This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is it just me, or do all parts stores but NAPA stink?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:33 pm

I like NAPA alot, but sometimes we just get one of the great guys on the wrong day :lol: but i have noticed that alot of other stores are new younger guys who don't know a thing aobut nothing...... but all of our NAPA stores are "privately" owned and run by the same guy... (8 or so stores)

Johnny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Our local NAPA used to be great, we have a account with them at work and when ever we needed a odd bearing, seal, hose..etc.. we'd just run to napa.. they even stocked the goofy metric seal and bearings our cnc's used..BUT the corp. group took it over(it was privatly owned now i think its a corp. store). All the local factories used to depend on them, they had a large warehouse, inhouse machine shop, and made alot of custom stuff on site. And now it has gone to he!!, all the counter guys used to be retired mechanics, farmers, etc that took pride in what they did and knew what they are talkin bout... now most the counter guys are barely old enough to shave and know diddly and could care less if they did. The warehouse is mostly empty now, the machine shop was sold out, and all the good hands were quickly snatched up by other outfits and replaced with 'cheaper labor'.

We still have a account with them, but all we get there now is grease and a occasional hand tool when we can't wait to order...

The 'mom and pop' parts store are always best IMO. Sure do miss our old NAPA.

Sorry i ranted on...but it burns my buns...

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Whenever I need anything I try to go to one of the oldest businesses in town or to a family owned business. I hate chain stores. I dont mind paying a little more than I may at a chain store as the expertise and friendliness usually make up the difference :) Same goes for resteraunts. If I can eat at a family owned resteraunt instead of applebees,chilis,fridays,wingers,zingers,etc.etc. Im going to. Were being programmed to eat at these resteraunts and shop at these"wal-marts". Im pretty young and this has been going on almost as long as I can remember. It must really upset some of the older folks to see this happening to our society. :( Individualism is no longer a good thing, what you need is the same old thing at every city or state you visit, heaven forbid somone should try something new or different. The truck stop diner is a thing of the past now you go into a "service center" to see the same "quiznos" in every stop...

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 pm

Merlin,

Sounds like ...

1/4 X 3 1/4 must be a 3/4 inch bolt, 1/4 inch diameter,... because

1/4 X (times) 3 = 3/4, and then another 1/4 after that :lol: :lol:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:40 pm

I went to Auto Zone and asked if they had 0.010" oversize rod bearings. One of the veterans looked on the computer and said the smallest he had was 0.025" over. That didn't sound right to me so I asked to see them. On the box was written 0.25 mm, which is 0.010" in english. The guy has been there for years and I wondered how many rod bearings he sold in that manner.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm

ljw wrote:I went to Auto Zone and asked if they had 0.010" oversize rod bearings. One of the veterans looked on the computer and said the smallest he had was 0.025" over. That didn't sound right to me so I asked to see them. On the box was written 0.25 mm, which is 0.010" in english. The guy has been there for years and I wondered how many rod bearings he sold in that manner.

Undersize bearings are a lot more common. :lol:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 pm

I think the bottom line with most new fangled auto stores is all the help needs to know is how to navigate the computer menu and locate the store P/N in the back. Repair Knowledge is no longer necessary.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Undersize bearings are a lot more common.

I'm just here for comic relief! :oops: It's 3 hours past my bedtime, for goodness sake!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 pm

The NAPA store in Morristown, New Jersey is still terrific. Primarily because of the owner, and his wife, who run it. The owner is an encyclopedia of just about everything I've ever been stuck on, and always willing to take the time to help, find, or explain something. When I rebuilt the final drives on my Cub, I gave them the list of all the seals I needed by IH number, they cross listed all of the numbers, and then called all over their network till they found every one of them. When I told the owner I was looking for a shop to press the drives apart, he told me to bring them in. He pressed them apart for free. Don't know where I'd turn without them. Needless to say I don't go anywhere else, regardless of price.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:35 am

Paul,

Don't spread the word around too much, or someone from corporate will come in and take over your NAPA store! :D :cry:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:33 am

The local Case/IH dealer here has virtually nothing in stock here for a cub. They can order it but the price is always high. Also, there is a different person behind the counter evrytime I go there.
A couple of weeks ago, I go into the local Advance Auto parts store and asked for some 1 5/8 radiator hose. The first thing she said was, "what it go on." I paused for a moment, thinking of all the possibilites of responses. I even thought of making up a name of a vehicle to see if she would look it up. But no, I said I just needed some of the generic hose hanging on the back wall. Eventually, I had to go with her behind the counter to find it. What service. Reminds me of the new gift shops starting to spring up at the hotels. Totally self serve, great big vending machines......even takes credit cards.
By the way, I went to the NAPA store first for the hose. His initial response when I asked him was "how much you need?" But...it turned out he was out of it. Next time, I'll just have him order it.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:34 pm

I guess i am perty lucky as far as parts suppliers are concerned :D
I have a case dealer 2 miles away and the lady (Ruth) that works the counter has been selling parts for these little critters as she calls them since 1954 the year i was born. 8)
The other fellah at the counter IS larry the cable Guy :lol:
They will get me anything that is out there in a day or two.
My other supplier is a aoto parts store that has been in buisness since 1926 and they are Great also. They serve the construction and auto repair garages in the area.
But i always kid and joke with them and a couple or three times a year i will give the some $ and tell them pizza for lunch tomorrow is on Me :wink:
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:14 pm

:D
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby allenlook » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:08 am

Tom - a worthy dream indeed! :D

At my local McAutoZone, the conversation would go something like this...

<drive up to menu>

<me> I'd like a quart of blinker fluid and a left-handed screwdriver.

<them> Bzzzz, whaaa hmmmmm fzzzzzooooeeeee?

<me> No, thank you, just the left-handed screwdriver. I already have the set of left handed sockets.

<them> Whzzzoooomy, ffffffaaafafafa.

<me> Yes, that will be all, thank you.

<them> Thhhhhaaaaaazzzzzz grrrrrooommmeeebee ungaaafungaaa.

<me> You're welcome.

Return to “Off Topic”