This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

10 gallons of gas

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:44 pm

boy what did i start with a simple venting of having to mow to much. :oops:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:27 pm

well all of the above idea's are good but it is like the small farms that once was the big corps have rooted most of us out, so goes the big refineries there once was one in every community now there are 5 major ones so they can control the cost and its high, now wait until the corporate farms control the price of our food then we can really cry. As for our Gov doing something , why don't we bring back the 55 MPH speed limit and yes we all have to do our part to conserve, just my 2 cents
Jim Turner

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:15 pm

55 MPH is a double-edged sword.....

In the 1970's it made a lot of sense.

Now, with virtually every car using AC, the fuel savings in summertime are negligable. Additionally, it adds to the cost of shipping, because, believe it or not, fuel is not the biggest expense in trucking, labour still is. More MPH = lower shipping costs = lower prices in the end.

Saying that commercial vehicles could drive 70, while passenger vehicles could only drive 55, would be to create highway slaughterhouses.

65 is a sensible compromise. Besides, there is no global "oil shortage"...just that it's becoming more expensive.

Myself, I have difficulty maintaining the reality of 65 MPH (which translates into 75 mph, on average). I learned to drive during 55MPH, which in PA meant that if you sustained speeds over 65, you got whacked eventually, and it became ingrained in my brain. 75 seems entirely too fast to me, but yet, it makes perfect sense.

I don't see the American people doing much in the way of conserving.....we'll gripe, and we'll pay, and we'll gripe about paying, but our best bet lies in finding other solutions.

Bill,

Don't feel bad about the Canadian Oil Sands bit.....It's a necessary Evil. Our energy hopes, for the time being do rest on Canada, and as the price at the pump goes up, the production cost won't seem as bad. At some point, it will become a cheap alternative to shipping in a tanker half-way around the world. Our other major supplier, remember is Venezuela, who would be more than happy to see us go up in flames....we get about 20% of our oil from them. So yes, that's right.....only 15% of our oil comes from Arab countries, and yet we worry incessantly about them.

Even though, as Rudi pointed out to me some months ago, monies invested in Canadian oil projects return their profit back to the US instead of Canada, some of the money does enter the Canadian economy, and no one deserves our oil money more than Canada. I think Canada should add an export tarriff to the oil they sell us, and use that to solve our energy problems for us.....LOL since we don't seem to be able to do it ourselves.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:53 pm

Don't feel bad about the Canadian Oil Sands bit.....It's a necessary Evil. Our energy hopes, for the time being do rest on Canada, and as the price at the pump goes up, the production cost won't seem as bad. At some point, it will become a cheap alternative to shipping in a tanker half-way around the world. Our other major supplier, remember is Venezuela, who would be more than happy to see us go up in flames....we get about 20% of our oil from them. So yes, that's right.....only 15% of our oil comes from Arab countries, and yet we worry incessantly about them.

You're right, Tom. I didn't realize you were such a yougn'un. If our oil consumption would be reduced by 15%, the price of a barrel would fall to 1/2. That's the shame of our present situation... everyone wants to bit*h about the cost of gas, but nobody seems willing to do the one thing necessary to bring the law of supply and demand into play. That's what the Canadians do understand... falling demand would be a disaster for oil sands economics.[/quote]
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Jobs that pay is the big Canadian payoff. There is such a shortage of hands such that a couple cancellations of big expansions in the sands have occured recently. Another is that when a coker is shut down for maintainance 1500 contractors people work on it. Coke is one of the bye products of the process. Oh I forgot to mention the tax on the quarterly distribution 15% and the fact that a good deal of Canadas petrolium comes from the sands.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:16 pm

doc, maybe you need to reduce the amount of ground you are mowing. I mow aobut 1/2 to 3/4 acre with my rider, and the rest of the 2 1/2 acres with the cub. takrs a little less than 2 gallons for both.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:21 pm

Of course, having the bulk of our refineries in the Gulf seems like madness to me. With the Gulf Stream shutting down, the end result can only be that the Hurricanes that strike the Gulf States will worsen both in frequency and severity.

I think it's time to invest in refineries perhaps in places like Baltimore, Chesapeake area, and possibly up through the St. Lawrence seaway, where they would have much better weather protection. Of course, there are problems with winter access through the St. Lawrence, but at least Canada could have a share in the refinement industry then, as well as the crude production industry. We use more gas in the summer anyway. What about the old waterfront areas in the NYC area that have fallen into disrepair?? I know they revitalized one area in Brooklyn for the QMII, but why not a refinery area as well? It isn't like we could pollute those waters any worse than they already are.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 am

There are a couple of refineries on the New Jersey side of the Kill Van Kull at the present time. One sizable area available would be where NASCAR wants to put a track. Lord knows that is poluted ground now. It is where Gulf formerly had a Tank Farm. Another possibility would be Port Mobile where Mobile still does have a tank farm.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Stock Tip

Postby Eugene » Mon May 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Connacher oil and gas (CLL.TO). Currently at $3.90 US per share. Upstart Canadian oil sand driller. CLL owns a small refinery in Montana, (USA), a pipe line to move the oil, and a producing natural gas field. The natural gas is sold on the market and will be used to fire the boilers to inject steam into the oil sands. CLL also is 1/3 owner of a company drilling in South America.

Do your own research. If it doesn't work out - don't blame me. I'm currently down about $0.20 per share on this stock.

Eugene

Return to “Off Topic”