This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Years Day, a time to look Forward, Back and at Biofuels

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Years Day, a time to look Forward, Back and at Biofuels

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Just as Christmas always seems to me to be a time to look back. New Years Day seems a time to look forward.

Looking forward is always a scarey prospect. As Scrooge said to the Spirit of Christmas Yet to Come, "Spectre, I fear thee most of all." A great many things to be learned from Mr. Dickens. :twisted:

And yet, from the last year, we have learned much. We have been reminded how fragile the "trappings" of man are compared to the forces of nature. We saw one of our oldest cities, New Orleans, all but obliterated. We saw the modern cities of Japan shaken apart by earthquakes, and the primitive towns of the Himalayas destroyed by them. Mostly, though, Americans learn through the pains of their pocketbooks. This is not meant to be overly critical, and I am no better than anyone else on this one. My own expenses at the gas pump are likely what has prompted me to take my head out of the sand (or my posterior) after many years of intentionally ignoring world events.

Mostly, what we will remember about 2005, will be that it was the year that gasoline prices topped $3 a gallon for the first time. I say "first" because it will certainly not be the last.

Our own oil reserves in the US supply us with about 30% of our petroleum usage. This will decrease slowly over the next 2 decades until it's all gone. Right now, we import 40% of our petroleum from Canada. They have been finding new and improved ways to meet our needs, and will likely continue to do so for the forseeable future.

The rest of our oil supply is dreadfully unstable. Leftist Regimes such as Venezuela, and Islamic Fundementalist states comprise the remainder.

And what of our Canadian neighbours? They are our sharpest environmental critics, and our government is about as unsympathetic to their concerns as it can possibly be. I can see a future where Canada penalizes our use of fossil fuels, by tarrifing, or limiting our oil supply. So perhaps our Canadian fuel supply is not as stable as we have lulled ourselves into believing.

We need to realize that even our national security is jeopardized severely by this reliance on foreign petroleum of any kind. We are so hated that it is not inconceivable that we could one day be on the receiving end of a worldwide petroleum boycott. This would also pretty much affect our ability to wage war, as we still do power most of our war machines with petroleum based fuels. Not to mention that we are a major polluter, although our motor fuel pollution is merely a drop in the bucket, so to speak, compared to our total pollution as a country. The US, UK, Russia, China and Japan have pretty much damned our climate to severe changes at this point in time. All we can do is minimize the damage at this point.

2005 also saw the world demanding the end of our agricultural subsidies (along with those of the EU, namely France), at the recent WTO conference. We have, in essence, all but complied, and have set timetables to do exactly that. What are we going to do with all that land when it doesn't pay to grow the corn, wheat, and soybeans anymore? Believe me, the WTO has it's hands firmly grasped on the rug, and is merely awaiting the nod from our government, or possibly that of the UN, to pull it out from under us.

All of these events point forward to one possible solution: Biofuels.

Now, whether you think that climate change is breathing down our necks as we speak, like me, or is a century away, I don't think anyone can disagree with the principals behind the conversion to biofuels as soon as possible. What we need, however, is a grass-roots plan of action, and who, really is more grass-roots than we here at farmallcub.com?

Gentlemen, I have thrown out the topic, and I, and a few others, eagerly await your discussion.

Thanks, and may you all be blessed in the coming year with all that you wish for.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:48 pm

I totally agree Tom, we do need to start looking at the possibilities of alternative fuels. The only thing is that these types of Biofuels are very very scarce, around here, there is NO body who makes/supplies it. I hope to use it/make it when I get the Brock...

Well said.

Johnny

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:17 pm

Jostev bio diesel will be much more common though you may not know it. Fuel suppliers and distrubutors do not have to tell you ther is bio diesel in their fuels. As the move to ultra low sulfer content continues. The prossing to make diesel removes All the luberication qualites of diesel. They have to add lubercantant OR use bio diesel in it as bio d has no sulfer in it and has superior luberication comparied to std diesel.

400 cub I have looked into making bio d but the time and continued cost of buying prossing supplies have turned me away from it. The cost may come down as methinal becomes more common. But when I make my switch I will run SVO (strait vegatable oil) As that way you only have startup costs. Basically with SVO you start up and shut off on diesel or bio diesel. The SVO has to be +130 degrees to run on so a seprate tank and heaters are needed for it. Most peaple use a combination of electric heaters and heater lines from the engine.

I do not like having others control how live and work and I feel we need to do somthing to get some control of our lives back in our hands.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Cowboy wrote:400 cub I have looked into making bio d but the time and continued cost of buying prossing supplies have turned me away from it. The cost may come down as methinal becomes more common. But when I make my switch I will run SVO (strait vegatable oil) As that way you only have startup costs. Basically with SVO you start up and shut off on diesel or bio diesel. The SVO has to be +130 degrees to run on so a seprate tank and heaters are needed for it. Most peaple use a combination of electric heaters and heater lines from the engine.

I do not like having others control how live and work and I feel we need to do somthing to get some control of our lives back in our hands.

Billy

Billy,

It is possible (and practical) to produce biodiesel from ethanol and potash as opposed to methanol and caustic soda. The reaction is virtually identical, although some of the chemistry is a little more "precise", and the process is less water tolerant. From a cost perspective, this is great, because both the ethanol and the potash can be produced at home as well, although there's not much one can do about the time involved. It is, however, a summertime project for those of us north of the mason-dixon line, and is best done indoors, in some sort of shed.

Ethanol from a sugary feedstock, like green sweetcorn stalks, sugar beets, or Jerusalem Artichoke stalks can easily be produced at home in sufficient quantity. The only hangup is that the distillation process will only yield 180 proof (90% pure) alcohol. The remaining water needs to be removed by running the alcohol through a hydrophilic substance, like say, rock salt or dessicated corn solids, as 200 proof (100%) ethanol is needed for ethyl esterification of fats.

The by-products of burning the dried residues from the feedstocks to fire the still are ash, which will provide you with some of the needed potash.
Additionally, if you burn the waste soap-glycerin-potash cake by-product of the biodiesel process, as a still fuel, you will recover much of the potash again. If you don't choose to burn it, it is still a high-quality, high-potash organic fertilizer, but you'll have to get your potash from something else then.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:15 am

This has merit, but I have a feeling it won't see the light of day. ?????

http://governor.mt.gov/hottopics/faqsynthetic.asp

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:19 am

Here's why.

By the 1950s, America was producing thousands of gallons of synthetic gasoline a day at a test plant in Missouri. But the discovery of cheap oil, combined with a lobbying effort by the oil industry, caused the government to abandon its synfuel research. During the oil crisis in the late 1970s, the federal government briefly discussed synfuel production, but abandoned the idea when the price of oil receded

Add in what ever date(s) you wish.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:11 am

Well boys, here is what we are doing in this part of the US right now as far as a coal-to-oil project. The owners of the company are not good people, and are the heirs to both Reading Anthracite and Reading Railroad fortunes. But here is the link. http://www.ultracleanfuels.com/pdf/coalwaste.pdf

Now, the problem with all of this is what to do with what we "scrub out" of the gas stream. Anthracite coal is pretty clean as far as coal goes, with a pure carbon content of 80% or better, however, there will be a lot of liquid waste products in suspension that, if I had to bet, will be poured down old mine shafts here in the area. I will be far below the water table, so I guess in some ways it's ok, but to my mind, anything we bury usually comes back to haunt us later on.

Gilberton, BTW was the place where Teddy Roosevelt came to personally mediate negotiations of a miner's strike in the early part of the century, which extended into December, and had Bostonites burning their furniture to keep from freezing to death. The miner's got their money, and coal prices nearly doubled that year, as the Reading supply system was a monopoly to the American Northeast.

No matter how you look at it, however, coal is still a fossil fuel, and takes carbon out of the earth, where it should be left to sit happily until the end of time, and pours it into the atmosphere as CO2. Now if you drive through Gilberton, PA, you will see massive piles of coal waste....stuff that at the time was too small to use, mixed with rock, in piles that in most states would be called mountains. The only trees that grow on these manmade mountains are the white paperbark birch. The white trees on the bare black soil is an interesting contrast. This has been Gilberton's legacy from the Reading Company. On the other hand, it's one of the few places where you can still buy a 3-bedroom home for $6,000. If you heat with coal, you merely have to go out your back door, and pick it up off the ground.

What we need are fuels that take the CO2 out of the air before putting it back in, and hence are called "CO2 neutral".

Similar technologies exist for creating a crude oil product from waste wood. Something that would do all of us a lot more good in the long run.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:52 am

T. Roosevelt mediated in the 1903 coal miners strike in Washington. The White House was being renovated at the time so the talks were held at a residence, 22 Jackson Place rings a bell. Roosevelt was temporarily in a wheelchair following leg surgery to remove a blood clot. He had nearly lost his life when his carrage collided with a trolley car, his body guard was killed. Roosevelt delegated most of the work to his cabinet members Knox and Root. While he was concerned about the strike, which was approaching the 6 month mark,(again from memory), he was even more focus on trust, or "combinations". There were some reports of Bostonians burning furniture, but the main concerns were hospitals, which were supplied with coconut hulls to burn.
Roosevelt did take a train ride through Penn, during the early period of the strike. He was on his way to the midwest, and invited Senator Quay to ride through and brief him on the strike. Perhaps there was a stop in Gilberton, but internal reports state that the President was in great pain with his poorly healing leg, and most "whistle-stops were cancelled.
I believe the coal prices moderated after the end of the strike.

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:23 am

hr's49cub wrote:T. Roosevelt mediated in the 1903 coal miners strike in Washington. The White House was being renovated at the time so the talks were held at a residence, 22 Jackson Place rings a bell. Roosevelt was temporarily in a wheelchair following leg surgery to remove a blood clot. He had nearly lost his life when his carrage collided with a trolley car, his body guard was killed. Roosevelt delegated most of the work to his cabinet members Knox and Root. While he was concerned about the strike, which was approaching the 6 month mark,(again from memory), he was even more focus on trust, or "combinations". There were some reports of Bostonians burning furniture, but the main concerns were hospitals, which were supplied with coconut hulls to burn.
Roosevelt did take a train ride through Penn, during the early period of the strike. He was on his way to the midwest, and invited Senator Quay to ride through and brief him on the strike. Perhaps there was a stop in Gilberton, but internal reports state that the President was in great pain with his poorly healing leg, and most "whistle-stops were cancelled.
I believe the coal prices moderated after the end of the strike.

Indeed you are correct. My information was taken from a discovery channel biography enititled "an american lion", rather than internet research. A good, brief summation of the 1902 anthracite strike is here:
http://www.stfrancis.edu/ba/ghkickul/stuwebs/btopics/works/anthracitestrike.htm
Addditionally, the strike did not continue into December, as we had been taught in school, but rather through october, it seems. Late October in Boston is pretty darn cold already, though.

The coal companies in the southern anthracite fields were all owned at least in part by the Reading Company, or the Girard Estate, which sold its coal to the Reading Company for distribution. This is the same family that is creating the coal to oil plant here now. Other recent abominations on their part have been culm (powdered coal and rock combined) fired co-generation plants that occaisionally coat our cars with layers of orange fly-ash from 15 miles away.

I believe that the northern anthracite fields, serviced by the lackawanna company continued producing coal during the strike, but most of this was used as rail fuel.

If I get the opportunity, I will take some pictures of Reading Anthracite's St. Nicholas Breaker, the largest coal breaker ever built, just outside of Gilberton, before it is torn down, as it is in derelect condition, and just sitting there.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:00 am

400 Cub If you get up their to take pictures could you please take one of the birch on the coal piles I would love to see that.

I am what I call 80% person. I get the first 80% of a project done and can never seem to finish it. I also have a hard time getting started so once I do I don't stop for anything untill I run out of supplies or am too tired to stand up. Its with the knolage of my strenghts and weakness as a person that I decide to go with SVO. I need somthing I can set up once and then do large batchs of fuel at one time. I want to do about 2000 gal at a time. And doing that once at harvest time appeals to me. Bio d on the other hand with the washing, bubling, settling and testing for free fatty acids. The time of the multple prosses and the time involved with starting stoping waiting then repeat. Works aginst the type of person I am.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:49 am

My information was taken from a discovery channel biography enititled "an american lion", rather than internet research.

My information was taken from a book I read.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:20 am

I guess you guys get to do a lot of reading while on Auto piolet.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:38 am

Es ist verboten! When I'm sitting in a hotel, instead of watching mind-numbing news loops........I read.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:54 am

Bio diesel is something I would like to try, but the startup is expensive, especially for what I actually use. I reun jet fuel in the 880 and backhoe which is sumped from the planes at work. If biodiesel is available locally, I would purchase that and just run the jet fuel in the heating oil tank. I like the idea of paying our farmaers to produce fuel. ethanol or biodiesel. since the subsidies are going by the wayside as a result of the WTO and other America hating groups (while the other countries still subsidize their businnesses) I would gladly burn all domestically produced fuels (given the option), especially bio-fuels.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:02 pm

hr's49cub Ok that is a much better pass time. Mind numbing covers it.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Off Topic”