This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

E-Pay

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

E-Pay

Postby Hengy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:31 pm

Hey there all!

I have bid on a couple of tractors up Wisconsin way and have not won a single one of them...probably because I am too cheap (poor) to bid high enough on them.

The question I have is that I seem to get an e-mail almost every time within a week after the item ends asking me if I am still interested in the item. A second chance offer does not show up on my ebay, but it seems that the person is trying to "go around" ebay to sell it.

Because I am a "new" user of Ebay, until recently, I was not able to send a message to a seller through their system. Since I have purchased a couple of items, I can now do that, and have on the most recent item.

My question is this... is this a Spoof, or is it just someone trying to "skirt the system" on me...

Just wondering!

Thanks!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Mike,

The answer is in contacting the seller directly through eBay. If the second chance offer is legit, the seller will confirm. If not, forward the email to spoof@ebay.com .
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:08 pm

Mike,

I've been selling and buying on Ebay since 1997 and I have learned that they definitely don't like their members skirting the system. They lose their commission if the sale is made privately.

If somebody is legitmately contacting you to arrange a private sale, I guess you have to decide if you want to play by Ebay's rules or not. If you decide to go through with a deal, just make sure you never pay with anything but cash on the day you pick the tractor up. If somebody offers you a deal with no official Second Chance Offer via Ebay and then asks for payment via Western Union, Money Order, or even PayPal, I'd be very cautious.

Good luck.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:39 pm

99% of those second chance offers are a scam. Like the fellows said, unless it comes thru e-bay from the original seller it's probably fake.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Off Topic”