This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some Quotes you Just Gotta Love!!!!!!

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Some Quotes you Just Gotta Love!!!!!!

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:31 pm

An ammendment to the current bill before the Senate, regarding the legal rights of due process of enemy combatants, specifically sought to deny them the right to the writ of habeas corpus. Now, for those of you who are not familiar enough with the half-Latin mumbo Jumbo of legalese, this means the right of an imprisoned person to go before a judge and ask why he is being imprisoned, and have the judge give him good reason, or release him. A simple thing......really, in the case of an enemy combatant, all a judge would have to say is "You are being held as an enemy combatant until such time as we can determine the role that you played in such combatant situation"....end of story. It is the simple right of an imprisoned person to know why they are being imprisoned.

This right has been guaranteed to all as a part of English Common Law the world over since the Magna Charta. (1215).

Now, this ammendment met with a bit of resistance in the person of Republican Senator Arlen Spector (PA) (of whom I am something of an admirer, I'll admit). This is what he had to say about it:

"I'm not going to support a bill that's blatantly unconstitutional ... that suspends a right that goes back to [the Magna Carta in] 1215." He added, "I'd be willing, in the interest of party loyalty, to turn the clock back 500 years, but 800 years goes too far."

It's good to know we all have our limits, isn't it...... :D :D :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Off Topic”