This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

letter to home

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

letter to home

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:25 am

FROM A SASKATCHEWAN FARM KID,
NOW AT MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT.

Dear Ma and Pa:
I am well. Hope you are. Tell Brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile.
Tell them to join up quick before maybe all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till nearly 6 a.m., but am getting so I like to sleep late.

Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Men got to shave but it is not so bad, there's warm water.

Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc, but kind of weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, pie and other regular food, but tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by the two city boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you till noon when you get fed again.

It's no wonder these city boys can't walk much. We go on "route marches", which the platoon sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it's not my place to tell him different. A "route march" is about as far as to our mailbox at home.
Then the city guys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks. The country is nice but awful flat.

The sergeant is like a school teacher. He nags a lot.
The Capt. is like the school board. Majors and colonels just ride around and frown. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunk head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to hand combat training.
You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real careful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in this except for that Tug Jordan from over in Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 pounds, and he's 6'8" and weighs near 300 pounds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get onto this setup and come stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,
Gail.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:30 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:44 am

I didn't see it coming!!
I went to Ft. Dix, NJ for basic training. They marched us from morning til evening. It was winter, but I would still get thirsty. I learned quick to avoid the yellow snow. :oops: I remember one morning as the company commander was talking to us. One man out of 200 had not qualified on the firing range. He was so angry, he said, "I tried to give you guys a break, now I'm going to have to f*** with you!" Even now after all these years I remember standing there trying to figure out exactly when during basic training he tried to give us a break? And then it dawned on me. Standing at attention in the ranks I realized it was all BS and I just had to smile at the whole incident. But I didn't let them see me. Nobody receive a weekend pass. How the cadre must have laughed at us relating stories while sipping brew at the NCO and Officers clubs. Good story. Larry

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 am

standing 6'4" and having a 5'5" female DI in basic, it EXTREMELY hard not to laugh at her when she was screaming at me. Neddless to say i did a lot of extra duty during basic :lol:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: letter to home

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 pm

Mac from NS wrote:
Dear Ma and Pa:
Your loving daughter,
Gail.
I think I dated Gail when I was younger.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:54 pm

Reminds me of the US Marine Corps' trainin manual...

I think on the back page it said something like

RCAF 1942 Revision 1

Which is not quite the RCN regimen at HMCS Cornwallis......

NOW THAT's BOOT CAMP.. Paris Island I think would be a holiday... well at least no Cornwallis Hack or the SCRATCH :!: :shock: :lol: :lol: and that has to be worth at least an extra week :!: :D :lol: :lol: 8) :lol:

Well done Mac :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:25 am

Good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Off Topic”