This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help with writing a personal check

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
tractorfan1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need help with writing a personal check

Postby tractorfan1 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:46 am

I just ordered a chrome stack for my Super M and it say's I need to make out the check in US fund's. I live in canada, how do I write a check in US fund's? Help is very much appreciated. :wink:

TF1
Brett (aka Tractorfan1)
http://tractorfan1.tripod.com
1947 Cub, 1948 Cub, 1948 H, 1952 Super M, 1966 806, 1983 Cub Cadet 182, 1974 Cub Cadet 76. Looking for a 1206!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:04 am

I think the easiest thing to do would be to use an international money order through the postal system. It's as good (or better) than a check.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:41 am

Phone in the order and give the vender a credit or debit card number.

Eugene

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:41 am

BD, I just bought an item from a canadian seller and his payment requirements were, International money order or Cashiers checks accepted But (NO U.S. Postal Money Orders) will be accepted. I still have not figured the reason for that.
Then came Bronson

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:55 pm

Not sure if you even can write it it US funds, but here is the exchange rate page. It's usually 2 days behind though.

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/conve ... it=Convert

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:19 pm

Brett and all:

Here is the skinny, and most Amateur Radio Ops know what a Green Stamp an IRC is as well as what an IMO or a Pink USMO is... and which can be used when and how. It comes with the territory. :roll: :shock: :? :? :?

For this exchange, Brett, the best and only way is to send an International Postal Money Order available at Canada Post. I do it all the time... It is recognized and is cashable and is ALWAYS available in the currency of the country to which it is being sent.

Here is a link to the info on the Cub Manual Server on How To Ship Effectively Across The Border, and includes how to Pay for stuff..... all based on the school of sometimes bitter experience...

Brett, another thing, if you do write a check, expect a minimum of a 10 to 20 day clearance cycle. It is 10 days for US cheques to clear in the US and about twice as long for cheques written on Canadian banks to clear... that is if they actually will honour them.

When I lived in LA... you don't want to know the headaches I had trying to just deposit to my own accout a cheque written on a Canadian account.

Use the Canada Post International Postal Money Order. The Internatuional Postal Union guarantees that IPMO's will be honoured in all signatory countries of which both the US and Canada are charter signatories...

US Funds is easy.. and you pay for it at the counter in Cdn funds.. so it is easier. Just bring Cash or your Debit Card... Canada Post has yet to figure out VISA and MasterCard usually don't bounce... they take cheques too.. but go figure that one..

Exchange rates fluctuate according to bank, airport currency exchange wicket etc.... even eBay/PayPal etc., vary day to day.... Canada Post and USPS can send correct echanged currency at time of purchase..

NEVER EVER give anybody your Debit number.. for international exchanges, they will need country, bank and transit codes... not worth the hassle. Vise or Mastercard is good if they accept.

JB:

The reason for that is quite simple. US Postal Money Orders are cashable ONLY in the United States. They ARE NOT negotiable outside of the US therefore are not accepted. I have returned dozens of pink PMO's over the years because of that.

The International ones are the only ones that are negotiable outside of the US.

Them is basically the reasons... I don't make it up.. I just deal with it...

Now, don't get me started on UPS and Customs declarations ok :!: :roll: :oops: :roll: :shock: :roll: :cry: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:46 pm

Quote: Rudi, JB:
The reason for that is quite simple. US Postal Money Orders are cashable ONLY in the United States. They ARE NOT negotiable outside of the US therefore are not accepted. I have returned dozens of pink PMO's over the years because of that.
The International ones are the only ones that are negotiable outside of the US.

:shock: I bought an international M/O at a local grocery store and sent it. Then Dammit it came back 4-days later saying I owed 24-cents more postage cause it was crossing an international border. I have sent envelopes to Canada before with regular first class postage and it never came back. Although it was a while ago so maybe new postage laws have come into effect. :?: I am going to avoid any more dealings with Canadian sellers. To much of a hassle and time involved. :o
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:38 pm

JB:

It stands to reason that it will cost a bit more to send a letter to Canada than to another State. It costs more to send to Europe as well or anyplace else for that matter.

It costs me $0.51Cdn to send a letter to anywhere in Canada provided it doesn't weigh more than what 30 grams... that would be an envelope and two pieces of paper... To send the same thing to the US, it costs me $0.85Cdn.

So why would the USPS charge the same for mail within the US that it would for outside? Makes no sense.. at least not to me..

Same thing with Money Orders.... that is the regulations set down by the United States Postal Service... not Canada... If someone is at fault for the confusion between USMO's and IPMO's, then it is the USPS.. and they should be held responsible.. not Canadians. If they say it is not negotiable outside the US.. it is their policy. Why should someone outside the US accept something that is uncashable...???? The rationale there escapes me..

I bought an international M/O at a local grocery store and sent it. Then Dammit it came back 4-days later saying I owed 24-cents more postage cause it was crossing an international border.

The root cause of that problem to me would lie with the clerk who sold you the stamp. If they are not clued in enough to do their job properly - in otherwords sell you the correct stamp for the correct destination, that is their fault, no one elses..

To refuse to do business with Canadians because of US regulations or the inability of a US clerk in some store to sell you the correct stamp and then to penalize Canadians because of it, is not only unfair it is not understandable.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:55 pm

:lol: Rudi, Dont miss understand what I said. I am not penalizing Canadians or anybody else except that maybe sellers should mention to ad extra postage from certain locals. When I said I think I will quit buying from canadian sellers I did not mean it was any fault of theres I meant just what I posted, It aint worth the extra time and hassle when I can buy from the States and avoid all that balogny.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:15 am

JB:

Not misunderstanding.. and I kind of understand.

But you know what?

In the greater scheme of things, all this shall pass as it is just but a mere sting of an insignficant insect.. and bothers one not at all the next day. It is like going to a movie you have been wanting to see and end up disappointed cause it wasn't what you expected it to be. Chalk it up to a lesson learned..

Eitherway.. I still need stuff for me cubs and me cub projects and I will buy them from wherever I find em.. and I may squawk a bit over the PITA factor.. but I still get a lot of enjoyment out of my Cubs.... and my friends and that is all that really matters...

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:10 am

johnbron wrote:Quote: Rudi, JB:
The reason for that is quite simple. US Postal Money Orders are cashable ONLY in the United States. They ARE NOT negotiable outside of the US therefore are not accepted.
The USPO sell international money orders that are negotiable in most countries in the world, but you have to ask for them. I have used them with no problmes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:38 am

Right on John. I have used international money orders from the post office several time with no problems.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:00 pm

Another suggestion.

Go to your local bank and ask for a certified check in US dollars.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:37 pm

I am just going to repeat this link:

How To Ship Effectively Across The Border.

This about sums it up.

Here are the relevant passages..

The Right Way to Pay for Goods Purchased in the US

Always send International Money Orders in US Funds when purchasing from a US source.
Always send either a Certified Cheque or a Certified Bank Draft in US funds in lieu of an International Money Order.
Always be courteous to your buyer/seller and if in doubt send an email to clarify.

The Wrong Way to Pay for Goods Purchased in the US

Never send a personal check in Canadian funds to a US source. in fact : -
Never send a personal check period.

The Right Way to Pay for Goods Purchased in the Canada

Always send International Money Orders in either US or Canadian funds when buying from a Canadian Source.
Always be courteous to your buyer/seller and if in doubt send an email to clarify.

The Wrong Way to Pay for Goods Purchased in the Canada

Never send the Green Stripe US Postal Money Order. It is not for use outside of the US and cannot be redeemed in Canada. By using the Green Stripe PMO, wait times will be considerably increased, and additional charges may be applied by the receiver in Canada.

Some refer to the Green Stipe as the Pink PMO as well.. cannot remember why..

John:

johnbron wrote:
Quote: Rudi, JB:
The reason for that is quite simple. US Postal Money Orders are cashable ONLY in the United States. They ARE NOT negotiable outside of the US therefore are not accepted.
The USPO sell international money orders that are negotiable in most countries in the world, but you have to ask for them. I have used them with no problmes.

That is exactly what I was refering to... in the previous posts..... get an International Postal Money Order or an IPMO.. makes life easy..
:shock: :arrow: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:05 pm

Rudi and others
The regular "green" US Postal Money Order is only good in the US. The International Postal Money Order available from US Post Offices is "pink" and is good in most countries, with some exceptions. The green one cost $.90, the last "pink " one I bought was $3.85. A 1 ounce letter airmailed to Canada is $.63.

Return to “Off Topic”