This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Adding insult to injury

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Adding insult to injury

Postby ljw » Sun May 07, 2006 7:37 am

I recieved my Exxon Mobil credit card bill yesterday. Evidently I paid last months bill a little late so they stuck a $15.00 late fee on me. They give you exactly 3 weeks to pay it and if pay through the internet you have to pay a week before it's due. Sometimes I make a little pile on my desk and pay bills all at once. I must have procrastinated 1-2 days too long. Besides the late fee, they charged $22.74% interest. I believe in a free market, but they must really be stupid. Not ignorant, stupid. I'm going to cancel my card, and start going to Speedway and use my debit card. I should have been doing this all, along but I like to keep track of the gas I use.
During these times of high gas prices and all that's going on, I think the executives are saying, "What can we do as an oil company to let the customer know that we feel his pain? I know, we'll stick him with a late fee! That will warm the cockles of his heart!" When I call to cancel the card I'll probably be speaking to someone who can barely understand english and doesn't even have to pretend that he cares. Oh well, I just had to vent. Larry

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun May 07, 2006 8:23 am

I cancelled my Exxon credit card shortly after Exxon refused to take responsibility for the Exxon Valdez oil spill. I did it with a letter to the president of the company. I've never regretted that decision.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun May 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Larry,

Call the credit card company. Ask them to remove the late fee and reduce your interest rate to the previous level or lower. If the customer service rep isn't willing, speak to a supervisor. If they cooperate, pay off the account AFTER you see the charges reversed. If they don't cooperate, pay off the account immediately and never use this credit card again.

No matter what the outcome of this is, DO NOT close the account. You'll reduce your FICO score by eradicating this portion of your credit history. Your FICO score is what determines your credit worthiness, interest rates, insurance rates, and (increasingly so) employability.

BTW, AAA offers a VISA card that pays a 5% rebate on gasoline purchases. Shop around for the best credit cards!

Carl
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Sun May 07, 2006 6:12 pm

Carl, that is excellent advice. I'll do exactly like you said. I have heard that it hurts your credit standing when a person closes an account in this fashion, i.e., closing in protest to make a statement. Can you tell me why? It seems like if the account is paid in full there should be no reprecussions. Thanks, Larry

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun May 07, 2006 7:50 pm

Larry wrote:
Can you tell me why? It seems like if the account is paid in full there should be no reprecussions. Thanks, Larry

Maybe these link will help:

http://www.smartfinancetips.com/creditscorerepair.php?keyword=Fico%20score%20ofCS2&gclid=COmj_r3C54QCFQqLCwodiWuojw

http://www.smartfinancetips.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun May 07, 2006 7:52 pm

It hurts your credit rating because when you cancel a credit card, it erases that portion of your good credit history. If it's a long standing account, that long history vanishes when it's an account in good standing.

Even though their name is plastered all over the card and billing papers, Exxon/Mobile isn't to blame for this, the bank issueing the credit card is. Exxon only pays the bank for their logo on the card and the bank controls everything else. Look closely and you'll find CitiBank or MBNA or USBank or some other big money grabber's name as the card issuerer. This bank and your state determine the credit card rules.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Thu May 11, 2006 8:28 am

Carl, thanks for putting things in the proper perspective. I did some checking and found out that I hadn't paid last months bill. I'm like the kid in the Family Circus cartoon. On my way back from the mailbox prior to delivering the mail to the house, I visit the garage, barn, dogs, cats, etc., etc., etc. I've found mail on my workbench months old. From now on I'm going to reform! Straight to the mailbox. Straight back to the house! Yeah, right! :roll:
It is interesting to note that I blamed "big oil" for my woes until you pointed out some enlightening facts. I may still blame "big oil" to a certain degree, it makes me feel good. :oops: But it's a very good example of how shooting from the hip is very seldom accurate.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu May 11, 2006 12:40 pm

Larry,

Philosophically speaking (and we all know how I love to do that....), one has to appreciate the workings of Exxon, and its value to the US economy.

With a trade deficit that will surpass $1 trillion in 2007 (a number that is beyond my comprehension), Exxon is one example of a very few US corporations that have woven themselves throughout the fabric of the global economy.

They make a lot of money from a lot of countries, not just US consumers. In short, they are an equal-opportunity exploiter. What is significant about Exxon, however, is that they return most of the profits to the US economy in one way or another, and very few corporations are in a position to do that.

It may be true that the people who are on the receiving end of this profit are those who "hoard" money, and do not pump it into the economy directly, where it would do the most good, but, as a rule, they are investors, keeping other businesses in venture capital. So, in this way, they do some good.

Our economy is most bizzarre, we have a tremendous trade deficit--the largest on earth, and we are also the largest debtor nation, and yet, we claim a strong economy in that it continues to grow.....

From this perspective, anything that brings money into the country, instead of taking it out is a substantial help, and is part of the workings of how the economy stays afloat, despite a trade deficit that exceeds our Gross National Product (another inconcievable thought)................

So, by all means, blame Exxon for your credit card bill, because in reality, the people who own Exxon stock probably own the bank that provides the card........but at the same time, thank Exxon for helping to prop up this decaying economic structure we've built.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat May 13, 2006 5:23 am

Hey Tom...Isn't it strange that, on the evening news yesterday, one of the TOP STORIES was about U.S. corporations that are moving their OUTSOURCED company functions BACK INTO THE U.S. (claiming that their customers are complaining too much about out-of-the-country CUSTOMER CALL CENTERS).

New Balance athletic shoes makes EVERY PAIR here in the U.S.A. and their PRODUCTIVITY has actually INCREASED...and SHIPPING IS FASTER to their customers (no Chinese containers tied up in ports)!

I blame the "bean-counting" C.F.O's for the OUTSOURCING OF OUR AMERICAN ECONOMY to China & other countries. Apparently, some companies are discovering that it HASN'T PAID OFF to hire cheap, third-world employees to work your call centers...especially when they don't know HUNAN FROM HOUSTON!!!

Back in 2003, on my "Common Sense" radio talk show, here in Knoxville, I suggested that we use our National Guard to secure our American borders between Mexico & Canada (of course MOST of them where stationed in IRAQ). LAST NIGHT, on the national news: "President Bush will announce on Tuesday that he wants to deploy National Guard troops to protect our southern borders"!!!

The IDEAL opportunity would have been during the "Day Without Immigrants" protest. We could have taken ALL the protestors and screened them to find out who's LEGAL and who's ILLEGAL ! We could have gotten rid of MANY of the ILLEGALS who the politicians claim "we can't find"!!!!! Talk about your MISSED OPPORTUNITY!!!
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat May 13, 2006 5:58 am

'Country' Elliott wrote

my "Common Sense" radio talk show, here in Knoxville.

I didn’t know that was your show. Couple of year’s back, when I was in Knoxville "Common Sense" was one of the most listen to shows. A few months ago, when visiting, I was told it wasn’t “aired” anymore. What happened? I thought it was great!!!! "Common Sense" was a syndicated show wasn’t it?

'Country' Elliott for President…. I see it now….. parades up Pennsylvania Av, with Cubs and Cub Cadets.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sat May 13, 2006 6:11 am

Hey Jack...THANK YOU for all your kind words my friend! :wink: My show was never syndicated (sadly). It was broadcast "live" Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. till 10 a.m. on the Horne Radio Network in Knoxville (5 AM radio stations whose signals reached as far as Georgia, Kentucky, Middle & East Tennessee and North & South Carolina. It was popular here in Knoxville, but the network owner decided to sell the 5 radio stations and discontinue (cancel) all the "live" programing.

Well, to make a LONG story hopefully SHORTER...all of us who had "live" shows were fired (starting with me). The stations were never sold, and now enjoy next-to-NO-Listeners, with only syndicated programs such as Fox News & Hannity & Combes delivering any ratings at all! :cry:

Folks who OWN radio stations, but NO NOTHING about RADIO should NEVER OWN RADIO STATIONS!!!! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 am

'Country' Elliott wrote:I blame the "bean-counting" C.F.O's for the OUTSOURCING OF OUR AMERICAN ECONOMY to China & other countries.

I blame the Harvard MBAs. They are taught how to manage business without regard to what the business is there for.

'Country' Elliott wrote:the network owner decided to sell the 5 radio stations and discontinue . . .

I bet he is an MBA.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat May 13, 2006 8:39 am

Illegal Immigrants.

One evening, several years ago at my place of employment, the announcement system called employees every 5 or 10 minutes to the HR office for an emergency message. A sizable portion of the work force promptly left work and never did return.

The story goes that one of the employees was involved in an automobile accident. The employee's identification consisted of a Social Security card and the employeer's ID card/pass. 36 or 37 of the companies employees had the same social security number.

Eugene

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sun May 14, 2006 9:17 am

I thought I was the only one that had mail scattered around the property. I've found last years April electric bill in my coveralls back pocket from last year. Must have jumped in there when I was weedeating around the mailbox. Not the only mail I've found in strange places but we won't go there. Have a good one.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon May 15, 2006 12:11 am

Well.........

I shouldn't go here, but I will............... :shock: :shock: :shock:

The nearest town to me is called Shenandoah, PA. It is significant in a number of ways. Primarily it was the birthplace of the Dorsey Brothers. In 1906, due to the Coal Rush, it had a larger population than Los Angeles. In the century that followed, however, that population dwindled to a mere 10% of its former glory. 3 bedroom row-houses can be had there for $6,000 or so.

Now, there is a particular RC priest there, named Father Walter Chiszek. He was pastor of a huge church, with almost no parishoners. The Church was constructed during the 1870's, and is of near-cathedral size. Now, when NAFTA first made immigration from Mexico a little easier, he got himself a bright idea. He got what parishoners he had left to donate money towards a "congregational expansion fund".....this was basically a slush fund to pay for the immigration of Mexicans into Shenandoah, and pay for a few months house rental, etc. Well, it worked, of course, and they came by the thousands.

The town's actual population has about doubled, although officially, it's the same, as I don't think any of them are legal. He has managed to fill his church, however. So, I suppose he has succeeded in his goals.

Most of these immigrants work for Mrs. T's pierogies, by the way, so if you buy these, that's where your money is going.

I find them pleasant, and generally respectful, as a rule. They do not show any interest whatsoever in learning English, however, and they send their children to an all-new Catholic school, which teaches in Spanish, called "Father Chiszek School".......... :shock:

I am unsure whether or not they benefit the local economy whatsoever. The town looks about as bad as it ever did. They don't live in the public housing project adjacent to town, but live in the old homes right downtown. They did put in new streetlights about a year ago, and there is a new Mexican food store in town, but there's no point in going in there, because they don't speak enough English to do business with us natives.

Return to “Off Topic”