This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thinking of buying a new truck, good advice appreciated.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 am

Buy American ?? Comeon guys - there is virtually no such thing anymore. We live in an International economy so you'd save yourself a lot of angst by realizing that few things are totally made here anymore. My Saab (100% owned by GM BTW) has a Japanese sound system, lots of German parts under the hood and GM brakes, steering and clutch assemblies. I looked at a pile of t-shirts I regularly wear the other day - out of 20 or so, 2 were made here (Russell and Fila I think) There were such exotic names as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Macau, and several Latin countries. This is true of most clothing sold in this country. The latest pet food recall was the result of bad wheat gluten imported from China and used in the food. GM figures that over $1500/car goes to benefits for retired workers thus putting them at a competitive disadvantage. We are no longer the world's #1 economic power we once were - we could argue for days as to the reasons so I won't fuel the fire. Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:45 am

Well, I'm down to two choice's right now it looks like. At the top of my list is the Dodge MegaCab 2500 series with the Cummins and the 6-speed automatic in it. My second choice has been a tough one, but it's down to the Ford 250 outfitted with the PSD and automatic as well.

Going stay with a 4X4 drivetrain as I have had the need for it with the traveling we do, plus field work up at the farm. Also going to down-size to a 6.5' bed this time. I chose the 8' bed last time for the larger tank, but it seems to take all day to turn the truck around since I have the full size crew cab, so I promised the wife I'd try to get something a little more "Parking" friendly.

I've talked to so many folks, both here on the Forum and in person. I've seen guys in a parking lot, walked right up to them and asked them straight up about how they like their truck.

Now I'm just down to options, color choices, and of course $$$$. Luckily since I work at AT&T, we provide to all three of the American MFR's, so I get an employee discount to all three of them.
Mike Duncan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 am

Mike:

As I said before, I am partial to the New Dodge Ram 2500 series trucks myself, but my buddy Gord just bought hisself a brandy new Ford.. not sure if it is an F-150 or an F-250. Either way it has the towing package.. and he is now looking for a trailer to go with his truck.

Like the other topics.. it alll boils down to personal preference and of course customer satisfaction. I like my Dodge products over the GM products now, but they could not compete with GM back in the 60's through very early 80's. Then GM lost it's ability or desire to compete and Dodge, Ford and even Toyota have not only caught up but surpassed them. The only issue I have with Dodge or any Chrysler product right now is not product quality but Product Service Quality.. my dealer sucks big time and this is it. We are moving dealerships... enough BS and wasted cash..

Most crucial thing about a particular mark of vehicle is the service behind it. IF it is crappy then the impression is negative, if the service is outstanding then the impression is very positive.

Go figure huh :!: :wink: :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:40 am

Most crucial thing about a particular mark of vehicle is the service behind it.

Good point, luckily my last 2 vehicles never went into a dealership for service, except for factory recalls. I do all the work myself; fluid changes/brakes/shocks etc. That's the current selling point of going with the Dodge. The local dealer is 5 mins from my current office, and about 15 mins away from the base, so he is close and they have been pretty good so far. My wife drives the 300C with the Hemi in it, and they do all the service on it. I choose not to as the engine compartment is so cramped in there. Went to chance the foglamp bulb one day, had to remove the entire wheel well assemble to get to it, and then fould that the bulb was fine but the socket had broke. Buttoned it all back up, and told her to schedule it with the dealer as I already had 2 hrs into it, and didn't even fix it.

I think it comes down to regular maintenance, just as with our tractors, and other equipment for that matter.

Even though oil's have gotten better, I still change mine at 3K and have since I was a teen as that is what my Dad taught me to do. I even rotate my tires every other oil change (I know that may sound drastic) but this gives the excuse to take a look at the brakes and other items while I'm there. Must be working for me, as my last truck had 98K when I sold it & my current truck is pushing 75K and still has not been to see a mechanic other than myslef.
Mike Duncan

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 am

My apology for changing the subject a little, but Craig brought up something that really is reality now days.

After working as an Automotive Technician for 30 + years on G.M. Vehicles and Ford for five years I have seen many changes.

Magnumpi wrote

Buy American ?? Comeon guys - there is virtually no such thing anymore. We live in an International economy so you'd save yourself a lot of angst by realizing that few things are totally made here anymore.

Craig, maybe there is hope on the American / Canadian side for automotive manufacturing, but I don’t think its “Moms apple pie”

Recently, I went to a Rent-A-Car/ leasing dealer the company I work for owns to apply for a job, because the Chevrolet’s and Ford’s aren’t selling where I work. With a pending Dealers association strike this August I’m trying to reposition myself.

While visiting and talking to some of the Technicians naturally the subject of car sales came up. One technician shared some pictures with me that really open my eyes and at first I didn’t believe it until he physically showed the vehicle to me. These are some of the illustration’s that was shown to me on some of the vehicles in the rental fleet….

Vehicle 1

Radiator
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=1.jpg

Battery
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=2.jpg

Fuel Tank
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=3.jpg

Vehicle 2

Wheel
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=5.jpg

Vehicle 2’s manufacturer…..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=6.jpg

Vehicle 1’s manufacturer…..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/USA%20Made/?action=view&current=4.jpg

Vehicle 2 is a 07 Impala.

So…. , what is American / Canadian made? Maybe something with a foreign name tag!

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:16 am

Sad, but true Jack !! Thanks for the documentation of something few wish to talk about - esp. in election years !! America has priced itself out of most markets when you reference manufacturing as labor has pressed for wages not supported by pricing/profits IMO. Believe me, I don't take joy from this - I'm as pro-American (OK, Canada too) as the next guy, but things are just not as good as they used to be )and I don't mean that in a positive way).
A neighbor drove his new Ford Explorer/Expedition whatever in here the other day and we talked about this very issue. He's a Kenworth technician and was quick to point out some things that didn't impress him about his car - not the least of which was the PLASTIC intake manifold !! Let's see, cast iron block, aluminum heads and plastic intake - all with different coefficients of expansion and contraction !! Little wonder "stuff" happens.
Try calling for tech support on your new computer and getting someone sitting in New Delhi whom you can't understand !! OK, I'll quit for now - it's very disappointing to see what's happening with no turnaround in sight as long as corporate greed rules. Craig

Return to “Off Topic”