This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Chicken Or The Egg???

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

The Chicken Or The Egg???

Postby Mag Man » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 am

I have a small pond the I dug at the bottom of two hills last year with the loader on my H its primarily a run off pond from water that comes under the road from the fields and from my moms celular run off also. This year because of the rain it has not gone dry yet. There is no spring just ground table and rain. Well i went down to look today and there are two distinct different size minnows swimming around really small ones and ones that are about 2 to 3 weeks older probably. Where did they come from? There has been an occasional blue hearing crane there. and there are frogs and tadpoles also. No one could have stroked them without me knowing and they are to small for anyone to have put there.
JON

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Jon. I have friends with ponds and they all say that the birds bring eggs and somehow deposite them into the water. Probably from eating fish with eggs and then digesting them at the new location. I'm sure someone will jump in later with a more possitive answer :D

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:21 pm

Jon:

Rick as usual is pretty much on the money..

My pond is primarily fed by run-off, although there are numerous small springs around and in.. but not enough to completely fill the pond. Evaporation is a big problem, but this year with all the rain, my pond is a happy place, especially with the new 1/2 hp pump in the fountain.

Chubb (this is a UK site, but applies to North America also, although the fish may not exceed 1 lb in small lakes. In ponds, they may grow to 1/2 lb depending on pond size and habitat], and other minnow type fish are carried by ducks, geese, herons and other water fowl which visit water hole to water hole. I found that after the first winter, there were small fry in my pond. Surprisingly some of the fry ended up being Brookies...

Along with the Brookies (Brown or Speckled) and the Rainbow Trout that are stocked in my pond, we have noticed a fair amount of diversity in the aquatic life in the pond.. it has become a real diversified eco-system. We also learned that captive Brook Trout do spawn.. we have had at least 3 spawns.. in the last 4 years.. but the Rainbows do not (we have an irridation program for Rainbow's as they are not native and escape is a big concern for the government).

So that is probably how you have ended up with these minnows. If you want to find out what they are, you may have to wait a few years for them to make adult hood if they are anything aside from Chubb. Any good feed store has the equivalent to our Corey #2, 3, 4 and 5 fish meal.. it is inexpensive and can be interesting to see what happens..

Here is an interesting site on Ponds... How to Create a Wildlife Pond In Your Garden.. these are mostly smallish though..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:13 pm

Fish eggs are sticky and travel on bird legs/feet among watering holes.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:34 pm

I dug my pond about 15 years ago and I stocked it with blue gill and smallmouth bass. And one white amur (grass carp) These are the only fish I ever see in the pond, but I suppose other species are in there. I have seen many mussels, though. Bullfrogs and the green frogs. Even turtles! I don't go down there as much as I used to. Watching a pond grow is amazing. It's a complete ecosystem. I guess the Canadian geese get a pretty good meal out of there when they migrate. I see those herons in there, too. Usually they're alone, though. I bet that I've caught the grass carp 3-4 times down through the years. He's at least 2 ft. long! I haven't seen him this year. I go to the feed store and buy the 50 lb bag of floating fish food for about $15.00. It lasts me for a couple of years.

If I remember accurately, you need about 6-30 times the ratio of water shed to the area of your pond for proper filling. My pond still drops about 2 ft. each year. Last fall I dug a 15 ft. deep hole at the base of the dam and buried a culvert pipe vertically, backfilling with gravel. My intention is to drop a sump pump down there and add water to the pond during late summer when the level drops. I'd better get on that. I think I'll take the dogs down for a swim later. I just hope I don't get dog bit. :oops:

Larry
The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation- Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Off Topic”