This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sky watching

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sky watching

Postby W6NZ » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:47 pm

If your interests are Galatic take a look at this,
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/map/index.html

fascinating.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:23 am

W6, Thanks! I added it to my favorites. Although I am mostly galactic illiterate, I am overwhelmed when looking at the sky at night. I know that I belong to this vast universe, but I'm saddened that I'm still such a tiny piece of it. Several years ago I had the opportunity to view the Southern Cross. An emotional experience for me. It had been there for so long and I just then saw it. How much more is out there that we just can't see?
Excuse me, I get a little melancholy in the morning, afternoon, and evening. :shock:
Thanks again! Larry

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi Larry, I too am galatic illiterate but it never ceases to amaze me. It sure is overwhelming, we humans, are indeed a very minute part of the Universe.
There are some great web sites around,every so often I get to hear of them.Always well worth a look.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:01 pm

Hi W6.... That's a good site some mind blowing info there, thanks.

PS how did you get your flag back? I suppose it's in fact your Avtar, We all ahd flags for a while, but they seem to have blown away in the wind:
Pat

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Larry, My Friend,

All things considered, it is probably a good thing that you (and I) are minute parts of the universe. :D :shock: :twisted:

In all seriousness, though, once in a while, the Northern lights manage to make a display here in Eastern PA, and while I know that they are merely minute particles of our sun that have reached the end of their 8 minute journey by getting trapped in our electromagnetic field, every time it happens, I find myself standing in the backyard with my cellphone in hand, calling everyone I know, to get their butts outside and see the show.

As the magnetic pole seems to be shifting to Siberia from Canada, however, my light shows will be lost, very likely, for the rest of my life. It's ok, though, because it's now time for the people of Europe and Asia to see what I have, on rare occaision, been fortunate enough to see.

I have a cheap little telescope as well, and I have used it to view the planets from time to time, and have seen moons of Jupiter and Saturn with my own eyes.

Even if technology caught up with itself tomorrow, a person like me will never make it into space.

Some of the most thrilling moments in my life have been viewing these celestial events, all from my backyard, and nothing else I have ever witnessed thus far has been as thrilling.

On days when I run out of excuses for living, things like this make a pretty good case for chugging along.... :D

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:44 am

PS how did you get your flag back? I suppose it's in fact your Avtar, We all ahd flags for a while, but they seem to have blown away in the wind:
Pat

Hi Pat, yes it's my avatar stored in Photobucket.

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:27 am

Larry, Pat, take a look at this.
http://hytaipan.home.comcast.net/hubble640.html

Cheers,
David

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:19 am

Wonderful site :!: :!: Thanks David :!:
8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:00 am

Holley makeral. Those are awsome.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 am

W6, That is a fantastic presentation! I like the audio and the way they scanned each pic. How would a person save a slideshow like that? I tried, but couldn't. Below is a website I watch frequently. Especially when the rovers first landed on Mars. There's a lot of stuff on this site.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Thanks again! Larry

Return to “Off Topic”