This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

A Point of Etiquette

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

A Point of Etiquette

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:02 am

Having been born and grown up in Colorado, I need a lesson on the proper use and indication for "Miss", ie "Miss Janet" and "Miss Martha". I was taught to address my elders as Mr. or Mrs. until they indicated you could call them by their first name, and then only if it was insisted upon. I believe this is used both as a term of respect and endearment. Could someone fill me in on the details, so I will know how to use it properly. Also, what geographical regions favor this useage.

Thanks, Bob

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:23 am

The way I've always understood it, Miss was unmarried or younger lady.
Ms. (pronounced Mizz, not to be confused with Miss) was used for a lady your age or older of uncertain marital status*.
Mrs. is obviously a married woman.

*My wife doesn't have my last name, so she prefers to be called Ms. Jennett when she's teaching. Mrs. seems to imply to her that the person is married and does not have their original last name, so I can see where it might be considered rude for a Miss or a Ms. I think that Miss and Ms. are both safe titles to address with unless you specifically know that the lady is a Mrs.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:23 am

Bob,

Here, your elders, well, my elders are Mr. and Mrs. Like in the case of my spanish teacher in high school, she was fresh out of college and not married, thus she was just Ms. Chambers. When you get to know your elder well, or if it's not a formal occasion that you are meeting, Mr. Jimmy, and Ms. Martha are fine. For the most part, unless I'm in school or at some very formal event meeting new people, i tend to address as Mr. Jimmy instead of Mr. Long. No one really takes offense either way - they prefer their first name so as to not feel "old" they say :lol: . This is quite the norm here. If this isnt clear let me know. 8)
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 am

It is southern in origin, and as others said, is used to show respect. Depending on the area, you will find it pronounced Miss or Ms (Mizz). It would be used to greet some one you know on more than just a casual or who they are basis, and is more personable and less formal than using their last name - Miss Janet verses Mrs Johnson.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 am

In biker slang we use ole lady.Try that one out.None of them like it.keeps me duckin. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:26 pm

I think Paul B said it best for our area of southern Missouri. The only thing I can add is the term "Miss Ann" would be used by a peer of about the same age. A younger person would still be required to use the proper "Miss Jones" or "Mrs. Jones" terminology.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:48 am

Terms of respect like these are a dying thing today to be sure!

When I was growing up in the 1970's we ALWAYS called our friends' parents by their "proper" name. (Mr. and Mrs. Anderson,etc.) Today, my kids call almost all of their friends' parents by their first name, and I find it disrespectful. The problem is that these folks WANT to be called by their first name by my kids, so I can't do anything about it.

I do have some friends from back east, though, and they go by Mr. and Mrs. with my kids. It is refreshing to me...and they don't sound 'pretentious' or anything... Just MUCH more respectful...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 am

When my teenage son brought home a little girl he was dating she always called me "Mr. Horn", very respectful. I decided to have a little fun with her and told her that she did not have to call me Mr. Horn. She got this big smile on her face and then I dropped the bomb and told her she could cal me SIR! :lol: :lol: She took it very well. We have moved on to another girl friend now. Kids today are much more socially savy today than we were, good or bad.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

I've heard some people (I believe my Grandmother) say(pronounced) Mizris...
You think that is Mrs. ?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Well, I am glad that there are a few people left in our society that understand respect. My friends can call me Rudi, my wife and my mother can call me by my Christian Name.. anybody else does it, they is looking for me to make em a new one ifn you get the point.. What really ticks me off is young people who call me by my first name.

Up until my uncle died this past Christmas. and he was more of an older brother (11 years between us) to me, I always called him Unc... always.. that was what he liked, that is what I liked, and it was respectful. His sister who is 6 years older than I was always and will always be my Aunt. Why.. because that is who she is..

My Dad would bounce a 2x4 off of my head if I was to be so cheeky :big say what: and disrepectful to call an elder by their first name, or if I was to call a peer.. whom I did not know personally by their first name UNLESS it was indicated as proper.

Course .. bouncing a 2x4 offn anyone's head these days will get you 30 - 120 in the hoosegow.. but it is perfectly ok to call your teacher or elders by their first name.

NOT !!!! :big angry:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”