This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

home income tax software

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

home income tax software

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:38 pm

i was wondering what software those of you that do your taxes at home use, and how you like it. I've been using Turbo Tax, but am not completely satisfied with it and was wondering what you use.
Thanks
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:08 am

John:

I use Intuit's Qucik Tax. I think they market a US version. We have been using Quick Tax for years - since 1998 at least. Tried Turbo and got rid of it. Tried another one and got rid of that one. With Quick Tax, it is easy as 1-2-3. Any you thought a W-2 was hard -- come to Canada :!:

Hmmmm. looks like Intuit also makes Turbo-Tax..... Quick Tax is much better...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:28 pm

Thanks rudi. Actually the W2 is not that difficult, it's the ohter incomes that can be a killer. LOL

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:59 pm

I have been using TurboTax for a long time. I wasn't totally happy with it either and decided to try something else. This was for tax year 2002 and I tried TaxCut, which seemed to be about the only major alternative at the time.

WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS!!!!

TaxCut is the package peddled by H&R Block. I should have known not to expect much. The program was buggy and hard to use. As I recall, I had to switch over to basic "forms mode" for a lot of what I needed to do. I was afraid I was going to have to go out at the last minute and find a copy of Turbotax to get my taxes done.

This piece of &*% was also bundled with a copy of Kiplinger's "Home and Business Attorney" which I thought would be a source of some forms I was using at the time. I never was able to use that turkey. I don't remember whether it crashed when I tried to load it or when I tried to run it. In either case, I never did get anything useful out of it. Some web searches at the time revealed that others had run into the same problem and not been able to get it resolved. So I just quit messing with it.

Ever since, I have stuck with TurboTax. By the way, I use the "basic" edition. I haven't seen any real need for the bells and whistles of the fancier editions.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:10 pm

If you are doing a simple tax or even Estate or Trust forms I find that you can download them from the IRS and type in what you need and save them on your computer. You had to do the form on line and print it a couple of years back. Now they come with rights in Acrobat. I found that means you can down load the form on to your computer and fill it in bit by bit as you have the info saving what you have done and adding what else is necessary later. I have run an Excell sheet with the numbers in it in an other window and do the required Math in Excell. Not as easy as Turbo but this is for stuff Turbo doesn't cover. I have to do an ammended 1041 for an Estate that will result in Net Operating Loss (NOL) for 2003.which will mean carring the loss back to 2001 & 2002 = carry forward to 2004 & 2005 and K1 to bring the unrealized loss to the beneficiary's or Heirs bewcause of the size of it. All the forms are on line and down loadable with rights. If it sounds like a bunch of stuff, to work with, You are right but it is available.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Due to the suggestions of everyone here, plus some others I talked too I decided to go ahead and get turboTax, even though all the stores are flooded with Tax Cut, and it is $10 cheaper. I purchased it at Office Nax, and when I got home there was a receipt for a $20 mail in rebate form Office Max (not Intuit) in the bag with the receipts. good on purchases before Feb, 07, 2006. guess I done good this time.

Return to “Off Topic”