This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Canada and Vimy Ridge

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Canada and Vimy Ridge

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:37 am

Ok.. I am going to try this again... hopefully no brouhaha will erupt. But seeing as I love history -- accurate history and not fictional creations from Bye-Gollywood... I am presenting this link in the hopes that others of the same bent as I (Military History Buffs), will get to watch this tonight on History...

Queen keen to watch Vimy Ridge documentary
I am hoping the link will work.

Well, it works after a fashion.. but.. only if you are a subscriber.. sheesh..

So.. I am trying to find the schedule for History TV .. but so far.. I can't find diddley...

Queen keen to watch Vimy Ridge documentary

Monday March 26th, 2007
Appeared on page B10

Considering there's some debate about whether the Queen has yet to see last year's hit movie about her, Canadian documentarian Elliott Halpern was quite chuffed to learn Buckingham Palace has put in a request for his "Vimy Ridge: Heaven to Hell."

After screenings at war museums in both Canada and the U.K., Halpern's 90-minute documentary is now considered an authoritative look at how Canadian soldiers wrested France's pivotal Vimy Ridge from the Germans during the First World War - a stunning military triumph that's considered a seminal moment in the birth of Canadian nationalism.

"Vimy Ridge: Heaven to Hell" airs tonight on History Television at 9 p.m.

"We've been told two things: that the Queen is going to the recommemoration of the Vimy Monument and for the 90th anniversary in France on April 9, and that Buckingham Palace has requested a copy of the film before she goes," Halpern said in a recent interview.

"And actually, so has the PMO (in Ottawa) and so has the Governor General. So that's pretty neat and very gratifying - they're all going, so I guess they want to see it to help them prepare for the day."

The documentary is a powerful look at how four divisions of Canadian soldiers did the impossible in 1917 - after months of intricate preparation and an innovative battle plan, they swiftly took the seemingly invincible German stronghold in northern France where thousands of British and French soldiers had previously perished in fruitless attempts to seize it.

"This was a 3-D battle - it was an incredibly unified vision for a battle in the air, on the ground and also underground," said Halpern, whose Toronto-based Yap Films produced the documentary.

"Our mission statement was to show how those three dimensions of the battle were brilliantly put together, and to attempt an explanation on why Canadians were successful in taking a ridge where 200,000 British and French soldiers had died."

The documentary follows historians and archeologists as they excavate large areas of the battlefield, discovering everything from the stray bones of soldiers who were clearly blown to bits and a relatively pristine pack of Craven A cigarettes, to some Canadian artifacts including a metal emblem from a uniform.

They also ventured into the underground spaces where many Canadian soldiers lived while awaiting battle - a network of tunnels that hadn't been explored in 90 years. It was the first time, Halpern said, that such an underground village had been constructed to spare soldiers the common fate of being killed in the trenches before ever going to battle.

The sight of the graffiti from Canadian soldiers adorning the underground walls is particularly moving since it's clear so many of them feared they would not survive the approaching warfare.

Numerous maple leafs were etched by men and boys from places as far and wide as Vancouver and New Liskeard, Ont., long before the symbol was officially adopted for the Canadian flag, suggesting a true sense of nationalism was developing for a country that was not yet 50 years old at the time.

"There were other major achievements after Vimy by the Canadian corps that some would argue were even bigger and more important ultimately to the winning of the war, but Vimy was this massive shift because it was the first and it was such an enormous success," Halpern said.

The intelligence of the battle plan, especially the Canadians' use of wireless communications between those in the air and the troops on the ground, also earned Canada worldwide respect.

"They rethought tactics that had been used before and they added to them," Halpern said. "They actually had observers and pilots in the air using wireless communication to directly send co-ordinates to gun batteries, and that was really extraordinary. As a result they knocked out 83 per cent of the German guns before the battle started, and that was huge part of the victory."

The documentary also follows three soldiers from Goderich, Ont., each fighting in a different dimension of the battle - one by air, one on the ground, and one working in the battlefield tunnels, adding a personal element to "Vimy Ridge: Heaven to Hell."

"The Canadian soldiers are known to be free-thinking, free-drinking, hard-fighting," one historian says during the film. "They're not very prone to saluting at the right times and they're a bit scruffy."

But as the battle loomed, the Germans cared little about the personal habits of the Canadians, according to some German intelligence unearthed during the documentary.

The Germans write of fearing the might of a particular segment of the British army: "Four of the best English attack divisions, the Canadians," the intelligence papers say.

In the end, they had every reason to fear.

On April 9, 1917, all four Canadian divisions attacked side by side, capturing the front line in 30 minutes, a second line two hours later, and within a day, the highest point on Vimy Ridge. The entire German stronghold had fallen by April 12.

"It was a stunning and complete victory, and that's where they became Canadians," Halpern says.

I for one intend to watch
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 am

That doesn't seem to be scheduled on our History Channel tonight on Comcast. :(
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:00 pm

Don McCombs wrote:That doesn't seem to be scheduled on our History Channel tonight on Comcast. :(

Don:

I know.. I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to find it on the US Channel. I know it is on the Canadian Channel.. but if you go the the History Channel's Global map... it doesn't even list Canada as a country that has History.. :?: :?: :?:

You may be able to access via request??

History Television does work and... tada :!: :wink: :D Vimy Ridge: Heaven to Hell. 8) :D I already told Em guess what we is watching tonight :?: :?: :?: :?: :!:

Let me know if you can find it on the US side :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:06 pm

We subscribe to DirecTV. I did a search for "Vimy" and came up with zilch.

Rudi, sorry Canada has no history.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:48 am

Rudi
Thanks for the heads up.It as very interesting for me.Since I put six years in the artillery. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Bruce Sanford wrote:Rudi
Thanks for the heads up.It as very interesting for me.Since I put six years in the artillery. 8) :) Bruce

No Problem buddy.. now question.. where are your veterans plates :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Return to “Off Topic”