This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Golf Cart survey; Gas or Electric?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Should I buy a Gas or Electric Golf Cart

Poll ended at Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:40 am

GAS
91%
ELECTRIC
9%

Total votes: 11

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Golf Cart survey; Gas or Electric?

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:40 am

OK folks, here's the scoop. My wifes 94 yr old great Uncle fell 2 weeks ago and broke his hip, he opted to have the surgery and they did replace the hip & socket. Not sure if he'll recover to 100%, but he's a tough old guy and his spirits are high.

Anyway, Uncle Roy has been my tractor show buddy for several years especially since his wife died a few years back, and would go to several shows with me. Now with the hip replacement, not sure if he's up to going anymore, or if he'll be able to walk on his own again.

With that being said, I'm thinking of buying a golf cart to go to the shows and get him around. My question is: GAS or ELECTRIC?

I'm leaning towards a gas version as they could haul 3-4 people easier than the electric carts, the batteries will set me back some $$$ if I would have to replace them all at once, and the dealer I talked to states:
If you do the right maintence on the gas engine, it should last you for years as you're not using it anymore than you would with a lawn mower engine
I know a few of you have a cart, just wanting to make an educated decision here. Thanks MD
Mike Duncan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:29 am

Gas for sure! Don't like messing with all those batteries!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:34 am

I too agree with BigDog, gas is the way to go. I've done some dumb stuff (like have it help me move a woods 59 deck) with my Yamaha G1 (gas) and it still runs like a top.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am

Each has it's advantages, with an electric there is less maintenance, just clean battery terminals every year or so. Most batteries will start to degrade in a couple of years, but will still be useable enough to get you through a show for 4 or 5 years.

A gas cart normally has more torque, and if you do run out of gas, you don't have to let it set several hours while you recharge it. I have a trailer hitch on my old 2 cycle that I use frequently, pulling up to as much as 1,000 pounds on level ground. That being said, I do have the parts ordered to overhaul my engine now, but in all fairness, it is 15 years old, and I run 20+ gallons of gas through it every year, which is a lot of running.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:54 am

Can I vote twice? Both our golf carts are gas. I only know one person who swears by electrics.

My step mother's step mother broke her hip at age 99. After a quick repair job and short therapy stay in a nursing home she returned to her home where she lives alone. She'll soon turn 101.

I hope it works out as well for Uncle Roy!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:14 am

Can I vote twice?

George, you can can do ANYTHING you want, you've earned it :!:

Glad to hear the story about your step mother. Give's me hope that things can work out for him as well. Uncle Roy has outlived two wives. The 1st I never knew, she died of cancer way before I married into the family. His 2nd wife died about 3 yrs ago from a long struggle with Leukemia. I feel more like his surrogate Son rather than a nephew. He is like yourself, has seen a lot of things during his lifetime and shares a lot of memories and knowledge with me. It's been bothering me a lot these last 2 weeks to see him in that hospital bed. Besides my parents, siblings, and of course my wife and her immediate family, I no longer have any grandparents or Aunts/Uncles left on my side of the family.

It takes it's toll on me & my wife, as we plan our week around visiting and doing things with him, but I truly enjoy his company and he loves it when I take him out to the barn, and show him what I'm working on with regards to my tractors as well as my woodworking stuff.

Had every hope that I was bringing him to CubTug, but that's not going to happen. When I visited with him last night, I told him about shopping for the golf cart and told him the reason I was looking to buy one. His eye's lit up and he commented that he would be willing to attend more shows with me as that meant less walking.

So, I'm praying he starts to heal soon as I'd love to bring him to Portland this year. I'd love the chance to sit down with the two of you and hear what type of conversations would spur from that :!:
Mike Duncan

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Mike I vote for gas. Annie occasionally has trouble with her feet so I bought her a gas cart last year and we have been very pleased with it. We live on top of a rather steep hill and it has more than enough power.

I think there is a special place in Heaven for people like you who take on the care of aged family or friends. God Bless.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:37 pm

Since most people own gas I would say that must be preferable. However I currently own an electric that was given to me. It is an 83 EZGO. I installed new batteries almost exactly 1yr ago. I was at Redpower last yr for three days and it lasted the whole time and I used it most of the day all three days. At home I use it most days and only charge it about once every two weeks. It will easily go in the most demanding conditions 8hrs 2 days straight. It has plenty of power to do whatever you want. Last yr I pulled Rick P's Cub over a mi. with it when it stopped running. Its seen some real hard use over the last 24yrs and its still reliable everyday. So basically I wouldn't discount electric because of the batts. They cost me $500.00 and should last 5-8yrs. Based on the fact there is just about nothing else to go wrong they are fairly economical. I put rear Ags on mine and use it all winter hauling my gear to do firewood and some firewood too. Its real ugly and its been to the last 2 Cubfests and Cubtugs and my wife never lets it rest. It goes all day long at the shows.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:46 am

I have a mid-80's EZ Go gas and have had real good luck with it. Electric would work if you knew the batteries were new, otherwise, ???????
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 am

How about the weight? Seems like a gas cart would weigh less without all the batteries. Easier to haul, maybe. Electrics are quieter, but people don't hear them coming and walk right in front of them - happens at work often.
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:52 am

The only problem you'll run into with either one, most shows are now requiring either Handicap stickers and/or proof of insurance. Seems too many parents let their younger kids run wild and ruin it for the rest. I ended up selling my gas cart last year because it became too much of a hassle at the shows. Now I ride around with George(IH48) and his Bradley rider :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 am

George Willer wrote:My step mother's step mother broke her hip at age 99. After a quick repair job and short therapy stay in a nursing home she returned to her home where she lives alone. She'll soon turn 101.

I hope it works out as well for Uncle Roy!

Yesterday was my step mother's 90th birthday with a huge celebration. Her step mother Helen was there but she didn't dance. I was mistaken about her age. She turned 101 last December 24th.

I hope to meet your uncle Roy.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Off Topic”