather than a person using sense to do it. A computer is a tool, but many companies are thinking they are the absolute ideal, not a tool to assist you.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:07 am

There's a simple one word answer. TIME

First somebody has to check to see if there is anybody along the route that the truck is going. That takes TIME. Then if there is then that takes TIME to stop. But before they can stop they have to segregate the package(s) they are going to drop along the way, that takes TIME.

Then it takes TIME to actually pull off the route and up to your house a block away. What about somebody two blocks away, do they take the TIME to go there? What about somebody a half mile off route, or two miles? That takes TIME to figure out and TIME to actually do.

Then what if nobody is home can they leave it or do they continue on to the Post Office having spent TIME trying to deliver it to save TIME? (I guess they could just throw it over the fence :lol: that would save TIME)

We all know the old saying TIME is money.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: and that decision as to which packages is made by a computer. . .

I believe in the case of FedEx SmartPost the decision is made by the shipper rather than FedEx. It is cheap and he doesn't have to check whether you are located in a FedEx delivery area.
http://www.fedex.com/us/smart-post/outbound.html

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:44 am

I don't know why the shipper or FedEx took this means of delivery.

FedEx has delivered to my front door, several times. They also make deliveries to other residents on my street. FedEx trucks make frequent stops delivering to businesses on the main highway through town. Often blocking one lane of the highway.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 am

UPS is also doing this. As Scrivet said, it is TIME and it's cheaper. The mail carrier is going by anyway.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Fed Ex is a couple of different companies. Fed Ex Ground id just that and the Fed Ex is on green on the trucks they use. The Fed Ex with Blue and or red uses planes and is a completely different world.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 pm

:lol: Eugene, I'm guessing you live on the left side of the road gong to the post office. :lol:
I remember reading a while back where UPS drivers where told only to deliver at places when making right hand turns. :roll: :lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

george
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby george » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:03 am

I am off the road in the boonies and have always used a PO box. I'd rather use FedEx Post anytime.
If I'm away, the package is secure.
G

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Perhaps this is the answer. The post office didn't deliver the package. Went to the post office and explained the situation. Assistant post master dug through the unclaimed packages and came up with the correct one. Turns out the post office tried to deliver the package also.

The address was severly damaged to the point that only a few letter of my address were readable.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:10 am

My guess is that the package was consolidated on a pallet when FedEx had it and the only package ID the driver had was that for the pallet and it's post office destination. That entire pallet was for the particular post office location. FedEx might have owned the warehouse (fulfillment center) where the shipment originated.
Not sure how carriers view the "stuff" they move, but in actuality, they store it from the moment they accept possession until they deliver it. I recall many years ago when a regional trucking company (now defunct) took 7 days to move a shipment about 50 miles. Obviously they stored it somewhere in the meantime. Mail from the West coast often reaches me in 2 -4 days, so they are "storing" it in a moving "warehouse".
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Off Topic”