This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Price of Gas -- Oh No...

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby TexCub » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:03 pm

I talked to a few people in Europe who planned on taking a trip to the US and travelling around. The size was probably the hardest thing to convey. For those who haven't been around it all their lives, it's difficult to imagine. Since a 4-door pickup wasn't in my budget when I totalled my VW wagon ($1800 in parts, plus my labor... are you getting a good mental image of the old wagon? :lol: ) I bought a Saturn. 30 miles to the gallon has turned out to be my hedge against rising oil prices! That's about 48 kilometers (I think!) for you guys up there, Rudi and friends!! :wink:

But hey, what word do you guys use for "mileage" up there?

Scenario:

Me: Just got a Saturn

Buddy: What kinda mileage you gettin'?

I'm guessing there's not an equivalent, half curious and half ribbing you guys!

Seeing Rudi and Gilles going back and forth in French from time to time makes me think we may have to get a "French 101" thread going sometime!! Always like to know a few choice words and phrases in different languages!

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:16 pm

If you want a real jolt on what it costs to operate a vehicle, go to this site.

http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/conten ... 9646&noc=T

This is what the government pays employees for the use of personal vehicles. it is based on the average of total operating expenses for a vehicle, gas insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 pm

Any idea why allowance for medical treatment is just over 1/3 those costs?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 pm

Rudi, in my case - Home Depot, WalMart SuperCenter (scheduled to open Nov 2007!) and Security Tractor is easily within Cub driving distance. But using a major highway AND crossing over an interstate, I'd be reduced to a greasy stain on US-1 if I tried it! But anything else beyond the hamlets of Halethorpe and Arbutus is beyond reach unless you have access to an automobile. Although I could zip to BWI airport, University of Maryland or even Baltimore's Inner Harbor on a Cub, it would probably be stolen for scrap metal within moments if left unguarded.

Alas, mass transit about what you'd expect of a government run program. The bus service is ultimately designed here to serve those who can't afford personal transit. So it's crude, unreliable and run by a government entity. And by design, it takes hours to travel a few miles.

The commuter rail system is nicer than the bus because it's purpose was to serve a different clientel. Baltimore's rail systems were primarily designed to attract an NFL franchise and connect BWI to the Inner Harbor and downtown Baltimore, hauling commuters in and out of the downtown area was secondary. It's a system designed for attracting unsuspecting visitors to spend money. Unfortunately, the rail system doesn't always accomodate - there have been incidences where games let out late, after the trains stopped running, leaving thousands stranded at the stadium. The stations don't allow overnight parking for BWI travelers. No wonder the rail system is under utilized! Once bitten, twice shy. Thus traffic on game days is horrible, worse now that I-95 is being reconstructed on the north side for tolled express lanes, AKA "Lexus" lanes. Let the wealthy through without delay!

Green Acres is the place to be, Mr. Douglass was 40 years ahead of his time. Four more years, it's goodbye to dear life and off to the Old Haney Place (actually it's called the Old Stapleton Place by the locals, and I grew up on the Old Staubitz Place). Give me that countryside!

For what I paid for my old Suburban, I'm still ahead moneywise instead of purchasing a new puddlejumper. I've had my fill of navigating rush hour traffic on I-95 for decades. With several automotively destructive experiences, it made me appreciate massive amounts of steel around my body. Small cars just don't hold up well to collisions when everything else around you is much more massive, especially at high speeds in close proximity. Two Chevy Sprints totaled, that was the end of micro-driving for me - especially now that driving seems to be a secondary experience to eating, drinking and cell phoning talking and texting and ???
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 am

Green Acres

Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:17 am

Carl wrote [in part]:
Be aware of where your money is actually going when you purchase fuel. The price of gasoline is surprisingly uniform in North America and Europe but the tax structure is quite different. It ranges between 20-25% (each state has their own tax rate) here in the US while European countries collect as much as 85% of the total price in tax, obviously Mexico and Canada are somewhere in between.

The difference in price is TAXES, not the actual cost of the gasoline.

As public transportation goes…. co$t billion$ to in$tall.

Political campaigns. Promises made by liars.

Why does a small tax increase cost you $300 and a significant tax cut save you 39 cents?

In 2007, Americans will work longer to pay for government than they will for food, clothing and housing combined. In fact, government now takes 32% of the nation's income.

Carl wrote [in part]:
The commuter rail system is nicer than the bus because it's purpose was to serve a different clientel. Baltimore's rail systems were primarily designed to attract an NFL franchise and connect BWI to the Inner Harbor and downtown Baltimore, hauling commuters in and out of the downtown area was secondary. It's a system designed for attracting unsuspecting visitors to spend money.

Do you actually think the Government would want to help the people who financed the project with their hard earned tax money?

Carl you need to jump in the Presidential race; the beard will have to go (not politically correct) hair cut is ok.
Eugene for VP

John wrote [in part]:
If you want a real jolt on what it costs to operate a vehicle..

Really that’s cheap. If you buy a new car, finance it; add in the payments of the loan I think you would be closer of the aircraft per mile cost. Just think what the cost of operation would be if you sold the vehicle lets say, in three years of new purchase price, than add on the depreciation loss….. Wow what a deal!!!!
George wrote:
Any idea why allowance for medical treatment is just over 1/3 those costs?

Only way I think you can improve on that is; by becoming a politician or work for American auto manufacture (Ford or GM.) Than your medical would be paid for completely. Come to think of it, if you work for Ford or GM you can get paid for not working and free medical. But on the other hand if you become a politician in some cases, you can become rich, get paid for not working and free medical! :roll:

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:36 am

Sorry, Jack, but I'm too cynical to be in politics. My big mouth gets me into enough hot water at work and home! I'll help Eugene with his promises of what not to do if he's elected.

But that's a pathetic pack of slicked up scoundrels hoping to rule the world from DC. It's a cast of characters that reminds me of a John Water's movie. Scary.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Jack Fowler wrote:
Carl wrote [in part]: Political campaigns. Promises made by liars.

In 2007, Americans will work longer to pay for government than they will for food, clothing and housing combined. In fact, government now takes 32% of the nation's income.

Carl you need to jump in the Presidential race; the beard will have to go (not politically correct) hair cut is ok. Eugene for VP

I'm still working on campaign promises. The platform has not been fully constructed at this point. I do wish to thank FarmallCub members who have supported me with campaign donations. I'm currently waiting until 14 each million dollar checks clear the bank before starting the TV ads.

The total tax rate on US citizens is approaching 70 percent of their income. The Federal rip off rate is pretty close to 26 percent. But one must add in the imbeded taxes initially paid by producers and retailers which are included in the retail price for goods and services. Also, there are the sales taxes and the taxes and fees paid at the local county courthouse and city clerks office.

Let's reconsider the criteria of having hair to be a presidential candidate. I have not hair on the top of my head, bald describes the situation, but I do have a beard. This should be considered a positive point for a presidential candidate and the people who have donated to his/her campaign. Being bald, the presidential candidate does not require $400 hair cuts to be paid for out of campaign funds.

In reference to Carl's remarks about campaign promises and lies. Let me answer that with a personal heart felt comment and question. "When have I ever told anyone on this site a story?"

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub629XX
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36034

Postby cub629XX » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:20 pm

gasoline is no longer a cheap way, it costs a arm and a leg to operate all daily needs..gasoline prices here finaly fell down to $1.48 gal. that sure was a welcome change.

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:00 pm

are you saiyng gas costs $1.48 per gallon today where you are? or $2.48?
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:11 pm

I like this subject and it gets better all the time!!!I grew up in the DC suburbs and glad to be out!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D Canada is taxed more than we are,but we are right behind them.I like public trans and used it to comute to work when I was in the DC area.I now live[not for long] 5 miles from work.My new home [I HOPE] is 8 1/2 miles from work.I ride a HD when the weather is above 40 and hope to do so till January.Europeans ride pedal bikes and scooters and all kinds of gas sippers to get around along with public trains and such.Might be a nice way for me to meet a new better half.KETCHAM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I'm off my soap box!!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:17 am

Eugene wrote:
I do wish to thank FarmallCub members who have supported me with campaign donations. I'm currently waiting until 14 each million dollar checks clear the bank before starting the TV ads.

No problem Eugene and if you need more let me know.

Eugene wrote:
Let's reconsider the criteria of having hair to be a presidential candidate.

Have you considered letting your eyebrows grow and brushing them back :idea: .