This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Impact Wrench help

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Impact Wrench help

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:06 pm

I inherited a Sears Craftsman 1/2" air impact wrench Model # 756.188900.
I tried to use it today and it stuck wide-open.
I took it apart and found that the Throttle Valve - Part # 4 in the below drawing was completely deteriorated.
Apparently it fits onto the end of the Throttle Valve Pin #5 and is moved by the trigger.

The part is no longer available.
I may try to make one.

:?: My questions: Does anyone know what material the Valve is typically made of?
Any idea what it looks like?
impact gun part.JPG
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Re: Impact Wrench help

Postby RUSSALL » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:17 pm

Dave if it is no longer available it must be made of Unobtainium. I don't think anyone knows
what it looks like. :) :)

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:21 pm

RUSSALL wrote:Dave if it is no longer available it must be made of Unobtainium. I don't think anyone knows
what it looks like. :) :)

Russ

That is my favorite metal. :lol: :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Dave, on some guns that valve is just a ball the pin pushes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Dave its a Craftsman bring it back to Sears they might give you a new one :idea: :arrow: Really

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Unobtanium :?: :?: :?: That is easy to find. Just gotta go to Pandora :lol:

Dave:

I had an old craftsman pad sander a number of years ago. Broke one of the offset thingys that made the pad do it's orbital thing. Took it into Sears and they actually offered to replace it. However I opted to take it to a local tool repair shop who had been in business for years.. he had the part I needed. The old sander was miles better than any of the new stuff Sears wanted to give me. You might be able to find the needed part in a Mr. Fixit shop or something.

I just did a quick query and found this

Sears PartsDirect wrote:Throttle valve
Part for CRAFTSMAN, Model # 756188900

Number: 130348
Category: Hardware and Tools
Disclosures / Notes: This item is not returnable.
If you have questions, please call us at
(800) 252-1698.

We're sorry. This part is no longer available. No alternate or substitute part has been recommended by the manufacturer.

Will keep looking now that I have the part#
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:17 pm

Rudi wrote:You might be able to find the needed part in a Mr. Fixit shop or something.
Good idea Rudi !!
The part number you found is the same one I had as well.

Jackman wrote:Dave its a Craftsman bring it back to Sears they might give you a new one. Really
:headbang Thanks, hadn't thought about that route.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Picked up a Craftsman ratchet handle one time along the side of the Shore Parkway in Brooklyn. Didn't work Sears gave me a new one for it.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:03 pm

I have the same prolem with Craftsman 756.18880-1 and valve 203130348. I imagine it is the same part you are looking for. The Sears service center said the part was no longer available but offered to overhaul the wrench for a fixed fee. I asked how they could fix it if the part wasn't available. The answer was if they couldn't fix it, they would exchange it for another rebuilt one for the same price.

I found that Fastenal has impact wrench parts. I thought I might see if they have something that will work. My part evidently was conical with a blind hole on one end. The push rod from the trigger goes in the hole. The other end is cylindrical, smaller than the max diameter of the cone end. The return spring slips over the cylindrical part and rests on the back side of the cone.

If you find something, let me know!

By the way, generally the lifetime guarantee on Craftsman tools is ONLY for hand tools. Power tools usually have one year or some other specified time.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Dave:

I had thought about the lifetime guarantee but that is gone for many things. If it is 25 years or older does not qualify and I think that is what they meant by this:

Sears PartsDirect wrote:Throttle valve
Part for CRAFTSMAN, Model # 756188900

Number: 130348
Category: Hardware and Tools
Disclosures / Notes: This item is not returnable.
If you have questions, please call us at
(800) 252-1698.

We're sorry. This part is no longer available. No alternate or substitute part has been recommended by the manufacturer.

Will keep looking now that I have the part#[/quote]

So looks like Mr. Fixit will be the route. Oh there was one on :eBay: in February that went for $15.00US -- came up in the google search. A little late though :roll: :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun May 01, 2011 8:14 am

Dave it looks like an old CP imact from the drawing. I may still have a few lying around but I'll have to look. I may have thrown them out but maybe not.
If I still have them I can bring them with me when I am down your way the week of the 9th or 16th.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 am

Dave, I have a Craftsman model 875-18840 I was told that it was made by CHICAGO PNEUMATIC. Has the circle like CP on the side but is blank. It probably was made by them to Sears specifications. I don't know if all CP is made in the USA but mine is made in Japan, kind of refreshing not to see China.

I did a quick search but there were a lot of places to get parts but you will have to look farther then I did.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 am

If the impact gun is not something being redone for sentimental reasons, I second the idea of taking it back to sears and replacing it. about 10 years ago I took a handfull of old stuff that didn't work anymore from the 50's probably back and had replaced. Maybe thats changed but it used to be so.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue May 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I have used the air impact for many years. I used the CP 1/2' gun for most of my mechanic life. When i took my very first mechanic job at a dealer they had the ingersol electric impact guns. I laughed at first but then realized how good they are. I picked up a craftsman electric impact gun and use it along with my air operated guns too. Lately i can't find an affordable air 1/2" impact gun. I had an early harbor freight that was ok but the recent one i have doesn't work. My 1st CP 1/2'' impact wore out after decades of service. I do put in auto matic tranny oil in them once a week to lube my air impacts when i was working on every friday afternoon when all my hand tools went int the parts cleaner. I even took apart my hand wratchets to clean and lube them too. If you take care of your tools they inturn will last for you. Tool maintenace its a lost art. Remember to drain your compressor often too and check the lube in the compressor and the belt too. I have an older Ingersol 3/4'' drive impact gun that does all my heavy work to loosen stuff. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

jaye
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 85716

Postby jaye » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:35 am

Hey all.
I found this posting when looking for a repair kit or parts for my Sears 756 CP. Appears I need the fastest moving most common to fail NLA part. This is a gun I have had since new. Used for years in the shop then put it in the bottom of the tool box when the valve went out years ago.

In a clean up round I pulled it out to make the decision fix or recycle. One of those not wanting to throw out a perfectly good impact I started looking for parts. I did order a valve from a 744 and will be trying it. Since the shaft is shorter I was going to use the shaft from the 756 and cut it to make up the difference.

In the mean time I started looking through one of the spare hardware drawers and came across a oil metering valve seat from a rotary engine. It fits rather snugly on the shaft and with a washer works. It is like a jet encased in rubber.

This 756 is back up and running well. So if any one is still looking for the throttle valve for your 756 I can provide you with something that will work. Do not know what the life expectancy will be though. Since this will not be the everyday gun should last for a while. Have a Mazda part number, N326-14-633.

Thanks for inspiring me to fix this guy.

Jay - je@rotaryresponse.com

Return to “Off Topic”