This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

EZ-OUTS

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:40 am

WKPoor wrote:One tip- if a scew is tight and the drive is about to round out put a dab of water based valve grinding past on the bit tip. You'll amazed at how good you can grip with that stuff. I sometimes use it to install screws that feel like don't fit the driver well. That way I don't leave a trap for the next guy. There is a product called screw grap on the market, buts its really just grinding compound.

Hi Bill, do you think you could either expand your subject a little or a photo.
I think that there is a transatlantic term difference here. Are tou talking about a slotted head screw or a hex head screw like a bolt, perhaps I am just being a little dim this morning, but it sounds very interesting and I would like to get to the base line, Thanks Pat

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 am

Pat, they are talking about slotted head screws. I believe Bill's tip applies to either straight slot or Phillips head screws.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:45 am

I was getting ready to jump into this melee and state that , although I've never had very good luck with EZouts, I was told that if the proper drill size is used first, the chance of success is good. I was shown that a drill bit size is stamped on the different size EZouts. But reading George's drove home the idea :idea: that there are, in fact, two different environments that we are talking about. The mostly modern, and the rusty iron. I've worn that "Kick Me" sign on my back many times and I am afraid of using the EZouts anymore. I think it was John#^*)Cub Owner that mentioned the Craftsman bolt removal sockets that work very well if a very little of the shaft is remaining above the surface. I bought a set and have used them many times. Larry

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:37 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here about removing bolts broke off in cast is that they can be burnt out with a torch. Of coarse there may by times when on a fully assembled tractor that isn't practical but I've burnt out bolts on cast where the heat won't hurt anything and it can be the safest way to save the threads. A large bolt(say 3/8" or larger) I would totally agree an EZout would not be the way to go. I however do have a snap-on set that goes up fairly large. These are very unlikely to break especially the large ones. I've never broke one off and I've used them hundreds of times at work. I have another set there too.

The valve grinding compound is in my box everytime I start to remove panels. Sometimes I just smear a little over all the screws before I attempt to remove them just so I don't have to fight any or risk rounding out the drive and be forced to do the nasty EZout.
The pictured EZ's are also available fron Mac and are the same in my opinion. I have both makes. At work I have a set of the skinnies in a set from Snap-On that have the left hand drill next to each out in the proper size. The really trick set are at work that have the drill on one side and the out on the other on the same bit. The sprial flut is real short on those.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:46 pm

WK
I bet they are exspensive :?: :?:
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:59 am

I expect they are, all Snapon stuff is.
BUT guaranteed for life.
I was once with the snapon rep in his travelling showroom when somone local came in and asked for a replacement for a screwdriver that the corner of the blade had broken. No question it was replaced, he had bought the tool some 12 years before.
I was impressed!
What I am saying is that they are good tools if you use them often they will repay the extra cost.
Pat

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 am

What I am saying is that they are good tools if you use them often they will repay the extra cost.

I agree with you about Snapon tools, from what I hear. I could never afford them, or couldn't justify the expense. I'm one of those guys that take tools out in the field in my pants pocket. After I'm on my back for a few hours working on some broken part I really don't canvass the area in search of tools. I just want to go to the house. I figure that a high quality tool will seldom break if used properly. Although I have worn out 12 point sockets and wrenches. Most common abuse is the screwdriver used as a pry bar. :oops: Until a few years ago, I had always relied on Craftsman and SK tools. But it seems that the Craftsman tool quality is not what it was at one time. And I don't know where you can return SK tools. Lately I have been buying Chinese replacement tools. The quality of the tools is becoming consistently better. I dislike saying that, though. I have always taken pride in my American made tool collection. But where are all the tools made anymore? I don't really know. I have stated this before, but I'll say again. American and European businesses have sold the latest in their technology to the Chinese over the last several years. How can the Chinese not be able to produce high quality products? They are not stupid and they are motivated. I don't want to make a political statement, but in my opinion, it's reality. Somewhere down the road you have to give people what they want at a comparable value. My 2 cents. Larry

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:50 pm

I have never used these "left drill bits" are they located at any hardware store? :)

Return to “Off Topic”