This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Building Code

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

No Building Code

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:15 am

The City doesn't have building codes but does have a zoning code/committee. Zoning code pertains to exterior property appearance.

The north side of the fixer upper house has a concrete pad extending 34' from the house to the street and almost the width of the property. 17 degree slope and the concrete was poured over the ground with no footings. The concrete has broken up and slid down the slope.

Son and I are breaking up the concrete and hauling to acreage ditch. Found that portions of the top of clay tile sewer line was flush with the soil top and broken.

Sewer line runs down the center of the property. Waiting for things to dry up to dig out the sewer line at the top and bottom of the slope. Get elevation measurements then apply for construction authorization from the zoning committe and authorization to excavate on city property.

The new construction will lower the sewer line to a minimum of 2 feet below grade, reduce the slope and expand the parking to 25 feet long from a new patio to street and 50 feet wide.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: No Building Code

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:21 am

If you haven't already done so, I would determine where the City's responsibility stops and yours starts relative to that sewer lateral.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:47 am

Don McCombs wrote:If you haven't already done so, I would determine where the City's responsibility stops and yours starts relative to that sewer lateral.
Been there. City is responsible only for the main sewer line. Service lines/laterals are the private property owners' responsibility.

Also determined the depth of the main sewer line. 6' below street. City has the sanitary sewers mapped. But not the storm sewers or sanitary sewer laterals. City doesn't know where the storm sewers go.

City currently has only one full maintenance employee, the Supervisor. Thinking the other full time employees left when else where the starting wage is over $20- per hour. The Supervisor retires next month. Have asked that the Supervisor visit with me and provide authorization to excavate city property.

Edit for my previous post. Was adding gravel on back of home, same town as fixer upper. Found the top of a sewer line addition was inches below the ground surface. Also, while metal detecting have found live electric lines and propane lines inches below the soil surface. I'm a firm believer in building codes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:20 pm

Eugene wrote:I'm a firm believer in building codes.

My opinion.... Is just the opposite!

By all means, if someone wants permits and inspections, I would not deny them that, but at the same time, I want to decline any government intervention!

I have saw licensed pros do shoddy work!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch