This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cell Phone Problem

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Cell Phone Problem

Postby Merlin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:58 am

I can only explain this if I make it fairly long. We have had our cell phone about 7 years. In Nov. 2006 my wife was in the hospital and the phone must have gotten thrown in the trash. I went to the Cingular store and all they had less than $200.00 was the $40.00 you get by renewing your contract. I picked that one. Two months later I took my brother to Radio Shack and they had a wall full of $40.00 phones with a new contract. As it turned out, the phone we have has numbers too small for fingers to mash and words too small to read. We have called AT&T and Cingular and the least expensive phone they have is a refurbished for $169.00 unless you are a new customer, then the phone is free. I could upgrade to a 2 phone family for $20.00 + per month, but I don't need or want 2 phones. They also told me if I could find someone with an old phone they don't want any more and it has an original Cingular SIM card in it, I could put my SIM card in it and use it and throw mine away or dispose of it as I see fit. Does any of you have an old phone laying around not being used that has numbers large enough to mash that you would part with? Or maybe know a store that won't charge an arm and a leg? It doesn't matter if it is solid or fliptop. I'm not eligible to upgrade free until July 2008. In the meantime, our phone is almost useless. Thanks.
Merlin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Merlin, I know what you are going thru. My father-in-law has similar problems. Beside the buttons being too small for him to see/use, add to that the problem of him having hearing aides.

The "Smaller is Better" designs is driven by the "Yuppies" in my opinion, wanting to have more things in a smaller package.

This isn't going to help you today, but check out the following link for the "Jitterbug" phone.

http://www.jitterbug.com/?id=google&gclid=CNq0vYSa8IwCFQlQWAod9Ql6EA

I realize you are locked into a contract and such, and don't want to spend more money right away, but we got one of these phones for my parents. They don't use the phone that much, they just have it mainly to use in case of emergencies and when they are traveling.
Mike Duncan

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link. That will be my next phone when my contract finally expires next year. Wish I would have known about it last November.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:24 pm

Merlin, I like you, am totally turned off by a cell phone no bigger than a pack of smokes yet has a phone, camera, internet, music player and Lord knows what else. I looked at the Jitterbug that Mike suggested and it's exactly what I've been looking for :{_}: :lol: . Thanks Mike
Last edited by pete1941 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:47 pm

2 words of caution about the cell phones, if you get one that is too old, cinulair/ATT will not activate it.

2nd thing is the jitterbug does not say who the service provider is. Do they work of cingulair/ATT, or Verizon/us cellular, etc. or their own service. Not all service providers are equal, or even good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:59 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:2 words of caution about the cell phones, if you get one that is too old, cinulair/ATT will not activate it.

They told me that they didn't have to activate it. Just remove the battery and the SIM card is under the battery. Just remove the old SIM card from the old phone (throw it away) and install the SIM card from my present phone into the old phone and it will work.

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:38 pm

Merlin,
I have a Nokia model 6010 that I will send you if it will help out? I'm not sure how much larger the numbers would be but if they are any bigger your welcome to it. It works fine just needs a sim card.
Look it up on the web and let me know if it will help.
Went back and found a link. It comes with a battery charger, case, belt clip, and the phone is dark blue. Looks like new.

Ron W.
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6010
Last edited by Kodiak on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:41 pm

Mike mentioned the problem with hearing aids. Some providers (Cingular for one) have some phones that work perfectly with hearing aids.

My mother has a phone with a necklace type loop that plugs into the phone. She just puts the loop around her neck and plugs in the phone. The sound is inductively(?) transfered from the phone to her hearing aid. She claims it sounds "perfect". It's not practical to use all the time but when she can use it she loves it.

That doesn't help with the problem of small buttons and big fingers but it might make hearing a caller a little easier.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:49 pm

you can find some deals on ebay with used phones as well. you do not have to have a contract to dial 911 any cell phone will do this . so if you have an old phone charge it up and carry it with you when you travel.
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:54 pm

Kodiak wrote:Merlin,
I have a Nokia model 6010 that I will send you if it will help out? I'm not sure how much larger the numbers would be but if they are any bigger your welcome to it. It works fine just needs a sim card.
Look it up on the web and let me know if it will help.
Went back and found a link. It comes with a battery charger, case, belt clip, and the phone is dark blue. Looks like new.

Ron W.
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6010

I would appreciate it Ron. From what I can see in comparison, the 6010 looks like a giant up side mine. I think we could push a number without covering 2 at a time and wondering which number we pushed. If I take something sharp, I can push the "lock key" button and then the star button to lock the keys, but Nina works on it 30 minutes before she can unlock it. When my contract runs out, I am going to buy a Jitterbug. Do you want the postage now, or after it arrives? I think you have my address. If not, I will resend it. Like Cingular said, I can use my present SIM card from my phone. Thanks again.
Merlin

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:04 am

Wow, glad the "Jitterbug" looks good to a few of you. Trust me, I don't own stock in them like apparently some folks do with Kroil?

Funny thing is, I work for AT&T Goverment Solutions. As an AT&T employee, they do make offers for discount plans and such to employees. Here I am an AT&T person, and I use Verizon as my cell provider and someone other than AT&T for my home phone service :!:
Mike Duncan

Return to “Off Topic”