This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

acetone in gas

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

acetone in gas

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:05 pm

anyone believe that acetone can improve gas milage? my neighbors told me they they are doing it and its working so far with no problems to their cars.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2 ... 9_Acetone/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:00 pm

I'm inclined to believe this is another urban legend. The following link makes a case against many gas saving legends.
http://www.fuelsaving.info/acetone.htm

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:19 pm

Acetone is a terrible fuel. It won't do anything beneficial for gas mileage and might soften up synthetic components in the fuel system. If acetone was really a "miracle" fuel additive, it would have been a mainstream additive to gasoline years ago.

Be careful what chemicals you put into your gas tank. They can dissolve plastics, corrode metals and generally destroy catalysts, electronic components and sensors throughout the fuel system, engine and exhaust. Modern automobile engines are sensitive to "foreign" chemicals and are specifically designed to operate within the confines of specific fuels and those additives. Additionally, it may react with certain chemicals blended with gasoline and create a sludge or precipitate.

Just like the ads 30 years ago proclaiming a miracle carburetor with the ability to get 60 mpg from a 1970 Chrysler New Yorker, dumping fingernail polish remover in your gas tank is a waste of money and effort.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:36 am

My brother is running 1 gallon of diesel for every ten gallons of gas in his ford aspire and has went from 45 to 52 miles per gallon on the highway and has been for the last year. My little brother is doing the same with his doge caravan flex fuel. Naturally my 90 ranger with over 200 miles hates it sputters spark knocks and looses milage.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

how does adding diesel to gasoline improve gas mileage??

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:03 pm

:D
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:16 pm

:roll:
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:44 pm

I had some diesel I wanted to get rid of. I mixed it with the gas in my lowboy and over time burned it all up with no ill effects.
I have told this before but during the gas shortage of the 70's I was 300 miles from home north of Watkins Glenn NY with an old air cooled Volks. I had less than a quarter tank of gas. I started the engine and after a few minutes filled up with Kerosene, which is roughly the equivilent of #1 diesel. Car ran fine and I had no trouble getting back to Staten Island.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:18 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:
JBall8019 wrote:how does adding diesel to gasoline improve gas mileage??

Its addition, does out of necessity, however, reduce the fuel's octane proportionately, and cars with knocking and preignition problems will have a rougher time with it. I'm not sure if adding a higher amount of ethanol to the mix would solve this problem or not. It would be interesting to see, however.

Tom,

I'm not sure either, but here's what I think... Adding a fuel with higher energy content and another with a lower energy content to cancel out its' ill effects seems to be an exersize in futility. I agree that adding diesel could help with some engines, but adding ethanol would decrease mileage in most cases, as we should be aware. Ethanol simply doesn't have as much energy as real gasoline, so, therefore, its' addition reduces mileage.

Our best course would be to develop our own crude oil production until we can do the magic and find a true alternative. Hint: hydrogen isn't it.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:37 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:Water can be a good additive to the mixture, but of course, not to the fuel system. There have been water injectors and water mix carbeurators for many decades now.

Water injection was used only to control combustion temperatures, before the exhaust gas recirculation systems common on vehicles manufactured since the 1970s. It was virtually required with high compression engines with superchargers, they would self-destruct from the extreme heat. Exhaust gas is ever present with a running engine and made for an idiot-proof replacement for water injection.

Case in point, 1963 Oldsmobile F85/Cutlass had an optional (factory installed) supercharged 215 V8 (basically the Buick aluminum V8) with water injection. But many owners didn't keep an eye on the water bottle and few engines survived that torture.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:44 pm

WWII fighter plane had water injection too. I was designed to get you away from danger with the extra burst of power. Run it too long and you were dead sticking.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:08 pm

8)
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:25 pm

:wink:
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:52 pm

Conversely, though, George, if we relied solely on our own domestic oil reserves, we would run out of oil in about 25 years or less. Coal to oil conversion technology could stretch that quite a ways if we fed everything that burned diesel or oil this new "coal oil", but at a high environmental cost.

That's true, Tom, but mostly because of our artificial constraints that prevent drilling where the oil IS. We have much more in oil reserves that are not allowed to be used than most folks realize. The problem is political in nature, not physical.

That's much like the artificial constraint on mining coal where the high quality coal IS. Ask the citizens of Utah how they feel about their high quality coal being locked up forever by the stroke of an irresponsible President's pen.

Any environmental cost will be because of our wasteful habits rather than where the fuel raw material comes from.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:16 pm

:P
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic”