This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anti Politically Correct - Missouri House Resolution # 13.

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Anti Politically Correct - Missouri House Resolution # 13.

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Last paragraph: "Now, therefore, be resolved by the members of the House of Representatives of the Ninety-third General Assembly, Second Regular Session, the Senate concurring therein, that we stand with the majority of our constituents and exercise the common sense that voluntary prayer in public schools and religious displays on public property are not a coalition of church and state, but rather the justified recognition of the positive roll that Christianity has played in this great nation of ours, the United States of America."

I do have a problem with the wording of the proposed Resolution. The first sentence of the Resolution is worded “Christian God” and the last sentence “Christianity”. My preference is that “Christian God” be changed to “higher being” or similar wording and that “Christianity” be changed to “religion”. Reasoning: My preference would be to include all religions in the wording.

My personal feeling is that it is about time the opinions, preferences and actions of a (few) minority should not be enforced by judicial rulings over the preferences of the majority.

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:36 pm

Eugene. Just a thought ........... It's not the OTHER religions that are being attacked in our schools. And for that matter, in our country. It's Christianity. I guess they ARE speaking for the majority here, and trying to bring everything back to a level playing field. Any & all are suppose to have freedom of religion. And the government shouldn't suppress that. That's how this country was founded. On Christian - Judeo principles. One of the cancers of this country, the ACLU, is trying their best to reverse that ................

My last word on this ....... No debate! :-:-):

Oh yes ........ Political correctness should be plowed under with the next planting!
Ron

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:02 pm

My 2 Cents here, as you know I always have 2 cents.... :D

As long as the word "Voluntary" remains there. I see no problem with the legislation. There was a time, in certain places, where prayer was not so voluntary, and children were either punished or chastized if they did not join in. This must be avoided at all costs, and if we are to lend legal legs to prayer in school, we must be ready to prosecute any teacher, aide, or volunteer who punishes or chastizes any student who is exercising his religious right NOT to pray with his fellow students.

Our constitution guarantees religious freedom, thank GOD. People of other religions than christianity, namely jews and muslims, certainly pray to the same God that Christians do. Those persons of other religions than these, however, may pray silently in their hearts. Atheists may reflect upon their own character for those few minutes, or use that time to re-affirm their beliefs, while their christian, jewish, and muslim bretheren pray out loud.

It would be kind of us, then, as Christians praying in schools, to address our prayers to God, the father, thereby not making it difficult for non-christian followers of the God of Abraham (jews and muslims) to pray along.

The legislation, then, need not be reworded, providing it is followed to the letter, in order to be both in reality fair, and politically correct.

I don't think anyone truly believes that Christianity is being attacked in schools. When the church proposes hogwash like "intelligent design" to replace evolution and creationism, it is time for both the church and the public school system to stand up and complain. In my day, you believed in creation "metaphorically" and in evolution "literally". There was no in between nonsense like "intelligent design". No wonder the major Christian faiths have turned their backs on it. Mandatory prayer MUST be removed from schools. Voluntary prayer may be put back in its place. There's nothing unchristian about this, it is only common sense.

Christmas has become a secular holiday, and that is a good thing. It has become a time when people of all faiths attempt to be a little kinder to one another, and yet, some Christians feel that Christmas without Christ is an abomination. I will remind you that the Feast of Christmas has always been of minor religious significance, and that mankind out of secular love of his fellow man is what has given it the significance it has held for the last 2 centuries.

Well, that was a little more than 2 cents. It was more like a whole quarter, but you get the picture. By all means, be Christian, be proud of it, but be fair and sensible.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:21 am

My personal opinion follows the intent of the Resolution. But, that without a wording change the Resolution doesn’t stand a change of passage. A newspaper article discussing the Resolution contained a criticism of the current wording in that the Resolution makes Christianity the official religion.

Eugene

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:28 am

The ACLU shouldn't be thought of as a cancer, Ron, I don't think.

When it functions as it was intended, it is indeed a noble institution.

Being the advocate of anyone's liberties via trial (or trial by fire) is an ideal which must be aspired to.

Unfortunately, it has been misused by those who would have it protect their perceived "rights" to behave badly. It is in this way that is has sullied its reputation.

That aside, however, whenever business or government seeks to harm a class of individuals, or an individual, and he or they are powerless to do anything about it, it is the ACLU who answers that call.

Think of the "forced sterilizations" that were so prominent in the American South by employers during the 1980's. This was an abonimable practice that was fought and won by the ACLU.

The ACLU was one of the opposing forces that ended the McCarthyism Era.

I know that they are a group of liberal attourneys who sometimes file frivolous lawsuits, and that they are widely responsible for the disaster that is affirmative action. No one is perfect, however. We are making inroads into affirmative action legislation once again, thank goodness, as that particular institution is an insult to all involved, and most people realize that. It may have served its purpose in the short term, however, by making employers aware of the need to ignore race and sex in the question of employment. Now that they are in the habit of ignoring those things, it's time to take affirmative action out of the equation.

We've seen the collapse of inner-city busing to other schools based upon race quotas, which I thought were dreadful things. Like 40 black kids from an inner city school really wanted to be separated from their friends to go to school with 500 white kids an hour away from home. All this was doing was legislating racial tensions.

Return to “Off Topic”