This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sparrow Problem

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Sparrow Problem

Postby Brent » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:30 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: I have a real problem with English Sparrows. Must have a couple hundred of them messing everything up. Even have one smart one that spends the night in the garrage doing his thing on my truck all night, then leaving in the morning when I open the door. I've tried owl decoys, bebe gun, silver streamers, rousting them out of the trees they perch in just before dark but none of it works. Even borrowed a propane cannon from a friend. That kept them away as long as it was here all day but it also brought the sheriff wanting to know what I was doing. Must have a PETA member in the neighborhood! Anybody have a solution other than burning the place down?
Always try the easiest thing first.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:13 pm

Brent,

I see that you have horses and probably some waste grain, feed and horse manure around where the sparrows can get at it. The first step is to eliminate as much of the food source as possible. No food, no sparrows. With that done, you might try to trap what birds remain. I haven't personally used the following trap, but I've heard that they work. Might be worth a try. Good luck.

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:18 pm

you tried those plug in rodent devices they got at most hard ware stores. ive heard tell they work for birds as well.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:52 pm

I'm not sure how to get rid of them. I have a Starling problem sometimes. I put my Marten boxes up Sunday and I saw a couple of Starlings eyeballing them today. A lot of them around here die of lead poisoning.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:52 pm

local horse folks here used to make a trap:

Bore a couple of 1 1/4" holes in a plastic 5 gallon bucket. Put feed in the bucket. The sparrows fly in, gorge themselves, and cannot get back out of the bucket. You drill the holes near the top of the bucket, and put a lid on it, and put about 1" of feed in the bottom.

You can hang the bucket trap up in your trusses.

The birds ultimately die of thirst, after about a week. I've seen it work.

Bury dead birds in your potato patch. They make good fertilizer.

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:53 pm

good luck :? i have the same problem in my barn. I use a bb gun to shoot them and will probally eventually knock my eye out or crack a windshield. I dont really think you can win with them. I learned to keep anything you really want clean covered....

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Brent I had the same problem with birds "Crappin" on My car. I park My little convertible grocery-getter in a 45 foot reefer trailer (garage) to keep it out of the weather and it was always getting s**t on so much to the point I had to clean the windshield before each use. I solved that problem a year ago by going to Wal-Mart and buying a Horned Owl replica that is in the garden section. I hung that Owl at the back door entrance to the trailer and My little car has been Bird S**t free ever since. :twisted: :twisted:
Then came Bronson

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:31 pm

I have heard of hanging up a strobe light and turning it on. After a few days, no sparrows. :roll:

http://www.bird-x.com/products/blite.html
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 pm

I never have a sparrow problem here, except for those that claim my bluebird boxes and clean out the feeders. For the barn, I just keep the doors closed. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

W6NZ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby W6NZ » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:36 pm

I just keep the doors closed.

Seems to me that's the only way to keep some control of the blighters.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:27 am

W6NZ wrote:Seems to me that's the only way to keep some control of the blighters.

Oh, no. Don't tell me that English Sparrows have invaded Kiwiland as well?

Well, we can thank our common English parentage for being able to speak to each other from opposite sides of the earth, but the English could have kept their Rats, and their Sparrows. :shock:

Perhaps, if we trapped sufficient quantities of live specimens of both, and sent them, via post, to England, we could enlist the UK's help in dealing with these 2 menaces. Or at least we'd feel a lot better, anyway. :twisted:

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:14 am

Brent

My friend and I have been struggling with them on our blue bird trail and martin houses for years. They will get into the boxes peck the young Bluebirds/Martins to death then, Build right over the top of them. I spent a couple summers eliminating them and when I saw another male come in, the shotgun came out,They are sneaky after a while. The key is to " Get the males." they are the territory holders,keep food stuffs to a minimum. Get all the young removed before they fledge. and above all else good old persistance. You will thin them greatly. But like I say" GET THE MALES". Black markings on their faces.
Good luck, Up Hill Battle. Won't eliminate them completelty but you will get them thinned. Keep at them.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

phantom
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby phantom » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:48 am

sounds to me like you got good advice, but my sparrow problem ended when i baited ordinary 4 way mouse traps with bread. great source for cat food too.
phantom

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:55 am

stay away from the BB gun, i did that as a kid in our shed, and ended up having to fill all the holes in the tin with caulk. use other methods. unless you like climbing roofs.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:02 am

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I bought a pellet rifle at Wal-Mart yesterday with a scope. Once I got it sighted in the war started. That little bugger is really accurate. After about fifteen they wouldn't come around any more but they'll be back today. At that rate, I should have them thinned out some. I was talking to a friend and he mentioned that the power company installed CD players in their substations that play Hawk calls. They've had good results in keeping the ravens and other nesting birds out. I'm going to call today and see what's up. We have a substation near by so I took a ride over on the horse and sure enough I could here the Hawk calls. Didn't see any birds either.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Off Topic”