This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

300 facts you probably weren't aware of

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:48 am

I agree, that frequently hot water pipes will freeze first, but it is not when they are in use and there is hot water in the lines, but when they have set for several hours at night and have already reached room temperature before they started getting excessively cool. One of the things I learned when working on appliances, etc. was that in the older hot water heaters (non turbulance type), that a good bit of sediment would settle out of the water, not to mention the calcium. as these are removed the water will freeze at a slightly (though not a big difference) higher temperature . However, it does have to cool first, and it takes time to get rid of the higher heat. one other thing I saw when servicing appliances was that frequently the hot water lines, especially in mobil homes, were run closer to the outside walls. Go figure. The sediment and lime being slightly removed form the hot water was the reason we frequently connected ice makers to the hot water line rather than the cold line. Less sediment and lime meant less problems with the fill valve sticking and flooding the fridge/ kitchen floor. I have a funny story that goes with that problem. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jackman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:35 am

John I hear ya , but my exspreiance is dfferant . I am in the Northeast and it gets real cold here add to that many city folks have 2nd homes that they vist on weekends those are the ones that freeze most because no one is home when the tank runs dry or the boiler just plain turns off when i go into these houses to start the unit a water check is a must and sometimes that is exactly what I find hot side frozen cold side aok :shock: , I have also seen them totaly frozen hot , cold even the boiler what a mess that makes when no one is home :shock: