This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

EBay Feedback Question (non-tractor sale!) (kinda long!)

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

EBay Feedback Question (non-tractor sale!) (kinda long!)

Postby Hengy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi there all...

I know that quite a few members of this forum buy and sell items frequently on EBay, so I thought I would tap your collective knowledge on an issue.

My wife is an EBayer and has recently made a couple of purchases there. She ALWAYS pays for the item almost IMMEDIATELY after the auction ends and is very courteous to sellers on the site. Recently, she purchased an item and paid within 5 minutes of the end of the auction. The seller then waited 2 weeks to even ship the item despite repeated private messages to the seller. The seller did not even respond to the message that she sent him/her. Once the item was received, it was in good shape and exactly as advertised, so she has no qualms about that, but she was quite perturbed at how long it took to ship the item to her...especially when she paid so quickly.

Here is the dilemma...She would like to leave either a neutral feedback or a negative feedback for this seller, but she is obviously afraid of reprocussions (sp?) as in a negative feedback in return. What is the etiquette for leaving feedback? Who should be the one to do it first. My humble opinion is that the seller should be first because once the bidding has ended and the buyer has paid for the item, their job is done...They are out the money until the item is received in a timely fashion.

My wife has requested that the sellers in this case leave feedback for her since her part of the transaction is completed. I am sure that the seller suspects that she is about to leave negative feedback or neutral feedback and they have not left their feedback for her (in over a week since the item was received)...

I can almost guarantee you that she will get a negative feedback if she leaves negative feedback despite contacting the seller numerous times regarding shipment status and now feedback status... This is not fair in my opinion because she did everything that she was supposed to and did it quickly...

What are the thoughts from the collective wisdom on this one??

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing your thoughts........

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:16 pm

what she wants to do depends on how storungsly she feels aobut it. I would not leave a negative though, maybe a neutral at worst. @ weeks is longer than you normally see from Ebay, but I see that long a time frequently form companies I order form that have ntohign to do with Ebay. Many sellers only ship once a week, and some, unfortunately, don't have the items in stock they sell and have to wait for it to come after they order it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Leave + feedback, but note in the remarks that shipping was somewhat sluggish, based on immediate payment. Remember, some people have several items for sale at any given time and some stuff can fall through the cracks. Also, circumstances beyoned the seller's control, and that you are not aware of, may have contributed to the slow shipping time. Take a look at the seller's feedback and see if other buyers have had a similar experience and note the type of feedback the seller left for them. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Feedback, Feedback. Everybody is afraid to make the first move. I have been buying on eBay for over 6 years and here is how I do it now. I do not leave any feedback until I get feedback first from the seller.

If I dont get a feedback from the seller I dont leave one and just forget about it. In My opinion the seller should give the first feedback because he was first to be paid by the buyers obligation.

I have only left 1-negative out of about 200 transactions knowing that I would probably get a neg back in retaliation but I did not care because I thought it was justified. Sure enough the "Crooked" seller retaliated with a negative but she was booted off eBay shortly afterwards.
Then came Bronson

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I lean towards Bud's response, because your wife ultimately did get what she promptly paid for. But in addition to slow shipping, I would note poor communications.

And where is that Cub :?: :?: :?: Is it in your garage :?: :?: :?:

:twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:50 pm

I guess it depends on what expectations one has in buying stuff on ebay.

I've made 200+ transactions on ebay and I've never left a negative feedback. I've had people that didn't pay me, heavy items that had been shipped to me broken, after being thrown loose in a box, etc. But that's an exception to the rule. Most people are like me or you. We want to buy or sell something "as advertised", and don't mind paying for it. And I certainly don't mind collecting the money! 8)

Usually a seller will state how many business days it will take to ship the item. I try to ship in 1 business day. And people are usually surprised how fast their part is received. But on the same token, I've shipped less than a 2 hour drive from home and it took the Post Office 28 days to get it there! :roll: The guy kept emailing me and finally I told him that if he doesn't get the item, I would refund his money. He received it 2 days later.

The way I feel about it, when it comes right down to it, if a person doesn't want the item he bid on, the heck with him. I don't want him to have it! If the person reneges on purchases often, they won't be allowed to participate.

Nowadays, sellers won't give positive feedback until the buyer does it first. I don't think that's right, but that's what I've seen. I've even mentioned it in the feedback I've given them.

But your wife would not have felt the way she does if only the seller had communicated with her. That's really important to most people.

My 2 cents.

Larry
The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation- Henry David Thoreau

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Two weeks can be nerve wracking, but it isn't terribly long, I have had ebay purchases take a couple of weeks before, sometimes I will get an apology from the seller stating the reason, sometimes it is a personal problem such as an illness or death in the family.
I too believe that an ebay seller has an obligation to leave feedback as soon as your end of the deal is done, but many of them do not leave feedback until you do, whatcha gonna do?
I would not leave feedback myself unless the item was not as described, never shipped, or very long time in shipping with no explaination.
I can forgive a lot if the seller keeps me informed of any problems and lets me know they are doing there best, sounds like poor communications from this seller.
How are the feedbacks on this seller looking now? people usually note in the comments if shipping was fast or slow.
In this case I might go neutral, just because of the lack of response to inquiries, not because of the two weeks alone.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Mike:

I am by no means an expert on eBay. I believe that the seller has the obligation to initiate feedback, but I do not always wait. There are a few such as beyertractor who deal almost exclusively on eBay, and feedback for them is very important. Chuck and Rogene DO NOT leave feedback until they have received feedback first. It allows them to try to respond to whatever problems might occur. I have always had great dealings with them and never had a problem.. they have GREAT Manuals!

Others can be difficult to deal with, and sometimes sutff happens. An example.. I bought a McCormick-Deering Mower Knife Sharpener from a seller on eBay. He shipped it to me stuffed in a box no wrapping nada.. didn't care.. and the only thing wrong with it was a bent pin. After talking to him, I still left good feedback, but noted that packaging could have been a darn sight better.. but still positive. The next sharpener I bought, I got from a couple who DID EVERYTHING RIGHT.. and I mean you could not have asked for more care and concern in packaging than this couple provided for me. Bubble wrap, peanuts and everything just tickety-boo. Unfortunately, USPS and Canada Post somehow MANAGED TO BREAK IT :!: :!: The Knife Frame was broken. The packaging was perfect.. and the seller tried like the dickens to get it replaced for me.. but no go. They still got top flight feedback, because they took the time to care.

Sometimes things in life happen. In this case, I would definitely leave positive feedback because everything else was ok and as advertised. The only thing you could do is say something like, communications and shipping time could be better.. but I would not do anything more serious than that.. and leave it as positive.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Thank you everyone for your "Feedback on Feedback" :shock: :lol:

I guess my wife's epectations have been set too high. She has purchased German Clothing and other items directly from Germany, and they were shipped and arrived in far less time than these two items from the US... That is unfortunate, but I am finding that it is a fact of life, I guess!

Some really GREAT information from you guys, though. I appreciate it!

Thanks...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

P.S. - Don... not yet, but I am still very hopeful that it will be soon!!! :lol: :wink:
Image Image

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:48 pm

I had a situation where I paid for an item on the day of auction; but the item did not arrive. After two weeks I sent eMail to seller who quickly replied and informed me that the transaction fell through the cracks. She sent the item and refunded my money. I gave her a very positve feedback and sent her refund to the Red Cross for the folks in New Orleans in her name.

Most people are good and honest. but we all make mistakes. When I buy on eBay I check the feedback of the seller. In this case I would mention poor communication and slow shipping. Future sellers will get the idea.

One can also contact the people who run eBay. If too many people contcy about no shipping or very slow dhipping they can light fire under the seller themselves.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:43 pm

I've only bought and never sold on Ebay. Have bought over 100 as of now. I recently did post a neg reply. The guy was selling anditem, I did a Buy IT Now, paid right away. A day os so later, got a email from him saying the email address he listed with paypal was wrong and asked me to resubmitt the payment. I then spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with the folks at paypal trying to confirm this and then did repay. Then after several days, got a emaii from the seller stating his supplier could not furnish him with the item I had already paid for. All my money was refunded to paypal but I really felt screwed around. Felt not bad at all about his red mark. Of course, he then sent several requests asking me to resind my comment. Never replied to them and I feel other should read my comment and decide for themselves if they want to risk going through what I did.

As far as fearing that he would leave negative for me, though I wouldn't want a red mark, as a buyer only, I can't see how it's would hurt me. Hey, if I win a bid and pay, they can't refuse a sale.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:12 pm

Mike,

I too agree with Cub-bud. I have never had to leave or have I ever been left with a negative feedback. I almost had to one time, but didn't because I couldn't.

I figure as long as I do recieve the item they way it was described in the discription I really can't complain. (But I do know how your wife feels)

In the past several items I have purchased off of Ebay, I have even taken the next step by not even purchasing the item unless they offer pay-pal. I feel at least if there is something not up to snuff, I have some protection and once time I did have to contact Pay-pal and after a very short investigation they jerked my money out of their account and put it back into mine. After I recieved my money back I went to place negative feedback, Ebay had already pulled all their current auctions and must have closed out their account too, they had several other legit complaints along with mine and shut them down.

When I sell something on Ebay and as soon as I receive the money I will quickly go to my buyers feedback and leave positive feedback for them and they always have done the same for me as soon as the item is recieved.

As like what was already said, someone has to make the first move and leave feedback and since the money/funds was sent in "good faith" in a timely matter then that item should be sent with that same consideration.

Just my thoughts AND the way I do business, both buying and selling.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:27 am

Thanks again for all of the replies here. It is funny, my wife did exactly as you guys suggested... BUT BEFORE I FORWARDED HER A LINK TO THIS THREAD... She is one smart cookie, my wife is!!! :lol:

NOW IF SHE WOULD JUST RELEASE THE PURSE STRINGS A LITTLE BIT SO I CAN GET THAT CUB! :shock: :shock: :twisted: :roll: :D :lol: :lol:
Image Image

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:34 am

I believe that the buyer should leave feed back first then as a seller I leave feed back.
I used to leave feed back as soon as I received payment till a buyer left
a + feedback that was not + in words.
I sent the item to him & he said it was not what he was looking for &
wanted his money back NO WAY.

As for paypal I don't any more PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As a payee it might be OK AS A SELLER NO WAY.
Paypal has been known to take money back from you after you have shipped the item & you are screwed because you loose both money and the item.

In the case listed here I would leave + feedback with a note as to not so timely shipping & poor communication.

Here is the system I started using.

Scale A+,A
B+ B
C+ C

Feed back reads as follows as a buyer

description A shipping A communication C overall A
As a seller
Payment A+ communication A overall A+
Covers all bases & most people under stand it as the standard marking
style.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:24 pm

I have had this happen also either leave pos and say shipping was slow. or just forget it. Maybe they had a problem with a pc or something give them the benifit of the doubt. Or maybe they just are not good sellers like the rest of us. I had to leave my first neg feed back after 6 years on ebay the other day. I gave the people about 6 different chances to make it right. They had already left me my pos. i bought an item paid for it . Then a week or more later I bought a second item and paid another week went by and I rec both items in the same box caps broke and mags all mared up becuase they did not pack corectly. I said you should refund my shipping on the first item seems how you held it without my knowledge while you waited to see if I won the sec. After about 6 very polighly emails they basically said they would rather have there first neg then send me back my ship. So I waited another week to see if they would change there mind and they diod not so I finally left a neg. But I think they were right it does not seem to make that much difference in there selling.
JON