This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Consumption-94 Ranger

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Here would be another area, as Jim said the converter burning the oil,---ok,--could have the burned oil residue be restricting the exhaust flow creating higher back pressure in the engine? ---just a wild card, but might be worth checking! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:11 pm

I posted your problem on the rangerstation.com, and got a reply to check the oils sendign unit on the right side of engine near the front. It seems a high pressure leak is not unusual. He said to look for oil on strter or on right side of enigne.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Heres another "wild card" Valve seals.. Usually indicated by a puff of blue smoke when starting a cold engine. :idea: :idea:
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:27 am

junkman1946 wrote:Heres another "wild card" Valve seals.. Usually indicated by a puff of blue smoke when starting a cold engine. :idea: :idea:
also a puff of smoke when accelerating after coasting down a long hill.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:45 am

Jim: The exhaust pipe on the Ranger is similar to that of my Impala. Generally, I don't need to add oil to the Impala between scheduled changes. John, no evidence of defective oil sending unit, right side of engine is not oily. I do appreciate all info which has been posted on this topic. Our plan, at this moment, is to do an engine flush soon. I will check today to see if the quick oil change place in Magnolia has the equipment needed to do a reverse flush. If not, probably Texarkana, about an hours drive, would be the closest place to do one. We may do the flush, rather than going to Texarkana, and hope that we don't encounter a problem of gunk stopping up passageways. Has anyone who has done this encountered such a problem? Thanks, Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 am

I have never done it on a car, but have on old tractors simply by adding Sea Foam to the oil and running a few hours, then draining, and it cleaned the sludge, etc. with no problems. and no plug ups.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Dan, I tqalked to a friend who is a mechanic at the local Ford dealer/ His suggestion was to used Seafoam on the top of the engine (suck in through an vaccum line and put it in the tank), as well asp out it in the oil, then drive it a while and change the oil.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:30 am

John: With the info which you provided from the Ford mechanic, we have decided to postpone the reverse engine flush. Instead, this weekend we will do the Seafoam treatment, on top as well as in the oil. Maybe we will see a marked change in oil usage. If not, we can do the flush at a later time. Thanks again, Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:39 pm

This morning,my son did the Seafoam treatment through the carb as well as in the oil. He drove it for awhile, brought it home and did an oil change, discovering that there is an indication of previous leakage near the oil sending unit, a problem which I had said we did not have. The drained oil was extremely black, so a lot of carbon was removed. He installed diesel oil, will drive it a few days, then drain again. We will have the oil sending unit checked on Monday and replaced if needed. It will probably be 1-2 weeks before we can determine the effect on oil usage. I will let you know. Dan

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:20 pm

I have had the same problem with several Chevrolets and some much older Fords. Mostly the valve seals failed, but I have dealt with stuck piston rings and some goofed-up vacuum lines and sensors failing as well. There may be a problem specific to the 4.0L engine. It takes a lot of oil being burned before it becomes apparent at the tailpipe.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:35 am

Carl: We dropped it off at a repair shop yesterday afternoon to have the oil sending unit checked. They didn't have time to check it but should today. So, we should soon see if what has been done has eliminated or reduced the problem. Dan

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Well, just received report from the repair shop. The rear main seal is leaking. Assuming that this is the only problem, earlier observations of no smoke, exhaust pipe not oily, not fouling plugs, very little oil build-up on right side of motor make sense. At the rate at which oil was disappearing, the truck should have, like a new dog in the community, marked every location in which it stopped. However, we were involved in flea market booths at that time and one lane of our two car garage was being used as an area to clean, repair, and paint items for the booths. So, the truck was usually parked outside on a grassy area. It will be a fairly expensive repair but very inexpensive when compared to what a motor rebuild would have cost. Thanks again for the many suggestions which were given. Dan

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:10 pm

That's better news than digging into the engine!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:33 pm

Well, a final report on the Ranger. I went by the garage to pick it up after being told that it had a leaking rear main seal. Since I wasn't prepared for the replacement of the seal at this time, a mechanic had moved the Ranger out of the shop and it had been sitting outside for a couple of hours before I arrived. I checked underneath and there wasn't any fresh oil on the pavement, not even one drop. So, there may be a leak at the rear main but, if so, it is an extremely tiny leak and is not a factor in the rapid oil usage. We next used an aggessive engine cleaner, let it run for 10-15 minutes followed by two oil changes. This seemed to have had a positive effect. Immediately before starting this journey, the truck had gone through a quart of oil in 150 miles. It now uses a quart in about 600 miles. So, that may be as good as we are going to get from the motor. Again, thanks for all of the advice. Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:06 am

Glad to hear you have had some success. Might pay to do it again.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”