This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Art Deco celebrations

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Art Deco celebrations

Postby W6NZ » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:59 pm

Napier is known as the Art Deco capital of the world, after the 1931 earthquake when over 200 people were killed and many buildings were totally destroyed; a lot of Napier was rebuilt in the Art Deco style.
We have 2 weeks of celebrations of all kinds every year, and many of your countrymen/women come "on down".
This afternoon the wife & I went for a steam train ride, fantastic, just like old times again, no worries about mad drivers being on the road. The train was resurrected from the scrap heap by a number of guys a few years ago and they have spent $400,000 on its refurbishment, its a real credit to them.The sights and sounds plus smell of the crude oil burning were spectacular. 8)

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/JICH1/Me%20and%20Mine/SWScan00133.jpg[/img][/img]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:59 am

Wonderful :idea:

I like to see stuff like that restored. It then becomes a living piece of history, and that is awesome. Here in the Moncton area, we have a group which has restored much of the old Hillsborough and Salem Railway, which was part of the ICR - Inter-Colonial Railway and they also have working trains and the station has also been restored.

I will find the link for it and post it. I also like to see all the old military aircraft restored to flyable condition. We have been lucky here, every summer for the past 20 years almost, I get to not only see these old birds fly, but there is a fleet of Avengers which have been used by FPL for decades as water bombers. The sound of them old radials as they power up, taxi, take off and of course fly over MY HOUSE at very low altitudes both on take off and landing is indescribeable... awesome!

Will find the links for that too..

Be nice to visit New Zealand some day.. but that is far off and after I win the lotto.. :!: :idea: :shock: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:59 pm

WOW :!: Looks like you had alot of fun W6NZ :!:

That is a very nice looking locomotive...

Johnny

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Here are the links for the Salem and Hillsboruough Railroad

Engine 1009

Smithsonian cover page..

These Avengers are the only TBM's still flying as a fleet in the world. Seems 3 are already sold.... darn... I sure Hope I get to see them this summer. The AgCats that they are replacing them with are nice, but don't hold a candle to them at all...

See the article on Forest Protection Ltd website.

This has to be a must read article.. especially for History Buff's and anyone with a $150,000.00 US -- that would buy an Avenger.. right click and save target as... Avenger Signing.pdf. This particular bird is one of the most common that has been over my house in the last 20 years... :!: :shock: 8) wayyyy 8) 8)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:09 pm

There's something about those steam engines, whether it be nostalgia or what, they look sooo good. Thanks for those links Rudi I'll take a look.
Yes its great that there are people prepared to salvage and restore our links from the past, it would be tragic if it ever was lost.

Sounds like we have very similar demos, In the south Island there is a flying display of old war birds,the pageant is War birds over Wanaka, and it gets a great following. One of our pilots from the 2nd WW, (Sir) Tim Wallace, unfortunately crashed his Spitfire and was severely injured it was only modern day medicine that helped him to survive.
Long may it all continue.

Return to “Off Topic”