This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

For What It's Worth

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

For What It's Worth

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:03 pm

I was very hesitant to write this post, at first, for fear that I was over-reacting. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I should. I think that I am seeing a very disturbing, at least to me, trend developing. I hope I'm wrong. It is something that we haved prided ourselves for avoiding since this forum came into existence. The only term that I can come up with to describe it is bickering. My understanding of the founding principles of this board, is a sharing of ideas, not critiquing them. It hasn't happened often, but it has already had some impacts on our membership. It starts out simply enough. Someone asks a question or presents an idea. Somebody answers the question, and then someone takes issue with the answer. It goes back and forth between the two people for a while and then others start to choose sides. Someone gets offended and says or does something that they later regret. It's human nature, but it's an activity that has eventually destroyed other similar forums in the past. I really enjoy this place and I'd hate to see it happen here. There are many, many ways to approach the challenges that our favorite little red (or yellow & white) tractors present us with. Very few of these approaches are wrong. Only different. How we approach them is a product of the set of skills, knowledge, tools, facilities and desires that we bring with us. We should be celebrating those differences, not criticizing them.

As I said, I hope I'm wrong. Nuf Sed.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:53 pm

I have to agree with you Don I too have been hesitant to post lately. I applaud the moderators for keeping it under control. Just my 2cents worth.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:57 pm

Guys:

Keep doing what you do best.. posting and interacting with all of our family members. The nice thing about this community of ours is that we are all just like a family. Sometimes things get a lttle bit on the cantankerous or nit-picky side, but then again, most get over it, no hard feelings and stuff like that.

It is difficult, but as in all families of any type, we will get along.

Not posting is equivalent to not talking. Not talking is equivalent to not sharing. Not sharing is equivalent to being by oneself in a vacuum. Let us not go there.

Everyone is needed.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:25 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. I have hesitated quite a few times about responding to a few things and chickened out and stayed quiet for a couple of reasons. first off most of us would agree that the way we write things AINT always the way someone else will interpret them. Then you have the one that tries to put a little humor (which I live for) into something and it goes all haywire. Ya just don't know how to decipher a lot of statements. I know 200 lbs on a cub seat (?) used to write a lot and I had the feelings someone stepped on his feelings. I don't agree with a few things expressed on here but I admire the person for expressing themselves and using our freedom to do so. Well then I just ignore the part I don't like and look at the main reason why I'm here. CUBS and all the valuable info and all the folks that are willing to take their time to HELP. Theres too little time for arguing in my opinion so I agree to disagree on a lot of things, besides that it would be an awful boring world if we all thought the same. Keep smiling. I love it here. even if I can't spell real good its close enough so folks can understand me (I think) :? :shock: :D :D Dave
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:23 am

Did Tom lose weight 200lbs on a cub seat?
I TOO WOULD LIKE TO SEE TOM COME BACK
tOOLMAN
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:11 am

Me three!! :(

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:34 am

Don
I agree wholeheatedly.
However, sometimes while writing e-mail format things get all jumbled, for one, an exclamation mark etc will and can be offensive, when offense was not intended.
That's why it is so important to make personal contact @ cubfest etc. It calms alot of questons, when you know the heart from which it was wrote Exclamations and all.!!
My.02
Phil :wink:
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:53 am

Phil, I couldn't agree more.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:15 am

I too have to agree with everything that is said. Years ago we only had neighbors or families to talk too and get advise or opinions or support. Today we have the WEB. I came to this site to check things out on problems with my cub. Man that was the greatest thing I have done for a long time. Its not just problems for your tractors this site gives great support on family/medical problems. Keeps me at home with the family not in bad places.
THIS SITE & THE PEOPLE ARE GREAT
Which I haven't meet very many close to home but will some day I hope.

Thanks for the life we have today.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 am

Years ago I read a book on investing Dance of the Money Bees by John Train (I think). The book was about men who were very successful in trading in the stock market. Each of these men had a different stategy and each was successful.

When Wall Street week was still on the air I watched it each week with notepad in hand. I noticed the most successful investors liked to talk about their mistakes.

Point: Each of us has different goals, stategies, skills, desires but we all like Cubs or their big brothers and sisters. But we all get stuck, blind sided, make mistakes (usually the same one over and over). A wise man doesn't make the same mistake twice (at least not on the same day). I have learned a lot and I have had posts corrected by others. Usually because I did not consider a different way of looking at the situation. I am usually thankful for the reply. Old Calabrese (Reggio de Calabria is the toe of Italy) proverb freely translated: A friend will tell you your fly is open; your enemies will not say a single word.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:05 am

Good job Toolman, I made him 200 lbs to see if anyone corrected me. Glad ya did :lol: :lol: Thats what makes this a great site. See something ya know (or think) isn't right,ya speak up. Gosh I like it when someone corrects me. (quite often in my later years) :? I too miss Tom and others that don't post much anymore. When someone throws an idea our way I look at the responses as different ideas or ways to accomplish the end product. Not as nit picking. Y'all take care. Dave
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:55 am

Well put, Don. I've felt that for some time now. The more members we get, the more we have to watch things. I do applaud our moderators :D

Usually when I end my feelings on things, I say "My .02". Hopefully this tells people that I know there's other ways of doing things, and this is my input.

We must start proof-reading our posts to see if our words might offend someone.

I try not to comment on things unless I've experienced something firsthand, or it's "common sense".

Again,
My .02 :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm

Several good suggestions have been made. I am guilty of making statements in jest but not providing any indication that I am merely teasing. I will work on correcting that habit. Dan

FuryIII
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FuryIII » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Dan England wrote:Several good suggestions have been made. I am guilty of making statements in jest but not providing any indication that I am merely teasing. I will work on correcting that habit. Dan

my grandpa told me something that stuck in my mind years ago. he was 95 at the time. he said "the only time a man cant fix his mistakes is when he thinks hes not makeing any."

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:49 pm

Fury: Your grandpa was a wise man. A sincere statement, not kidding on this one. Dan

Return to “Off Topic”