This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Save the whales

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Save the whales

Postby W6NZ » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I don't usually go in for this kind of thing but I believe this site needs our support.
http://www.whalesrevenge.com/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:36 pm

Although I agree with most of the Greenpeace objectives, I agree with few of their methods. :roll:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Sorry W6NZ, I'm on the other side on this one. Thats just one more species I think I could live without.

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:47 am

Some honesty from the Japs as to their reason for slaughter of the whales would go down well, research, !! yere right.
Greenpeace' actions do leave a bit to be desired at times, but I don't see others doing much about the environment. Government of most countries is all hot hair.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:05 am

W6NZ wrote:Some honesty from the Japs as to their reason for slaughter of the whales would go down well, research, !! yere right.
Greenpeace' actions do leave a bit to be desired at times, but I don't see others doing much about the environment. Government of most countries is all hot hair.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Carry it one step further, the environmental tree huggers is a lot of hot air too. But the design in the big picture is for species to go extinct and new ones to come forth. Something about the food chain. Depending on which scientist you want to listen to, now they say trees is what is causing the green house effect. Also, I was watching the news a few months back and there was a fairly long article that said there are more trees and greenery in the world today than there were over one hundred years ago due to the fact of reforrestry. I don't pay too much attention to what they say any more because I know if I wait, they are going to change what they say anyway. One day coffee is bad for you, the next day it is good for you, so I just drink my 30 cups or so a day and don't worry about it. Rule of thumb for good health, if it taste good, spit it out, if it feels good, don't do it.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:43 pm

:shock:
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:11 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:If God had singled a creature out for extinction by natural means, that would be a different story.
He may even have a special place in hell for those of us who say things like "Good, who needs whales anyway. or Pandas, or Siberian Tigres, Gorillas.......etc...etc...etc.."

God created mankind also, so I think if man kills off the whales, that will be "extinction by natural means". There has been literally hundreds of thousands of species go extinct since the beginning of time, and they may be missed mentally, but not physically. There are some species that need to be extinct. No, I don't think God will punish anyone for not caring if a species goes extinct. No proof of this statement, but I don't believe there are over a handful of people out of our 280 or so million people in the USA who cares one way or another if an animal goes extinct anyway. I do meet one ever once in a great while though.

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:25 pm

There are some species that need to be extinct

That could apply to some human beings as well.

but I don't believe there are over a handful of people out of our 280 or so million people in the USA who cares one way or another if an animal goes extinct anyway

Not a good attitude really, the world would be a poorer place without all the wildlife, whether they live in the sea or roam the land.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Merlin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:45 pm

W6NZ wrote:
There are some species that need to be extinct

That could apply to some human beings as well.

Not a good attitude really, the world would be a poorer place without all the wildlife, whether they live in the sea or roam the land.

I agree fully with both statements. It would be a dreadful world without animals. I don't think I would want to live here. But I'm not going to worry about a few species going extinct. It is going to happen whether we want it to or not. If the headlines said "200,000 species to go extinct next week", I would perk up a little and see what was going on. But for the whales, minnows, owls that nobody sees, and field mice in some farmers wheat field, not hardly.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:55 pm

:shock:
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Tom,

Your position is based on the assumption that the possible extinction of a species is the driving force behind the Japanese whaling. Actually, their purpose is more likely to be economic. With that in mind, it's unlikely that the economic rewards are or ever will be high enough that they can chase the last remaining mating pair all over the vast oceans and cause extinction. Their numbers may be declining, but extinction... nah, it won't happen!

The greenies never have, to my knowledge ever given the human beings proper credit for creating new species, or modifications of them. In agriculture alone, there aren't any plants or animals that haven't been altered by selective breeding enough to be almost unrecognizeable.

Consider the many breeds of dogs, for example, that are a dazzling array of wildly separate types. It only takes a few generations in the wild for any of them to revert to the feral form, all pretty much alike.

I for one, am more thankful for the vast improvements in breeds and varieties God gave us the ability to arrange than I am fearful about any diminishing of a few species.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:47 pm

Actually, their purpose is more likely to be economic. With that in mind, it's unlikely that the economic rewards are or ever will be high enough that they can chase the last remaining mating pair all over the vast oceans and cause extinction. Their numbers may be declining, but extinction... nah, it won't happen!

Economic, yes it must be a fairly economic way to get whale meat as part of their food chain, or they wouldn't put such resources into the harpooning of them.
Extinction ! no not at this time, but in the future, quite possibly. I remember the trawlers saying there was plenty of fish in the sea for all, now they are reaping what they sowed, in fact they now have the gaul to moan about the lack of fish in the oceans.
Shortsightedness and greed, there is a price to pay.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:12 pm

You don't have to reach the last remaining breeding pair to assure extinction. Every species (even Homo sapiens) has a critical mass, below which the species cannot recover. Has to do with limitations on the gene pool. I can't think of one valid reason to be intentionally harvesting whales, except for subsistence hunting by indigenous peoples.

That being said, I can't stand Greenpeace!

End of rant.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Off Topic”