This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What Does It Take to be a Hero?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 pm

I have seen a lot of patriotism expressed here so I wanted to share this essay with all of you. It was written by a 8 year old, 3rd grade girl in our local school. She read it at the school's Veterans Day program. I spoke with her mother and she verified the young lady wrote it all by herself. She also gave permission to publish it here. I told her I would pass along any responses. I hope you enjoy it as much as everyone did at the Veterans Day Program. Remember - 8 years old :!: :!:

We all know Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. These have been American comic book heroes for a long time. But what is a hero? A lot of people throw that term around loosely; a hero is the guy who threw a touchdown, or hit the most home runs, or scored the most baskets in a game.

But on September 11th, 2001 all that changed. In a matter of minutes a city, and a nation, was brought to its knees and the concept of heroes and heroism was stunningly redefined. As a result of September 11th, we gained the redefinition of what it takes to be a hero. When you look at the selflessness and sacrifices that average people made in an extraordinary time, it forces you to go back and examine how heroes are supposed to act and behave. And with the problems of today, the world is in desperate need of heroes.

A hero can be almost anybody. A very ordinary human can do incredibly strong, heroic things and become a hero. Or a very ordinary human can do very ordinary things and become a hero. A hero could be a person who gives you a piece of candy or even a person who shares a toy with you. A hero is a person you can always count on to be there when you need them. A hero is a person who fights or has fought in the military, like my hero, my big brother who is in the Army.

We don’t need to look to comic book heroes for our American heroes. Human beings can be just as courageous and influential as any superhero. It just takes a sense of purpose to define a hero, a reason for them to be a hero, to do things that matter. Every person must decide for themselves who their heroes are and whether they will be someone’s hero. We won’t find heroes by looking in the stars. It is a journey every person must take by looking inside themselves, and we all must write our own destiny as heroes.

Copyright 2006, Janell Barnes, Bakersfield, MO

Happy New Year.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:49 pm

excellent

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:49 pm

That 3rd grade girl has quite a command of the English language and is a clear thinker. I could get to like her. I had worked in 2 World Trade Monday. When the disaster of the 11th occurred i was in Brooklyn at the Promanade. Apark over the highway opposite the South Street Seaport. I watched the second building fall. I still can't get over the feeling of loss.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”