This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

flu shot

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

flu shot

Postby jakeesspoo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Got my flu shot on friday at work. It had been delayed because of shortages, in fact they still didnt get as much in ass they wanted so they were going to ask supervisors if you wanted one and if too many people signed up they were gonna do a lottery to see who got one :!: :oops: I knew my employer Delphi and GM were in trouble but raffling off flu shots sounded a bit too much. :? Anyways I signed up like most every year and got my shot (they must have had enough) and was sick as a dog all weekend. Weather it was a coincedence or not I dont know but I havent been that sick in a long time. Couldnt even move my knees ached so bad, but had to hit can every 20 minutes. Im still not feeling up to par but went to work yesterday and today anyways. Might as well get paid. Boy was I upset :!: Lost my whole weekend and had planned on going hunting. I think next year Ill skip the shot and take my chances. it couldnt be much worse than what I had to go thru this year. :!:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 pm

Not likely that it was a reaction to the shot. You just coincidently got the intestinal bug that's going around. :mrgreen:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:18 pm

In earlier years, it was common to get a "mild" case of flu from the flu shot. That is not the case in the last 10 years or so, unless your immune system is severely depressed for some other reason. (Had you just finished taking a run of a strong antibiotic recently before the shot?)

Otherwise, chances are, you picked it up in the process of getting the shot. While the person giving the shot and the needle is relatively safe, it is still an invasive procedure, and airborne viruses can enter the body in that way. Also, you would have been exposed to people in closer quarters than typical.

Next year, you may wish to have your doctor do the flu shot for you, and pay the $30, just to avoid the risk of contamination. Just do it early, before there are a lot of sick people in the office.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I survived pneumonia in 2003, but it was life threatening. I've been warned that flu can be equally dangerous. I'll be the first in line for the shot.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:54 pm

The ride was fun and the siren exciting but I'll try to avoid a repeat.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 am

George Willer wrote:I survived pneumonia in 2003, but it was life threatening. I've been warned that flu can be equally dangerous. I'll be the first in line for the shot.

:roll: George, I was in the hospital for 12-days in 93 with pneumonia that I got while in there for a knee operation. One nurse later told me that the nurses were taking bets on if I would walk out of there or be carried out on a gurney. Damb near didn`t make it through that ordeal. I still haven`t got my flu shot this year for the first time in years and now I might just skip it this late in the flu season. :shock:
Then came Bronson

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:05 am

years ago the flu shot could be fatal, i agree with 400#, my aunt, died from the swine flu shot in 1977, i put off the flu shot for years. but finally gave in and now get it every year due to the variety of ailments that make it a necessity for me to take it. i plan it around weekends that are light, so i can rest in case something does come up. but better to get it a little bit, then a full blown case.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:50 am

Years ago the shots contained the live virus and you could get a mild case or the full blown flu if your immune system was down. Today they use a killed virus so you shouldn't get a reaction from the shot. At least that's what my doctor told me this year. He also said clinics arn't a good idea unless that's your only option because of the concentrated population.
Always try the easiest thing first.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:41 pm

:roll: I take a flu shot every nite. Their are so many different types of flu I do not know how much good a shot for one does for another. Other then the brown bottle type I do not seem to catch a cold or flu. I do wash my hands 20 to 40 times a day. Drink Lotts of pulpy orange juice and chicken noodle soup. Use to catch colds and flu all the time summer or winter when I worked in the landfill. I think that was from all the molds, dust and bacriera in the demo buildings we used for a driving surface there.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Postby jakeesspoo » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:53 pm

yeah maybe it was just a coincedence, but it wouldnt have been from getting the shot at work. The nurse gave it to me in our "hospital" and its just as clean if not more than a doctors office. One nice thing about being in a union shop is we have two certified nurses on duty at all times a doctor on certain days of the week and plenty of first responders for floor accidents :D Got my hand caught in a hydraulic gate on a machine once and once they found me it was almost less than a minute before our first responders were there with an ambulance and they were extremely well prepared. A call goes in to security with your location they hit a button and dispatch all the volunteer first responders by a pager with your location :) When that call goes in those people move, they deffinately know how to take care of their own :D

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Jake good to know that the unions are looking after you.
In France our shots are given in October November, it is said that later is no good.
I dont shot like Cowboy, since I've not worked in schools i've not had even a bad cold, summer or winter, now i'm for it! sure to get one now!
I however agree with George having been a pneumonia case twice and have the scars on my lungs to prove it, I will one day have to think about preventive medicine for flu, hope I don't wait too long
Pat

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:19 am

Gentlemen,

Pneumonia is a dangerous thing, and there are myriad types of pneumonia.

My wife caught pneumonia in 1998, while working in the intensive care unit of a local hospital. The patient did not recover, and died. My wife spent most of the next year in the hospital, and although technically "recovered" from the pneumonia, her lungs were so badly damaged, that she became disabled, and suffered chronic pain until her death in 2004. Although not technically the "reason" for her demise, it was the cause of a downward spiral that took a healthy 45 year old nurse, who enjoyed working 70 hour weeks to a confused invalid who required the services of a nursing home in the course of 6 short years. Her organs ultimately failed one by one, including her brain, which was ultimately her cause of death. All this from Pneumonia. It would have been more merciful, in retrospect, if she had not recovered from the original illness.

I have had pneumonia twice, that was documented, and three additional times that my doctor treated it as "chest infection, not otherwise specified". I can tell it when it comes, by the inexplicable fatigue and fevers, and lacking the ability to cough up any congestion, otherwise, pneumonia is almost asymptomatic with me, and many others (hence the term "walking pneumonia").

One interesting recent development, however, is that the classic "pneumonia buster" expectorant, prescription guafenesin (sp??) is now available under the over-the-counter brand "mucinex", and for those of you with a chest cold that won't submit, I suggest highly that you give it a try, before it turns into pneumonia. 2 tablets, twice or 3X daily, regardless of what the directions say.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 am

Jake Wilken wrote:yeah maybe it was just a coincedence, but it wouldnt have been from getting the shot at work. The nurse gave it to me in our "hospital" and its just as clean if not more than a doctors office. One nice thing about being in a union shop is we have two certified nurses on duty at all times a doctor on certain days of the week and plenty of first responders for floor accidents :D Got my hand caught in a hydraulic gate on a machine once and once they found me it was almost less than a minute before our first responders were there with an ambulance and they were extremely well prepared. A call goes in to security with your location they hit a button and dispatch all the volunteer first responders by a pager with your location :) When that call goes in those people move, they deffinately know how to take care of their own :D

Jake,

There is also the possibility that you are allergic (or sensitive) to a constituent of the vaccine. They use varying stabilizers these days, as well as base components, and it is difficult to say what exactly comprises the "non viral" part of the vaccine.

Bear in mind that my daughter is autistic due to a mercury-compound stabilizer that they used in the first year of the chicken-pox vaccine. There was a virtual epidemic of autism, with only that one single common factor, and although we did not join in the lawsuit, the link between the vaccine and autism was proven.

That year, the vaccination was "elective", and although she would have ultimately had to have it before starting school, it was my decision to give it to her that very first year. That's #1 on my life-long guilt list.

Return to “Off Topic”