This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Small Block Chevy

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Small Block Chevy

Postby sviennadan » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:01 pm

Hi guys,

We're doing a teardown on my son's pickup, and have found that the former owner had moved the shifter from the column to the floor with an adapter kit from Hurst for this purpose. The adapter, however, blocks the use of the speedometer cable. Anyone seen a reasonably easy fix for this? It looks like we could drill a hole through the first gear shift plate to open it up for the cable, but it looks like that will risk catastrophic failure of the rest of that shift plate. Any ideas?[/i]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:36 am

sviennadan,

Is there ANY room between the shifter plate and where the speedometer is suppose to be?

The reason I am asking, I remember something to that affect after I installed a Hurst super shifter on my 74 AMX with a 4-speed. I had just barely enough room for the speedometer cable and there was either a 45 or 90 degree adapter that I ended up installing to get around the problem. This was when I was 18 years old and that in itself has been 20 years ago, :lol:

I just can't remember the company that made it, but they made all kinds of different type of ratios reducers and so forth.

There once was a company here in my town that dealt in aftermarket cruise controls, speedometers cables and adapters. They carried this manufactures products, but this business in town is long gone now. I don't know maybe it was a company like Stewart Warner, don't know if that's correct, just a guess, but you may check with them

I would look for something like that, (if there's any room) before taking any drastic measures to his shifter.

I guess that's one advantage of today's vehicles, with them being electronic. just a small encoder at the transmission and a couple of wires going on up the dash.

Here's one place I found that has differnt adapters and such for speedometers. AH, even Stewart Warner is mentioned.

http://texasindustrialelectric.com/speedo.asp

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:53 am

John your discription brings bac memories of when i was 18 in 1950. I had a 36 ford with the shift on the floor. Had a Bevomatic shift. One arm around Beverly so she had to shift. In June it will be a 50 year anniversary. Those were the days my friend, those were the days.
sviennadan sorry I know that doesn't answer your question but it is great memory time.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:45 am

definitely bringing back some memories. For me it was a 70 Bronco with 3 on the column. I learned to steer and shift with my left hand, while the other arm was around Joann. 34 years for us this June.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:38 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well since we all are bringing back memories here.

Here's my story back when I was a younger. The old 54 Chevrolet ton truck that I now have of grandpa's. I can remember three of us going places in it I. Usually grandpa, his brother and myeslf. Naturally since I was the youngest and smallest, guess who got to sit in the middle :?:

I HATED sitting in the middle, because that meant one thing, getting knocked in the legs and/or knees with that STUPID long shifter.

NOW, that I am the driver of it, and three of us go anywhere. I hear my own kids complaining about it. :lol:

Since we are a family of four and unless someone doesn't don't go, we don't get to take "Ole Ben" (that's what Mary named the old truck, after my grandpa) but that really don't hurt Mary's feelings much, she says that people look at us and think we are destitute, silly girl :!: I was never really one who much cared what people thinks of me, especially by what I drive.

Well, I didn't get to have the fun ole days, like John... cubowner and Beaconlight, with having a stick shift and me a girl. When I had all of my standard shift cars and truck, they all had bucket seats and a center console. Actually my Model "A" and this old truck is the first ones I have that has a full bench seat. also don't have the many years as you guys, we are going our 16th year, come August.

John
Machinist

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:14 pm

It is less important how many years as long as they are good ones. # kids and 9 grand kids.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:16 pm

beaconlight wrote:It is less important how many years as long as they are good ones. # kids and 9 grand kids.

Bill

YES by all means and in my case.......EXCELLENT!
Machinist

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:55 pm

Thanks, John, I'll have my son call them tomorrow. There's probably three inches between the tranny and the shift linkage. The one in the link would fit, but it's made for the underdash area. My son tells me the connector is different. Enjoyed the walk down memory lane with all the respondants.

Return to “Off Topic”