This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

JD Green & Yellow CUB!!!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

JD Green & Yellow CUB!!!

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:43 pm

Did any of you NY folks just purchase or sell a Cub painted JD Green & Yellow? I just saw one on a trailer parked in a Wendy's parking lot. Trailer was pulled by a Dodge pickup sporting NY plates. Looked sorta cute, if you're into that sort of thing. Sorry, no pics, I didn't have my camera! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:15 pm

There was one on e-bay a few years ago. But it was sold in a basket!

It's a cruel thing to do to a cub............................ :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:32 am

i think someone should paint one of those johnny pops IH red for pay back :!:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:39 pm

my dad is always threaten to paint my neighbor's 20 something green tractors IH red

:lol:
Image On To Bigger Things

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:41 pm

There was a picture of a Farmall M painted JD green on a site a couple years ago. It had a sign that read "John Deere's ideal tractor". They said it was at a JD show, and almost caused a fight. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:57 am

I'm getting ready to re paint mine this summer and y'all are starting to give me ideas :shock: :shock: PC police might not care for it but its mine and I kinda like starting contraversy (sp) but not actual fights. Got a lotta thinking to do. We'll see. Have a good year y'all. Dave
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:29 am

We don't know the owners intent. Could be as innocence as he just like yellow and green? Could be he was confused :?. Could be a Bronx cheer :P then :x . But, I have noticed that whenever a lover of old iron needs help, color does not seem to matter :) orange, green, red, yellow and gray are all helping :D . Some tractors did not fulfil the needs of farmer well and did not last very long in the market place. Others did very well and lasted a long time. AC came up with rubber tires. JD came up with roll bars, ergnomic design, fuel efficiency (M and 60 were the most fuel efficient as tested by U of Ne tactor test lab). Ford and Ferguson made the three point hitch popular (8N and 9N was very popular in spite of its fuel inefficiency). IH and Farmall well I don't have to say anything here, we all know that they are among the easiest to repair and rebuild. There are excellent points about nearly every popular tractor made. And each has its flaws. E.G. I would not buy a JDB if I lived in hilly MO. When I decided to offer Little Indy a home in return for mowing, light towing, and a bit of plowing and disking he fit right in. This lead me to rescue Big Red and finally Little Red my 140. They fulfil my needs very well. If someone in a flatter part of the state wants to have a green tractor on his field, so be it. If Roger Welch is addicted to orange, well what should I say, except to say hello to Linda?

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 pm

Little Indy wrote:JD came up with roll bars, ergnomic design, fuel efficiency (M and 60 were the most fuel efficient as tested by U of Ne tactor test lab).

Don't know where that fuel efficiency story came from. The JD M tested at 11.12 horsepower hours per gallon, the 60 at 10.48. Wendel's book lists nearly 150 tractors with higher economy than the M. Nearly 90 more fell between the M and the 60. The highest listed is the Oliver 1800 at 13.18. This is just looking at the gasoline fueled tests.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:33 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Little Indy wrote:JD came up with roll bars, ergnomic design, fuel efficiency (M and 60 were the most fuel efficient as tested by U of Ne tactor test lab).

Don't know where that fuel efficiency story came from. The JD M tested at 11.12 horsepower hours per gallon, the 60 at 10.48. Wendel's book lists nearly 150 tractors with higher economy than the M. Nearly 90 more fell between the M and the 60. The highest listed is the Oliver 1800 at 13.18. This is just looking at the gasoline fueled tests.

Ergonomic design! John Deere!!! I guess whoever thought of that never had to operate an old 2 cylinder with a loader in close quarters. :( :( :( I can't think of any way they could have been worse.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Little Indy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Sometime in the sixties JD hired Janet Travel MD to watch framers work while on their tractors. She is rather famous as one of the doctors caring for John Kennedy for her studies on the myofacial pain syndrome. And her program of treatment by stretch exercises for same. She was interested in ergonomics before most of us. After watching farmers work while on tractors, she went to their chief designer and made suggestions as to certain design changes that would place the farmers body in a more comfortable position while working. Apparently the suggstion were adopted and the design of JD improved. Having use a JD B in my teens I agree the old JD needed improvement. Never rode a new one. Don't know how much they were improved.

Richard

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:00 pm

Little Indy wrote:Sometime in the sixties JD hired Janet Travel MD to watch framers work while on their tractors. She is rather famous as one of the doctors caring for John Kennedy for her studies on the myofacial pain syndrome. And her program of treatment by stretch exercises for same. She was interested in ergonomics before most of us. After watching farmers work while on tractors, she went to their chief designer and made suggestions as to certain design changes that would place the farmers body in a more comfortable position while working. Apparently the suggstion were adopted and the design of JD improved. Having use a JD B in my teens I agree the old JD needed improvement. Never rode a new one. Don't know how much they were improved.

Richard

Richard,

I don't know why it would take a specially trained famous doctor to see how stupid the earlier design was!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Let's see now: The loader tractor required all the strength of a man and a boy just to steer it while it was moving. That required 3 hands. Maybe 4 hands if the tractor wasn't moving. Then another hand reserved for the hand clutch. Another hand to shift to neutral so the clutch could be engaged to power the non-live hydraulics. Another hand for the hydraulic lever on the left behind the operator that only worked when the other hand was on the clutch 4 feet away.

I nearly forgot the sliding gear transmission that required the gears to be relaxed before they would shift at all.

Comfort had nothing to do with it! It was nearly impossible under the best of conditions... especially after a day or two when the pulley brake wore out.

A trained ape could have designed better! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Well now I hate to admitt this but I recently bought a JD 5400 ( 60HP ) loader tractor :o . Apparently they did some serious ergonomic sudies as I've never driven anything more comfortable and easy to operate! Almost all the controls (except the steering wheel) can be operated with my arms resting on the seat armrests. Nothing sticks up between your legs. Forward and reverse are effortless with a slight movment of the rist. Hydraulic brakes make it stop like a car. Steering, even with a load in the bucket, can be had with finger tips. One can get on from both sides as the joystick loader control is neatly tucked away. Seat has many adjustments including adjustment for the weight of the operator. OH and one other important factor-it was made in the USA!!!

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Little Indy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 am

This brings up one of my favoriate gripes; engineers who don't repair what they design. Years ago while visiting my sister in the Big Easy, her car needed a new fuel pump. No transportation unless we got it fixed. The auto parts store nearby had the part. The car (Japanese) had a transverse engine. The fuel pump could have been put between the engine and the radiator. But it was located between the engine and the firewall. No problem if my sister just happened to have an hydrolic hoist. So I jacked up the front end and cribed some lumber under the bumper. I did get the car fixed. I also wished a life filled of lawyers for the engineer-designer.

Richard

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:13 am

Little Indy wrote:The fuel pump could have been put between the engine and the radiator.
That probably would have failed a crashworthiness test on fuel spillage.

Return to “Off Topic”