This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

OT: High speed Internet

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

OT: High speed Internet

Postby Mag Man » Sat May 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Guy I have a question for you all. I have been struggeling with dial up internet for about 9 years now. Let me tell you what when your trying to run a small bussiness it S#$ks. I run my ebay through internet exsplorer.and all the rest of my internet activities through my walmart servor. I have about three times a day to check the bussiness Morn, Noon, eve,. You try to check the web bussiness, The tractor boards, The cub boards,
The clasifieds, Ebay bussiness, Paypal Acc, Email, New listings to buy on ebay, You get the picture . With a 28.8 bps it can take an hour or more. No one offers high speed in my area no cable either. So I looked into D way witch is hughes net now and for about $600.00 with a $300.00 rebate after that and $69.00 a month I can get a small bussiness at about 1000 kps with a 15 month comitment.I only pay $9.95 a month now. Its hard to forsee $69.00 a month It seems like alot of money but having an extra 2 to 3 hours a day for farm, Mags, Home, Lawn, and honey dew list and lets not forget playing like a little kid on the red machines.
What do you all think of all this? I would appreatiate your advise.
JON

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat May 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Jon:

First off..
With a 28.8 bps it can take an hour or more.

I cannot remember when I last used a 28.8kbps modem. That had to be at least 5 years or more ago.. and I live in New Brunswick... :shock: :? :shock: :shock:

56.6kbps modems are getting hard to find... I still can get em.. Aopen FM-56 modems are really reliable and they are firmware modems not WinModems which are software type and unreliable as can be....

But seriously... what do you have for TV? Satellite? If so, then you do know that the Satellite TV providers are also ISP's or Internet Service Providers. Downloads are quick and Uploads are pretty quick too -- no it isn't broadband on cable or even equivalent to ADSL (which is no bargain btw....) but it is comparable. You should be able to get that for about $19.95 to $39.95 depending on packages I would think.

We have ADSL, Cable Modem[broadband] and Satellite offerings here along with Dialup. The price varies from $4.95/month for very basic 30 hr packages to $49.95 Extreme which is like next best thing to a T1 line.. oh and those are Canadian prices which have surcharges in from the CRTC and such..

Poke around some more.. there has to be better.... Hughes has got to be dreamin....

even our business plans are not that expensive.....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat May 06, 2006 10:16 pm

Jon,

I'm in the same position and I hate it. I think it's unfair discrimination. Some are saying (Donny M.) that a break-through is just around the corner. It's about time! I can see the court house from my back porch and the telephone switching office is just a block away from it, so it isn't really the boondocks. !#$%^&*

BTW, my stupid dialup is $20 plus the extra line.

I can get wireless from another town, but it is more expensive to install than satelite.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun May 07, 2006 12:58 am

Rudi,

What Jon is talking about isn't quite the same as the Satelite TV internet system..... It's satelite both ways, up, and down, and it's as fast as ADSL.

Jon, it is going to save you time, and make you be able to do a lot more things online faster. The problem is, I don't think you'll actually end up getting more free time out of your day, though. As a rule, the more you can do online, the more you end up doing. ---At least from my point of view.

We have had DSL in our area (the middle of nowhere) for 6 years now, and while it's a little slow by comparasin, and a little expensive ($50/mo)......I like it well enough.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun May 07, 2006 6:50 am

Yes I have the same problem. My phone company thought they could hook DSL up and found out I was still too far out. On top of everything else my dial-up connection slowed to 28.8 bps and I always connected at 40 to 45 bps. I thought my modem was going bad and I installed a known good one and still had the same connection. I called the phone company and they said all they could guarantee is a good voice connection. I guess this is all you can expect living in rural Missouri.

When I was traveling at work they gave me a lap top with wi-fi, but then they switched to a PCMIA card which went through the cell phone system. I really liked that. A man I work with can’t get Satellite or DSL and uses the card on his desk top and loves it. The cost is $60.00 a month… a little steep for me.

My service is $9.95 a month and it comes with a compressed version which when working well acts like DSL when surfing, but when you do uploads and down loads you better be serene.

I have made numerous complaints to my phone company to put in an extension to get me connected to DSL and they said the cost is too high just for me. Where I live,the Farmers that have PC’s are satisfied with the dial-up connections. Some Farmers do their gain hedging with the market (real-time) on dial-up. These guys are big operators, but I guess they’re like everybody else… watching where the dollar goes. I guess they’re saving me money also with three boys getting ready for college.

AT&T built a building in a field not to far from me; maybe they’re taking my phone company over. I guess that’s my only hope for high speed internet.

HUGHES NET service in my area…

Satellite Broadband… Get a 15 month warranty with purchase and $200 Mail-In Rebate
Up to 700 Kb $59.99, set up $599.98 or $99.95 down, $99.95 per month first 15 months, $59.95 thereafter and $200 Mail-In Rebate Up to 700 Kb set up $99.99.

If I ever get the extra money for high speed internet I guess the PCMIA card is the best value at this time for me.

It upsets me when the people in town can get high speed connections at $12.95 a month. But I chose to live in the boondocks.

George wrote:

I'm in the same position and I hate it. I think it's unfair discrimination. Some are saying (Donny M.) that a break-through is just around the corner. It's about time! I can see the court house from my back porch and the telephone switching office is just a block away from it, so it isn't really the boondocks. !#$%^&*

I just did some web searching and found out the AT&T building(one mile away from me) is for communications for a school in my school district, which includes high speed internet. Who helped pay for that and I can’t even use it. Talking about unfair discrimination!!!!

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun May 07, 2006 7:13 am

I'm stuck with dial-up, also. It's with SBC and it's only $9.95/mo. From what I understand in order get DSL you must live within 15,000 ft. of one of their towers. Until they build a tower a little closer to me I'm stuck at 28.8 max. I could go through cable or satellite, but I'm not going to pay that much.
Larry

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 am

ljw wrote:I'm stuck with dial-up, also. It's with SBC and it's only $9.95/mo. From what I understand in order get DSL you must live within 15,000 ft. of one of their towers. Until they build a tower a little closer to me I'm stuck at 28.8 max. I could go through cable or satellite, but I'm not going to pay that much.
Larry

My phone lines are owned by SBC, but I use a different company for my service. I've never been able to get the service I paid for through SBC. Those guys could screw up a one car parade!

I live less than 10,000 feet from their main switching office, but they have my connection routed in a roundabout way that makes it appear I'm more than 7 miles away. :evil: :evil: :evil: It's all algore's fault!

I wish I at least had the option of high speed... I'm already paying much more than most DSL customers and getting this crappy slow service.
George Willer

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Sun May 07, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi Jon,
I am in the same boat here. I had dial up and was lucky to hook up at 28.8 due to the distance from the router and the poor cables and connections in the area.
I did get the Dway now Hughes system and it is much faster. Sometimes much faster than DSL. The only problem I have with it is some slow downs and outages due to weatherand it doesn't work well with a VPN which I have to use for work. It is about 2 times as fast as dialup then.
If you can substantiate the cost and really want it it is not a bad deal. But there most likely is a breakthroug or more coming for internet access. My brother works in The telecom industry and he says one of the things they have been working on is access through your electrical supply lines. If it comes about that would be way cool.

Rondell

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Jon, I don't know anything about them, but you mihgt look into this company.
http://www.wildblue.com/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon May 08, 2006 9:28 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Jon, I don't know anything about them, but you mihgt look into this company.
http://www.wildblue.com/

GREAT! They serve the entire continental U.S., except for my zip code. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
George Willer

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon May 08, 2006 10:34 pm

When wild blue was just thinking about starting up south central sent me a letter asking if I wanted to on the list of the 1st 200 people to get on. I called and got some info and said sure. At the time their aim was to be competetive to cable but available for rural. Yeh Right!!! When they finally after repeated delays got on line they quoted my a monthly that made me drop to my knees. I said what happened to the low monthly rate??? Obviously they just couldn't deliver on that one. I told them to shove it. I'm still plugging away on dial up.

Return to “Off Topic”