This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bluebirds!!!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Bluebirds

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:52 am

I have used 2 of the Vanerttraps that Don has mentioned for several years with great success. If I have a box that sparrows are persistent with I slip a trap into it and not long the orange dot is showing in the window. Slip a trash bag over the box, open door, work it back around the box and you have your bird. Then you can release, cull, etc. Another help I have found is when you put out bird food, I use only black sunflower seed and not wild bird food with millet. It won't deter all the House Sparrows (Weaver Finch) from feeding but I noticed a significant difference. When I started with my boxes 3 years ago I had a terrible problem with House Sparrows. With the above listed deterents, and a little help from "Daisy", I have had great success with my 7 boxs.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Joe Shaffer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe Shaffer » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:27 am

I too use only black sunflower seed (50 lbs near $15 at Lowes). The sole problem is this time of year the blackbird mob is returning (Grackles, Starlings, Red Wings) and monopolize any feeding stations they can access. A good one is a wire enclosed tube feeder but of course this one also blocks out larger colorful birds such as Cardinals and Jays.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:49 am

Joe. Funny you should mention starlings. Saw a few under the feeders yesterday for the first time... I too, use only "black oil sunflower seeds". Get it at Tractor Supply for about $13 for 50 lbs. The birds love it. Don't have too many house sparrows around here. My blue bird houses get House & Carolina Wrens or Tree Swallows, sometimes. Last year I had a litter of flying squirrels in a box I had screwed to a tree. Almost destroyed them thinking they were mice. Good thing I saw mama jump from the tree in the day time. Figured they were hers. Week later I checked them out & they had the flappy skin starting on their sides.

Below is a new type blue bird house that's suppose to deter sparrows. Haven't tried it yet, so don't know for sure ............

Ron

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Ron,

Interesting design. The way it's shown in the picture, seems like it would be difficult to mount and impossible to clean and observe, but that could be remedied with a couple of design changes.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:22 pm

Don. I agree that the design is interesting and would be a challange to design a good stable mount. Below is a picture of the article that brought about the prior posted picture in one of last years "Birds and Blooms" magazines. As you can see, the top swivels up for cleaning. Also, you can see a litter of bluebirds. So I guess it does work. As I don't have a major problem with unwanted birds taking over the boxes, I'm not in the biggest hurry to try it...........

Ron

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:09 pm

All,

Here's a link to a little better set of plans for the Carrier bluebird box.

http://audubon-omaha.org/bbbox/nestbox/slant.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:51 pm

If anyone is looking for some plans to build a conventional box, here is a link. I built six of the eastern bluebird boxes last night.

http://nabluebirdsociety.org/plans.htm
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:27 pm

Talking about birds I just went for a walk. There were robbins all over the place it just got done raining and I got 8-12 foot from them and they wouldn't eaven move. I counted over 25 before I gave up must be 35 to 50 of them out there.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat May 28, 2005 10:55 am

The Blue Birds here on the front lawn are feeding their young ................. :)

Ron

Return to “Off Topic”