This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

J B Weld question

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

J B Weld question

Postby Dan Stuckey » Tue May 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Big boo boo today. Dropped my Stihl from up 20 feet in a tree. The gas tank now has a small, thin crack. This tank is a hard plastic and molded into the main handle. Would JB Weld handle this type of repair. I can pry apart the crack a bit to force some of the weld into it. And don't drop you saw, called the dealer about a new piece and wow, 150 bucks, just for the part, and I install it. Thanks for you help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue May 23, 2006 4:41 pm

I don't know whether JB Weld will work. My brother-in-law sells and repairs chain saws, tillers, lawn mowers. He often takes a trade-in and makes repairs to resell if possible. Some aren't worth investing money in so he sells used parts. I would suggest that you try saw repair shops and maybe get a good used tank at a reasonable price. Dan

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 pm

I don't think JBWeld will work. The plastic tank and JBWeld will not flex at the same rate - it will seperate or crack. Also, JBWeld will not 'melt' the plastic and create a unified bond with the tank. There is the possibility of additional damage to the tank that isn't obviously visible.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 23, 2006 8:52 pm

Jb wled doesn't stick to the type plastic gas tanks are made form. You can get a plastic welding kit form places like harbr freight, but my suggestion would be try a saw shop for a used one, or a new one. You don't want the surprise of a leak and fire.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Tue May 23, 2006 9:02 pm

Which stihl do you have?? Used parts are about half the cost of new. Dave.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 pm

Hey Grump,
See your from Bedford. I'm in Altoona but spend thursday through sunday in Bedford at Friendship Village. Have a seasonal site there.

As to the chainsaw, I have a 028 WB model. Have been checking Ebay and can get parts there pretty cheap. Passed up one last night that went for 35 or something like that. Did try the JB Weld for grins to see how it works. Waiting for it to cure for another day. Figured I had nothing to lose. Our dealer here did say around fall he usually gets stocked up on junk saws and might have one there. He too said he waould have a hard time buying a new tank at that price.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 am

It sure is a small world, my wife and I camp at Friendship Village often. Moving another Cub to the new place tomorrow, sounds like we need to have a mini-Cubfest!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Thu May 25, 2006 10:57 am

Carl,
Next trip to FV, look me up. I'm in the new section, site 218 on the hill. A tan Park Model with "Stuckey" on the light post. We're there most weeks from thurs to sun. Will be either a silver f-150 or a Lexus suv in the drive if we're there. If you don't see us, ask either campers beside us and they usually know our where abouts.

Dan

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Thu May 25, 2006 11:28 am

Chances are it is a nylon material. You can weld it with a soldering iron with a 1/8 wide flat tip . Since it is not glass filled nylon like radiatior end tanks it is a pretty easy fix. Be sure to heat the iron up a hot a possible, we injection mold nylon, barrel temp. of 450F When you weld be sure to start pushing material from uncracked area to crack, This will be giving you material to keep pushing ahead, make small pushes of material over and into the crack about 1/16 -1/8" intervals You will be moving over the crack.
. If you have an old tank laying around you can cut small thin strips to use as a welding rod ,for added material. When you get done it should look like a weld similar to steel, I have done numerous fixes , being in the prototype buisness we make changes to plastic parts regularly. Practice on a scrap piece of plastic to get the hang of how the material flows,when you start.
PWL
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu May 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Dan

I have used a product called Sealall.It is in a yellow and red tub usually hanging on a card packet.I have used it on gas tanks on cars many times,I am not sure it will wok on plastic.But it will tell you on the package.You can pick it up at an auto parts store.
8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Return to “Off Topic”