This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Stranger

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am

Well said BD! Ah I grew up with TV. Watched Modern Farmer in the early sixies,Black and white TV,Came home from school and found my President was shot in Dallas.Watched Man walk on the moon with my Dad.On a 19 inch B&W.In fact the first time I went to a major league ballgame. I was in awe of how the grass was so green. :lol: . I am so messed up from that stranger. He told me to watch. The Little Rascals,Three Stooges, Abott and Costello. He has been with all of my life.In fact I have a 55 inch set now.With many channels and still nothing on.My son's eye and hand cordination is far superior than mine ever was.Stupid video games.Still says to me I'm bored. I think we should have more quality time together. "Ok" my turn to play....................
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ralph » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:26 pm

I agree with Big DoG Completely!
It is what you let it be.
It Can control You................ If you Don't Control It!
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Of course, I think everyone should make their own decisions. And I admire the steadfastness in your controlling what programs are watched and who watches them. But you're in the very small minority. I'm not involved with The Neilson people, but from my personal experience and from what the public is told, kids watch many hours of TV every day, and they are not watching the Discovery channel.
I remember when my Dad brought the first TV home. At that time we didn't know that it was supposed to go in the living room so he put it on top of the chest of drawers in our bedroom. It was a Philco 11", or there abouts. We finally moved up to a Zenith 21". The Zenith went out one night and we begged Dad to get the repair man to the house before Zorro came on. He didn't get there in time! :cry: Every time a heard a certain theme music on the TV I thought that Peter Pan was going to be shown again. Remember Tom Terrific on Sat. Mornings?
I loved TV and I still love it. Like I said, I'm addicted to it. I just don't think there is enough good programming. Anyway, what is good for an old geezer like me is not good for a kid whose antenna are raised and seaching for some titilating dialogue and/or scenery. You must remember what it was like at that age. :oops: And that's all I'm saying. I don't think anybody on God's green earth can stand up and say that they view todays programming as nutrition for a kids fertile mind.
Has anybody ever read the book "Lomesome Dove"? You know he won a Pulitzer Prize for the book. :?

Larry

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:50 pm

:(
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Larry,

Since you've mentioned it more than once, I thought I should answer.

No, I've never read lonesome dove.

Tom, thanks for confirming that my comments about the dove weren't really lonesome. Thank you! One mention about some of the actors you mentioned previously. Let me concede that you may be right about John Wayne being a limited actor. But who cares, he was good! But not Jimmy Cagney! Don't you remember "Yankee Doodle Dandy"? The epitome of great musicals. The only good movie Travolta made was "Pulp Fiction". I think the movie made him perform well. Anthony Hopkins was a fine actor once. He should have quit when he was ahead.
My 2 cents, but it's probably not worth that much.
Larry

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:05 pm

ljw wrote: The only good movie Travolta made was "Pulp Fiction".

I thought he did pretty well in "A Civil Action".

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:19 pm

Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:58 pm

Jim,

"Civil Action" was a very good movie. Always, my fingers work quicker than my brain.

Tom,

I forgot about "Quiet Man". That is certainly a movie for the Irish! I can't count the times I've watched that movie. Ward Bond was a favorite character actor mine. I was going to bring this up before, but where are the character actors now. And don't say Boot Hill. Ben Johnson, Slim Pickens, Richard Boone! Remember Paladin! Now he was one heck of an actor. They weren't purdy, but man they could make the lead actor look good. I know that every generation says it, but we are lucky to have been around the last few decades. The highest highs, the lowest lows.

I'm watching the Oscars. Jon Stewart is a light weight, IMHO.

Larry

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:41 am

I watch TV, but not the "major networks" at all. I've never watched CSI, NYPD Blue, Seinfeld, Sex in the City, etc. Network "news" have become an exercise in political commentary. I watch Discovery, History, National Geographic, AMC. I spend hours on the internet.

Recently, we went to visit my inlaws who live in a small town in northern Maine. They have 1 TV, 4 TV channels, and no computer at all. They are elderly, and it was the dead of winter, so they (and we) spent a fair amount of time indoors. They also nap a lot.

My mother-in-law gave me "Ben-Hur" to read. I love the movie, have never read the book. It's a long, detailed read, written in somewhat dated prose. In three days I'd made it halfway through before we returned home. I brought the book with me.

Two months later, I'm about 2/3 through, as the only time I read now is when I go to bed--and sleep overtakes me quickly. Somehow, I feel I've shortchanged myself. The time I'm spending right now could be spent with the book. Having said that, I've just "discovered" other aspects of this Forum, having rarely ventured off the "Farmall Cub" page. I expect to finish the book about the end of the year...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 am

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote: Curiously enough, I bought the DVD of the musical Phantom of the Opera a month ago. My daughter was so enchanted with the music, she asked "Dad, you get me CD Music?" And so I bought her the soundtrack. She sits daily and sings Christine's part to the entire CD (rather well at that).

Tom,

Here's another version she might like... I do.

It's Phantom of the Opry With tom-toms, etc and featuring a 5 string banjo.

http://resources.bravenet.com/audio_clips/folk_bluegrass/folk_-_phantom_of_the_opry/listen/
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:04 pm

George,

Thanks for finding that.

She did love it, and said to tell you "Thank You."

She found it suitable for dancing.

Tom

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ljw » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:26 pm

Tom, my friend, Sometimes, not often :P , you hit the nail directly on the head. My sentiments exactly! For years I traveled, read books to make the time pass. I read most of the Clancy's, Grisham's, Patterson's, etc. And they served their purpose which was to occupy my time while waiting. Don't get me wrong, these guys are good writers, but I'm certain name recognition had something to do with selling the later books. I would forget that I read a certain book and it would take me many pages before I realized it.
I've read just about every book Hemingway has written. In the book, I think it was "For Whom the Bell Tolls" he took about 2 1/2 pages to explain how he kissed this woman on the lips! That man knew how to write. But I remember a lot of his stuff you couldn't just read a passage one time. I had to go back and re-read it so I wouldn't miss anything. Especially something like that!
Reading a book by a good writer that cares about his subject matter is just like the accumulated knowledge of a man's occupation that he has performed over the years. He knows it inside and out, all the nuances, etc. Or like you Tom, when you research various topics like Pres. Madison. Or like GW and a lot of these guys. They know these Cubs like very few others.
When I was younger, I read Thoreau. Now that was painful. You know that he lusted after Ralph Waldo Emerson's wife, don't you? That may me common knowledge, though.
I think I've said too much! Larry

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Stranger

Postby Jim Reid » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:20 am

as for my two cents worth on the TV the weather channel or the history channel is about all that is worth watching and sometimes i have doubts about them.as for reading i have found some interesting books in antique shops on old farming equipment and some of the early hunting and fishing books.and there is nothing more relaxing than reading a good book and listening to the radio or CD's as long as they are playing BLUEGRASS MUSIC.
Jim

Return to “Off Topic”