This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painted Tires

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Painted Tires

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:57 am

Here;s a real real dumb question.

I have found a 8 year old set of Firestone 8.3 X 24 tires that are new..never even been mounted. They are a good deal but the trouble is they have been sitting in a persons shop and are covered with overspray and they look like hell. There is alot of grey primer some green paint and some blue and some yellow. No heavy coats just overspray. I have tried using regular paint thinner to get the paint off but that didn't work. I was afraid to use laquer thinner or anything stronger. I would like to get them if I can clean them up without destroying them or drying out the rubber....Any ideas :idea: :idea:

Thanks

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:04 pm

You can try laquer thinner. We used that years ago to clean up the tires before a car show. Gives a "new" look to the tire. Another option is tire paint. Miller Tire, http://www.millertire.com , sells a tire paint concentrate that is mixed with water, goes on easy and will cover paint over spray, and makes the tire look like a new one. It does not leave a shiney surface that looks like it has been painted. To quote their catalog, "Permanent water-based paint applies easily and dries quickly. Won't rub off, even when wet. Gives dull, faded tires a non-glossy, like-new finish. Dilute 1-to-1 with water. Wipes on tires fast using a wash mitt, or apply with brush or spray". I have used it on original tires on low S/N Cub Cadets that had a tread pattern that is no longer available and liked the results.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Hey Mike,

If you have a truck tire recapper in your area, take them to him and he should be able to spray them with tire black (paint) and have them looking as good as new. My local recapper sprayed the tires on Dad's cub, John's Missy, and my B Farmall. If you have no recappers in your area, a tire wholesaler or tire repair supply warehouse like http://www.tiresupplyguide.com might be able to help. One tip: make sure the tires are free from dirt, mud, grease, etc. before spraying.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:46 pm

Mike:

Before you try to hide the stuff, try this on for size. Go to the hardware store and get a product called Circa 1851 Paint Stripper. It is water based, will not hurt rubber, but boy does it take off paint. When I am working with delicate (to my mind anyways) veneers on old funiture this is what I use.

I also got some overspray on some 3 ribs for my water wagon. I used paint stripper as I was not all that worried about the rubber. The regular stuff worked real well also, but it does contain other chemicals which may react with the rubber surface.

Hope this helps
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:51 pm

:idea: I have always used a wire brush (Dry) and had good results removing overspray from tires. :idea:
Then came Bronson

Cdn Country Bumkin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L8G2J3

Postby Cdn Country Bumkin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Sand blasting will not even mark rubber but will remove evrything else

Archie
Life is a game we are all going to lose, so we may as well have fun playing

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:34 pm

You beat me to it Archie. I was just about to say, when I sandblast any rims, usually the tires are still mounted. The tires look like new by the time the rims are done. Rudi's idea sounds good too. Looks like you have a few choices to choose from now.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:24 pm

Mike, try some brake fluid. It should remove the paint without hurting the rubber.

Alan

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone. I am going to go ahead and get those tires now. I'm sure I can get them cleaned up using one or all of these ideas 8) ..

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Off Topic”