This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chips and Tuners

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
TexasTechsan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76087

Chips and Tuners

Postby TexasTechsan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:21 pm

Your guys opinions on chipping trucks or using tuners on them? This is a topic that gets guys heated up on the Ford forums and I was wondering what you guys think. I'll reserve my opinons until someone else gets this going.
2007 F-250 PSD
1949 Farmall Cub w/ C-2 Mower
ImageImage

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:15 am

Other than it invalidates your warranty, helps you burn that $3.50/gal gas faster and proves nothing, I think it's a great idea. I'd be tinkering with my car when I was your age and my Father would say something to the effect of "those engineers have forgotten more than you'll ever know about automotive design !! Leave it alone". I pass on this sage wisdom to you knowing it will fall on the same deaf ears. Craig

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 am

Unless you're primarly interested in the bling and brag factors, these are your trade offs. Most aftermarket performance products are for show only. Claims to improve this-or-that do so at the expense of performance or durability or make the vehicle no longer street legal. Some products only work under very specific circumstances and require other vehicle modifications to reap full benefit. The products that improve overall performance and durability without legal issues tend to be far too expensive to justify their purchase by most people. Find the resale price of the component, that will give you a good idea if it's actual value.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:14 pm

I would say it's a matter of what you want to do with the truck, ifn your into pulling trailers with it and stuff, it might be worth it to buy something to give you that extra HP, but personally ifn your just gonna drive it around, and do a little hauling here and there, probably isn't worth it... we were thinking of doing something like that on our Chevy, it's a 96, but we just put some glasspacks on, and that gave it a bunch more HP, and we're gonna work over the intake side a little bit everntually...

Johnny

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:37 pm

I talked to a cousin of mine who owns a trucking company in Idaho. He runs a Ford diesel. He changed out his intake and exhaust pipes (behind the muffler) to increase air flow. He also put in an Edge chip because he hauls a big horse trailer quite a bit. With the chip and air modifications he did (around $1000.00) his fuel mileage went up about 5-6 MPG. BUT, he drives at normal speeds and doesn't punch it. So if you chip it to run faster, fuel mileage will take it in the shorts. Most chips have 3 or 4 programs so you can optimize the output for what you need the engine to do.

Bob

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm

A lot of it depends on what you have. The diesels cna gain a good bit of HP, but it invalidates the warranty, and as anytime you modify an engine to get more HP, it does put more stress on the engine. On a gas engine, the main thing it does is change the shift points, though it can increase the HP some.

I do have a tuner for my Ranger, that has 3 programs in it. an 87 octane performance, 87 torque, and 93 torque, for trailer towing. I can tell the difference in power for the 93 octane program, but it does require premium fuel when running it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:02 pm

If they could make a chip that would cut my HP in half in exchange for double the mileage I would buy one. I use my truck most of the time as a daily driver and I don't need the power for that, but I do pull a trailer and haul stuff so it would be nice to set it for power while doing that. :wink:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 pm

My uncle put chip in his 05 F250. He does ALOT of towing, big loads at that. It has helped with his towing and all, but the fuel milage is probably not much better since he tows so much weight and plays with :D . Its next to impossible to keep it in two lanes when you punch the throttle :shock: Like they said, it depends on what you're really gonna do.
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:04 pm

I am also a diesel owner also , a 97 F-250 PSD and 95 F-350 PSD. Both of my trucks are bone stock and no plans for a chip just because I am not in to the hi performance aspect of the PSD, however i do want to at sometime put in a remote idle control because the PSD is totally controled by the computer and I want a lower idle speed, thats as far as I will go on changeing the factory tuning.

Return to “Off Topic”