This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

zoning

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: zoning

Postby Eugene » Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 am

Josh:

Visit your County Assessor's office. The Assessor will/should have a description (mechanical drawing) of your land/plot and perhaps aerial photos.

In Iowa the County Assessor has aerial photos of your property and adjacent properties. On the aerial photo the property lines have been added. The aerial photo is a great tool for building planning projects.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am

thanks for all the replys. what i would really like is a 36 x 50 building. I have walked and area out and have found thats what i can put up and still have some space around it. the only thing that really confuses me is that i want to put the back of the building facing the side if the property. I am wondering if i can get away with the 10' considering thats the side of the property. if thats the case all i would have to do is get the code of the 960' appealed.
I already have a 24 X 24 on the property but its just not big enough. We have amanda's elcamino in there, 51 super a that in restoring, 55 cub, 49 cub, 48' C and Amanda's Zero and lots of other things. I really would like to be able to put my truck and the 45 A inside as well as move my 74 super beetle from my dad's.
I guess now i need to see how i can get some more cash and to look into zoning more.

I do not live directly in a city area but I am close to a highway and the area where i want the building can be seen. If the area was more hidden the building would be up and complete before anyone ever knew it.
Josh
Mr. Joshua

74 VW super beetle (o\ /o)
1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri May 11, 2012 8:45 am

Mr Joshua wrote: i want to put the back of the building facing the side if the property. I am wondering if i can get away with the 10' considering thats the side of the property.

Josh, it won't matter if it is the side or the back of your building. The ten foot off set is for the side of your lot not the side of your building. The main thing to remember is you have to be ten feet from your side property line and fifty feet from your back property line. Keep in mind also that some codes have restrictions on where the doors face. Some say they have to face the street while others may not have a requirement. The size of the lot has a lot to do with that determination.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 11, 2012 9:05 am

When living in an area with restrictions, such as Jefferson County, it is not a good idea to try to sneak a building by without the permits. Many of them are now using Google earth to verify what is on the property for tax purposes, and when caught the penalties and fines, including possibly having to remove the building, concrete,etc. can be pretty stiff. In the rural areas such as where I live the pictures frequently are only updated every 4 or 5 years. As you get closer to major cities though the updates become more frequent, sometimes every month or so.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 am

I had a survey of the property taken last year. I guess i will take it to an architect that i know and see if he know things that i don't. possibly then we can draw up a plan to take to the county. If we would have picked a house about 5 miles south we would be in a different county and thing would be much better.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri May 11, 2012 11:19 am

You also need to find out how your lot has been defined.
What is the rear line? What are the side lines? What is the front line.
I ran into that on our property a few years ago when we put up a 10'x9' shed. What the town defines as the front line is not what I would have thought!

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am

You should be able to do the required mechanical drawings, property lay out, with out an architect. I would make up a drawing of the plot including current buildings. Add in the proposed building with the set backs.

Get on the zoning commission's agenda for a scheduled meeting. Show and explain your plans. Zoning commissions are usually very helpful. They can either approve the plan or will explain required changes or additional paper work required.

More research.
1) You may be able to expand the existing 24 x 24 building with less aggravation even if it is built closer to the property line(s) than the current set back limitations.
2) You local zoning commission may allow temporary buildings.
3) Check for tax abatement procedure on the proposed building.
4) Also check to see if expanding the existing 24 x 24 building will incur less property taxes than building a new seperate structure.
5) Building permit procedure.

Edit: Easements on the property?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri May 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Mr Joshua wrote:thanks for all the replys. what i would really like is a 36 x 50 building.
Josh

Not to hijack this thread, but this is about what I want to build. Are you wanting to stick build, or buy something like a Morton building?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Fri May 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Super A wrote:
Mr Joshua wrote:thanks for all the replys. what i would really like is a 36 x 50 building.
Josh

Not to hijack this thread, but this is about what I want to build. Are you wanting to stick build, or buy something like a Morton building?

Al

Al
I have looked into stick buildings a little bit but am not sure what exactly i want to go with. I have thought about just a framed up building. I would like to insulate it and drywall the walls and ceiling. with the stick buildings it looks like you would have to frame in between the post before you could insulate or put up drywall. may be easier to just pour a slab and frame up walls on top of it.
I'm open to suggestions. Like i said before i am just in the planning stage of this.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Eugene wrote:You should be able to do the required mechanical drawings, property lay out, with out an architect. I would make up a drawing of the plot including current buildings. Add in the proposed building with the set backs.

Get on the zoning commission's agenda for a scheduled meeting. Show and explain your plans. Zoning commissions are usually very helpful. They can either approve the plan or will explain required changes or additional paper work required.

More research.
1) You may be able to expand the existing 24 x 24 building with less aggravation even if it is built closer to the property line(s) than the current set back limitations.
2) You local zoning commission may allow temporary buildings.
3) Check for tax abatement procedure on the proposed building.
4) Also check to see if expanding the existing 24 x 24 building will incur less property taxes than building a new seperate structure.
5) Building permit procedure.

Edit: Easements on the property?

eugene
thanks for the input.
the 24 x 24 i believe must have been built before zoning had restrictions on set back. the back of the garage is about 13' from the back property line. I have looked into adding on to the existing building but would not be able to add much to it considering the direction the roof line is on the property. the building is pretty much in the corner. Also the current building is pretty old. I have thought about replacing the building but where its at on the property they may not allow me to rebuild there cause of setback. Plus i like my space and it sure would be nice to have a building for tractor storage and another to park our trucks and toys as well as have space to work.

The front of the property meets up to a county road, the left side meets up to a neighbor whose house is for sale and the other side and back meet up to a church property. the side meeting the church is where i would like to build. I believe that no one in that area would have a care in the world that i build the building. The only way you would see it is from the front of my house and the church property where the road leading to the church is.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 11, 2012 1:04 pm

Josh, why don't you swing by sometime and take a look at my setup. There is a place near Belgrade that if you take them your plans for a metal building, they will give you a kit price for all materials except for concrete. They can even provide installation if you want. Once it is erected you can do the interior and wiring as you have time.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mr Joshua
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Super A
1945 A

Postby Mr Joshua » Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 pm

John
I have been in your garage before. for some reason i thought it was pole construction. I will have to check out that place in belgrade. One thing I would want is a couple 16' wide doors on the side or 4 ten foot doors. thats one problem i have with pole construction is the span of the doors on the sides.
Mr. Joshua

1955 cub
1951 Super A
1945 A
and any of TC's toys

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

When you measure for your setbacks , it is common in many areas for the setback to be measured from the overhang of the buliding and not the edge of the slab or wall. Not sure what it would be in your area. :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri May 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Josh: Read over your description of the property.

Suggest drawing up the current plot plan and another with the proposed location, where you want your building. Forget about the set back. Just put the new building on your plan where you want it.

Obtain a copy of the aerial photo of your and adjacent property.

Approach the local zoning commission with your plan. During your discussion with the zoning commission ask for or about a variance on the set back. From you description, the variance should not be a problem. You may only have to obtain permission from the church for the exception.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri May 11, 2012 7:26 pm

I just found "SECTION 400.2870: ACCESSORY STRUCTURE -- ACCESSORY BUILDINGS TO BE PERMITTED IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS" addresses size of accessory buildings. It also mentions rear setback for very small buildings, still nothing on the size you are considering. Some rules depend on your exact zoning district. What is your district?

Return to “Off Topic”