This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is it just me, or do all parts stores but NAPA stink?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Is it just me, or do all parts stores but NAPA stink?

Postby allenlook » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:48 am

We have any number of auto parts stores around here it seems. The NAPA stores are thinning out a bit which worries me.

I can walk into NAPA and ask, for example, for an oil filter for my 1952 Super A tractor, and they'll reach for the book, and tell me there's a tall and a short one, show me both if I ask and offer me the choice (it's up to me to know which one I need, of course.)

If I walk into AutoZone, or Advance Auto, or Pep Boys, or CarQuest, or Discount Auto, I am first presented with a huge wall of "pimp toys" such as green and purple blinker lenses, chrome shifter knobs, and neon underbody kits. (None of which looked good on my Cub so I took them off.) Having already searched the aisles in vain for the part I seek, I approach the counter and request, again for example, an oil filter for my 1952 Farmall Super A tractor. Then the pimple-faced kid behind the counter will look at me like I've suddenly sprouted an unborn twin out of my neck and say with all the passion he can muster - "Uhhhh..." If I repeat my request, he will turn to look in the back and say something to the effect of - "Uh, Jerry? Do we carry parts for AllFarm Supers?"

By the time he looks back, I'm already gone... :?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:47 am

Tarzan says, "Napa good, all others bad." :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:31 am

We live in a disposable society. Don't fix it, you need to throw it away and get a new one. Thank goodness for the internet.

Even the few NAPA stores left here are crap. No one working the counter knows anything about what they're selling or doesn't really want to help you. TSC has the same problem.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:19 am

[whining] The TSC here in Saratoga is maddening - they carry the oddest assortment of things, but only *half* of a reasonable selection - for instance they will carry pipe fittings, elbows and nipples in 1" and 2", but little in between! Or they will carry half of the components required to build a 3-pt. hitch, but not the other half! :shock:

They're building another TSC here in the same county, but that one will be equally frustrating - around here all the Home Depots, Lowes, and Tractor Supply stores are called "boutique" stores because they only carry a fraction of the normal inventory, and they only carry those items which are deemed to be purchased most often by the suburbian bedroom-community denizens that pass for "do-it-yourselfers" around here. :evil:

Same goes for Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. - only half the inventory. :cry:

I guess if you live in a development whose name ends in "Estates" (and yes I did used to live in "Wishing Well Estates") then you pass for a farmer around here :? [/whining]
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 am

We don't have a NAPA in our area, but do have 2 privately owned parts stores, both of which are great. We do have an autozone, but the only time I go there is if I want a cheap quality screwdriver, pliers, etc. There are a lot of old Farmalls in this part of the country, and the parts store i frequnet them most, the more experienced employees don't even have to look up the filter numbers for the old Farmall, they just go get them of the shelf.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:01 pm

i like the napa store in warren ohio. they ahve some good guys working there. tsc stores in my area are not the great because of the lack of service but the gals they hire do fill up their wrangler jeans quite nicely! :wink: the autozones and advanced parts places dont have much for tractors or newer car parts.
john

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:20 pm

Kind of funny in a way :? :shock: :lol: NOT :!: :lol: NAPA here is crap... if you want something - DON'T go to NAPA or as it is known here as UAP/NAPA.

We used to have one parts guy that knew a bit... but even he has problems -- as he is just about retiring time and don't give a dang... the rest are all pimples who barely can read let along figure out what a spark plug is or a point. Don't ask them for a regulator or a coil -- they just adopt that "I don't know squat" look, and you may as well leave right then.

The only places that really are good are my CaseIH Dealer (gone and now I have to go to Amherst NS or Sussex NB), sometimes Canada Trash, definitely not Co-op... unfortunatley... or to an independant like APM... they will at least order stuff for me if needed. Thank God I still have access to places like Fairfield Fittings, NTN Bearings etc., to get the really exotic stuff..... :?
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Around here we have the usual assortment of auto parts stores. Of those, only the NAPA and a locally owned family business are any good. In addition, we have a 4th or 5th generation Case IH dealer that is still very good. Of course, agriculture is still a very large piece of the economics of this area.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Thomas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Now doubt more and more auto parts stores are zeroing on youngster's,and theres more and more youngster's behind the counters.

Now ask the young man behind the counter to cross reference part while his computer out of order. :( and thank goodness the cash register can show how much change to give back to the customer. :roll: ..but to be fair not all youngster's behind the counter are.............. :wink:

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:16 pm

I've discovered lately that the NAPA is getting real competitive with the discounters also. Last 3x's I've needed a part NAPA was the same or cheeper and I trust their parts alot more. I may not even shop around anymore. Just call them up and get it.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:21 pm

We have very good Napa stores here. For the most part I can count on them to understand and deliver what I want. But I wish they would adjust their prices between a regular Joe off the street and a commercial auto repair business, whom they give great discounts.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:54 pm

My NAPA guys are the best :!: I order a part and have it the next morning if it's not in stock. They will even give my parts to strangers if the stranger has an I/H hat on :lol: :lol:
In all the time I've been dealing with them I've received the wrong part only once. I ordered a IH200 and received a IC200. But they made it right the next day and gave it to Jesse Roberts to deliver to the Tumble.
Autozone and the others I stay away from :!:
8)

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:14 pm

I have to agree with everyone on NAPA. My NAPA didn't evan go to the book he know what he's doing :D . One I have noticed is that KIDS don't know how to give the correct change w/o a calculator :cry: . If power goes out they are lost :? . Thats about the same as a BAD :cry: parts store.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 pm

My comments concern a lot of high traffic businesses, not only the autoparts stores.

Business hire the cheapest help they can obtain. Not the best, the cheapest. The second part of the problem is that most business do not provide their recent hires with sufficient training and frequently no training. The third problem is that business pay low wages for counter help.

All of the above creates a high personnel turnover. Exacerbating the problem.

Eugene

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 pm

The best NAPA store I've been it where I live closed down. My favorite hardware changed hands also. Last week my wife decided to ride to town (20 miles) for a few groceries. I asked her to pick me up four 1/4"X3 1/4" standard bolts. I wrote it on a piece of paper for her just like that and added on the paper "they can be longer than 3 1/4", but not shorter". She wasn't feeling well and when they put them in the bag, she just brought them to me. They were 1/4"X3/4". She went to lay down and I got in my car and had business at the hardware. I handed the paper to the kid and told him I would like to get those 4 bolts. "Oh, a lady was just in and picked these up, do you want 4 more" No, just the ones I have written down. He handed me 4 more 3/4" bolts. Thats when I came unglued. DOES THESE LOOK LIKE 3 1/4" BOLTS TO YOU? He then ask "what is this X mean"? I managed to get the bolts and leave the scene before the law got there. They haven't showed up at my house yet, so I think everything is ok.